Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Nov 2023 at 9:59 PM
Default DDS with mipmaps
I want to create a visual effect for my mod, which copies from an existing effect with an DDS image with 6 mipmaps. But when I create my own it breaks the game. Does someone know the right compression/ format and way to create mipmaps for visual effects?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 11th Nov 2023 at 10:42 PM
TS3 only supports DXT1 to DXT5. The DDS plugin for Photoshop (and likely GIMP too) has an option to generate mipmaps, as well as to view them when opening a file.

If you actually need to modify them in a way the game isn't supporting, you will most likely need to find an example of what you want already implemented in the game and replicate it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Nov 2023 at 10:53 PM
I'm working with Gimp and already tried different DXT5 compressions but couldn'd figure out the correct way. And for generating mipmaps there are also alot of different algorithms.

Do you know mods which use their own visual effects and not just overrides?
Forum Resident
#4 Old 12th Nov 2023 at 2:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rites
I'm working with Gimp and already tried different DXT5 compressions but couldn'd figure out the correct way. And for generating mipmaps there are also alot of different algorithms.

Do you know mods which use their own visual effects and not just overrides?

For GIMP .dds, first thing that can crash a game is if the image is not standard. I learned this the hard way... by crashing my game! Somehow, the texture size got altered. Anyway... 1024 x 1024 is most garments. Some accessories use 512 x 512, 256 x 256, I have seen 256 x 512. Probably others. 2048 x 2048 is also used, but only for very detailed work, and that is often lost in game anyway. Large images also stress the game. DXT5 is used for most, and DXT1 often for speculars. GIMP automatically creates mips when you check the box during export. You know to set compression, and generate mips is in the same pop up, down a bit. Click the arrow and select to generate them.

Your other question is far too general. No one has a clue what you are trying to make. I recently made time portal that is just a rock, but kept the effects for the time portal. I place the rock in the center of Simhenge.

Also, check the dowloads section. I believe there was a tool made that has to do with various effects. It may help you?

Shiny, happy people make me puke!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Nov 2023 at 2:22 PM
Thanks for the answer, but the size is correct. I want to replace the image for the socialplusfx (the blue friendship sign above a sims head). I have the same Image size, the same compression and format, the same amount of mipmaps and it still breaks my game so bad, that I have to reinstall it -_-

I tried uploading the my dds file, but i get "Error 102 Unable to determine game type!"
Forum Resident
#6 Old 13th Nov 2023 at 3:37 PM
Thanks for the answer, but the size is correct. I want to replace the image for the socialplusfx (the blue friendship sign above a sims head). I have the same Image size, the same compression and format, the same amount of mipmaps and it still breaks my game so bad, that I have to reinstall it -_-

I tried uploading the my dds file, but i get "Error 102 Unable to determine game type!"

OK... 1st thing, NEVER EVER replace ANYTHING inside of the C:Programs files!!! If you really know what you are doing, or have reliable detailed instructions, maybe okay, but even then, make a back up.

The way the game reads files, is C:Programs first, then what you have in the Mods folder, as directed by your resource.cfg. The game uses whatever it reads last.

If you ever open a C:Program package with s3pe, always click "don't save", to be certain you did not accidentally change anything in there.

Not sure where "socialplusfx" is. I looked in places where IMG or IMAG files are usually found, but did not see it, so cannot get very specific. FYI... I have many of the C:Program packages COPIED to a folder on my desktop, and work from those. Where is this "socialplusfx" IMAG????

Generally, when making any type of "default" replacement, even just an IMG or IMAG, the part needs to have the same reskey so the game sees it as a replacement. Make it in a new, separate package. Name the package what you want, as long as the internal info matches as default. Place the new package in Packages folder. Overrides folder is usually not necessary.

And, I got that error before, but forget what I did to get around it. Sorry.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Nov 2023 at 4:40 PM Last edited by Rites : 13th Nov 2023 at 4:59 PM.
Thanks for working so hard to help me

The socialplusfx is a visual effect in the Sims3Effects _SWB in FullBuild0.package. This uses multiple _IMG from FullBuild2.package. I'm using Dentons VFX Tool to copy the effect and make my own.

