Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Apr 2011 at 6:37 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 10th Dec 2012 at 9:38 PM.
Default For beta testing: Sim Outfit editor/creator tool
I've been working on a tool to create Sim Outfit (SIMO or .outfit) files for a while now, and finally have something worth putting up for testing. This is still basic and rough, and I'm looking for suggestions as well as bug-finding and functionality testing.

Background: SIMO files define the game's outfits. This includes NPC outfits, career outfits, and the Everyday, Sleep, etc. outfits defined for each sim. An outfit contains CAS parts and optionally other information. Career outfits contain clothing, accessories, and sometimes hair. A complete outfit for a particular sim (Everyday, etc.) also contains their skintone, facial slider settings, hair and eye color, etc. etc.

Function: Can create new SIMO files as well as opening existing ones with the ability to add and remove CAS parts.

Use: Mostly outfits for custom careers, I think. Could also be useful for custom NPC outfits in custom worlds. (I tried overriding the maid's outfit with no success, but probably because the maids are predefined in EA worlds.) - Edit: I've now succeeded in replacing the maid's outfit.

Restrictions: At this time you can only add CAS parts from a CASP file. I'm working on adding them from packages but as of now if you click that function it'll prompt for a file and then do nothing.

What else... the outfit name is used to generate the Instance ID for the outfit file so you should use the same name in the program and in the xml that defines the outfit. Also if there's more than one preset in the CASP you'll have to pick which one, so check them out in advance.

Game outfit names are defined in Program Files\Electronic Arts\Game\Bin\Gameplay\GameplayData.package. The careers are in Careers.xml. The NPCs are in ServiceNPCSpecifications.xml and NPCRoles.xml but I haven't been able to test them successfully.

The attached screenshots show the level 2 business career outfit replaced with briefs and cowboy boots. Female maid's outfit replaced with a bathing suit and high heels has been added.

9/10/12:
I've uploaded a new version with a fix for some CAS Parts, usually shoes, not loading and hanging the program. This was as usual due to a dumb coding error. I'm now going to be working on a different approach to making outfits, having the user set up the outfit in CAS, save the sim to the bin, then use my tool to open the sim package and extract the outfit.

Also a usage note - some problems are being caused by the use of CTU to create a package containing a CASP for an EA clothing or hair. Unfortunately CTU seems to by default change the TGI of the exported CASP, so if you don't install the CASP itself in your game the outfit won't work. This should be resolved by the new method of creating outfits. You can also override the Instance of the imported CASP either during import or by changing the filename, so that the imported Instance is the same as the default EA CASP.

12/10/12:
New version uploaded to support new versions of the SIMO file structure. These updates support pet outfits. Please note that while I've updated Outfitter to read and write these outfits correctly, I have NOT added support for pet CASP types such as manes, tails, etc. or for non-human species identifiers, so it should be used only for human outfits at this point.

Quickie procedure for use:
1. Create a package for every item of clothing or hair you want to use and set up the presets.
If using game clothing:
  • Use S3OC to clone the item you want to use. UNCHECK the renumbering option.
  • Open the resulting package in CTU and set up the presets the way you want. Either note which preset you want to use or delete all but one of them.
If using custom clothing / hair:
  • Open the custom package in CTU and set up the presets the way you want. Either note which preset you want to use or delete all but one of them.

2. Use S3PE to open all the packages and extract the CASP.

3. Run SimOutfitter and import all the CASPs.

4. Still in SimOutfitter, use File / Write Outfit File to save your outfit file.

5. Use S3PE to put the outfit file in a package.

6. Install the package with the outfit file and any custom clothing/hair packages it uses in your game. You can combine packages if you want.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  SimOutfitterV1.2.zip (768.2 KB, 1284 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Updated for new formats of SIMO files
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 17th Apr 2011 at 8:17 PM
Nice! I may play with it a little but custom career makers are surely the ones who will really enjoy it! Good job!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#3 Old 21st Apr 2011 at 11:13 AM
Quote:
The attached screenshots show the level 2 business career outfit replaced with briefs and cowboy boots.