The original Image I try to change is called headline_social_0xe6e72c39896a0b29. By changing the respective IID of the resource for the particle effect I can change it to my image. I know this works, because when I export the original picture, just rename it and put it into my own package I can use my effect with the effect machine. But if I try to edit the picture the game breaks. I'm not changing anything in the installation folder, I put everything in my own package and then in the mod folder.

Edit: some more info about the picture: 64x64 size, non DXT compression, BGRA8 format and 7 mip levels
Forum Resident
#8 Old 13th Nov 2023 at 5:42 PM
Thanks for working so hard to help me

The socialplusfx is a visual effect in the Sims3Effects _SWB in FullBuild0.package. This uses multiple _IMG from FullBuild2.package. I'm using Dentons VFX Tool to copy the effect and make my own.

The original Image I try to change is called headline_social_0xe6e72c39896a0b29. By changing the respective IID of the resource for the particle effect I can change it to my image. I know this works, because when I export the original picture, just rename it and put it into my own package I can use my effect with the effect machine. But if I try to edit the picture the game breaks. I'm not changing anything in the installation folder, I put everything in my own package and then in the mod folder.

Edit: some more info about the picture: 64x64 size, non DXT compression, BGRA8 format and 7 mip levels

Well, first thing, try using the default format setting. I have never used the setting you refer to... for anything. Where did you read that you need to change that? That may be your problem. I also have no clue how many mipmaps are generated. I simply click for GIMP to generate, and again, have never had any problems. I also do not import an img with mipmaps, as it bloats what I am doing. I work with more than enough layers, and GIMP generates new mips on export.

Denton does some darn good work, although I have never used that tool, only know of it. I have never needed to messed with swb files. Not sure, but I think you only need those if writing script, or possibly a core mod.

Are you trying to change the effect, or just the img? Because as far as I know, if you simply make a new package with your img using the exact ID, the effect will follow... or I should say, the img will simply replace the old one, and the effect runs as normal for that scenario.

I am also noticing that the original is non-DXT (uncompressed), so you have made another deviation. Not sure why compression would break things, but you may also try yours as non-DXT, and as default format.

For giggles, I am going to make a replacement, throw it into my game and see what happens.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 13th Nov 2023 at 6:51 PM
I got it to work with default settings
I feel so stupid for that, but I tried the same for the shadow (headline_social_ds) and it broke my game again -_-

And yes, I'm creating a core mod and I found that easier than creating this visual effect ^^' All I really want is this effect with a heart instead of the two people, which I can use in my script.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 13th Nov 2023 at 7:26 PM
I got it to work with default settings
I feel so stupid for that, but I tried the same for the shadow (headline_social_ds) and it broke my game again -_-

And yes, I'm creating a core mod and I found that easier than creating this visual effect ^^' All I really want is this effect with a heart instead of the two people, which I can use in my script.

A core mod to change an img? Very unnecessary in my opinion. I adhere tightly to the "KISS" line of thinking! After you told me which img, all I did was export it as file from my desktop copy (which keeps the ID numbers, etc). Tossed it into GIMP, changed the color and exported it. Then, into a package, and into my Packages folder...

I only changed the color, but could do more if I wanted.
Screenshots

Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 13th Nov 2023 at 7:44 PM
The effect is only a part of it. I also change quite a bit at how relationships work.

And I also got everything to work now by using no compression and the rest daefault settings. The original shadow image was dxt5 and when I did the same it crashed. But with no compression it shows correctly.

Thanks and I hope that at one point I can upload my mod :D
Forum Resident
#12 Old 13th Nov 2023 at 8:06 PM
The effect is only a part of it. I also change quite a bit at how relationships work.

And I also got everything to work now by using no compression and the rest daefault settings. The original shadow image was dxt5 and when I did the same it crashed. But with no compression it shows correctly.

Thanks and I hope that at one point I can upload my mod :D

AHHH! You are making a full core mod and the img issue was only a small thing! Gotcha! There are several tutorials on doing this which might help you with other things. I do not get involved with the actual core or script modding. Good luck with your mod!