Fantastic! I'm not sure I need to use this just yet but it looks really useful for those that, um, need to wear briefs and cowboy boots to a business meeting.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#4 Old 21st Apr 2011 at 11:40 AM
There ARE certain businesses in which such attire might be appropriate...
Theorist
#5 Old 21st Apr 2011 at 2:57 PM
Can you use CC or does it have to be EA made stuff? Really cool! Finally NPC replacements!

Also is there anyway to pick the patterns/colors it will use or are we just stuck with the existing recolors?

Hi I'm Paul!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Apr 2011 at 4:50 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 22nd Apr 2011 at 1:04 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Robodl95
Can you use CC or does it have to be EA made stuff? Really cool! Finally NPC replacements!

Also is there anyway to pick the patterns/colors it will use or are we just stuck with the existing recolors?

Glad you asked!

You can use CC and/or EA - any valid CASP should work. (I still need to test in-game with CC, though.)

When adding a CASP you can pick which preset you want. If you don't like any of the existing presets, you could use CTU or whatever to make a new CASP with the preset you want, add that to your outfit using the TGI of the original CASP, and then discard the new CASP. That way you can have the patterns/colors you want without changing the original clothing.

Keep in mind when making NPC replacements that the EA worlds use premade NPCs which already have outfits and won't be affected by a modded outfit - or that's my theory on why the maid's outfit didn't change when I tried it.

Edit: I've tested CC and it works. Also I was able to replace Delicia Hoover's maid outfit, and uploaded a pic of her working in a bathing suit and high heels to the OP. I used Master Controller to change her to Everyday clothing, then to set her career to Business (probably any of the standard careers would work) which reset her career outfit, then to have her quit the Business career. She appeared to forget she's a maid and hung out a little while before leaving for the day. The next day when she showed up for work it was in the modded maid's outfit.
Test Subject
#7 Old 14th Jun 2011 at 1:07 PM
Thank you very much.

I'm looking for this kind of tool for so long. How could I miss it all that time.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th Jun 2011 at 4:26 PM
It's been on the back burner for me and the thread got a little buried - but I'm glad to see some interest! Let me know if you have suggestions/requests.
Test Subject
#9 Old 15th Jun 2011 at 10:39 AM
Would it be possible to add the ability to edit the upper left corner and lower right corner properties for CASP tattoo please ? I've tried to edit by hand the outfit file generated by your tool, but without success.

Thanks for all.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#10 Old 15th Jun 2011 at 12:36 PM
I very much doubt it, unfortunately. There's two parts to a tattoo - there's a CASP that defines the location, and a separate CASP that defines the tattoo image and color presets. It's the second one that's included in the outfit with some sort of flag referring to the location CASP.

I haven't yet looked in depth at how tattoos are defined in an outfit, though. There has to be some way the scaling and which location it is are specified. I'll have to take a look.
Theorist
#11 Old 16th Jun 2011 at 11:28 PM
I'm trying to make a mod which would get rid of the uniform for the daycare career. How do you find a specific outfit? All the Simos I've found are unmarked and I have no desire to search through 400 outfits to find the correct one...

Hi I'm Paul!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#12 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 1:59 AM
Unfortunately the only practical way is if you can find the xml that defines that particular career and gives the outfit name, which hashes to the Instance ID. I had a look in the Careers.xml and didn't find Daycare. It's got to be defined somewhere, but I can't find it so far. Or you could try guessing the outfit name, like "daycare_male", etc. but that could be just as bad.
Inventor
#13 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 9:18 AM Last edited by Cocomama : 17th Jun 2011 at 9:46 AM.
Maybe you can find that information
- in CAS make a sim wearing the clothing you want to find
-save the sim to the bin
-open that sim file with S3PE with 'All Files'. its full with simo files.

I've never tryed to find this myself, so you would have to search for more info on this. I think it was on Custom Sims 3.

Edit:
I've exported with S3PE 1 of the SIMO files from one of my saved sims and opened it with your tool.
Now I have no idea what is possible to do with it.
Should I open a SIMO file from another saved sim and change the clothing? How?

Oh and should not forget it:
thanks for this new tool CmarNYC
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#14 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 12:36 PM
That's actually an interesting idea. If a sim can be saved with the outfit you're looking for, maybe it would be possible to have a tool to search for the matching outfit in FullBuild0 or DeltaBuild0 or wherever. I'll look into that when I have time.

All I've done so far with the outfit from a saved sim is to change it or make a new one with the tool and replace it in the sim's package. It worked the one time I tried it, but it's not very useful.
Test Subject
#15 Old 8th Jul 2011 at 5:51 AM
Default help
i am looking to change camilla the butlers uniform but I can not find it can you help!!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#16 Old 10th Jul 2011 at 8:54 PM
The butler outfit files are in Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 Late Night/GameData/Shared/Packages/FullBuild_p06.package: MaleButler and FemaleButler. I've attached the SIMO files; you can just edit or make new ones and replace them.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  ButlerOutfits.zip (9.4 KB, 193 downloads) - View custom content
Instructor
#17 Old 17th Jul 2011 at 8:06 AM
Thanks for this! I can finally use the Ambitions hospital gowns as the Organ Donor's uniform.

I have a question about SIMO files, may be you can answer it. I noticed they have these lines:
Code:
HeavyWeightSlider: 0.0000
StrengthSlider: 0.0000
SlimWeightSlider: 0.0000
MuscleSlider: 0.0000
BreastSlider: 0.0000
I tried to modify them expecting skinny maids, fat bouncers, and beefy firefigthers. But they all spawned with normal features. Do you know why?

BTW it would be a great addition to your tool if you could change presets once the CASP has already been added.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#18 Old 17th Jul 2011 at 1:39 PM
Those values aren't used in things like career outfits, although at least in theory they could be. When I get back to this tool one of the things I want to do is experiment with that - there's a bit mask that I think determines which parts from the outfit get applied to the sim. It could be an interesting feature to have outfits that make sims temporarily fat, blond, whatever.

Presets would be hard to change without a whole preview ability like in CTU, which I don't have time to even think about now. It would be nice, though.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 13th Oct 2011 at 1:49 PM
Is it possible to change and set the clothes that the Bartenders wear? as well as the NPC the work the registers ?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#20 Old 14th Oct 2011 at 12:52 AM
Yes, if you can find the SIMO files for the bartenders' and register NPCs' uniforms, or at least the TGIs. That's the hard part, you have to go poking around in the game packages for career and NPC outfit name definitions and then convert them into instance numbers. Maybe if/when I get back to this project I can try to collect all that info and load it into the program so this is easier.

Remember, you won't see new uniforms until new NPCs are spawned.
Scholar
#21 Old 6th Nov 2011 at 8:12 PM
Anyone else having issues with af shoes? I can add any other CASP file without a problem but not the af shoes.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#22 Old 6th Nov 2011 at 10:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cameranutz2
Anyone else having issues with af shoes? I can add any other CASP file without a problem but not the af shoes.

I'm not aware of this problem - I successfully added the af high heels to the maid's outfit. Are you having the problem with all af shoes or one specific item?
Test Subject
#23 Old 8th Nov 2011 at 3:52 AM
This type of mod is something new to me and I was wondering if someone could post a step by step tutorial on how to operate it?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#24 Old 8th Nov 2011 at 11:17 PM
It's still very much incomplete and in the development stage - when it's finally done I'd be happy to do a tutorial.
Test Subject
#25 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 3:42 PM
So does this change the uniform of a whole career (f.e. business) or just of a certain sim?
Page 1 of 3