Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jul 2019 at 3:49 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default HELP:Is there a way to extract sims or lots from a neighborhood package file?
Recently my game reset itself, when I opened the game the neighborhood I play with has been reset to default and all my sims and custom lots have disappeared.
Their files are still available in my documents however the game doesn't read them for some reason. SO what I want to know is if there is a way I can extract the sims and lots, have them as sims2packs? or any way to restore them using SimPE or something?
Advertisement
Echezzman Nwokeoma
staff: senior moderator
#2 Old 20th Jul 2019 at 12:50 AM
Hello have you seen these tutorials.
https://pixel-trade.livejournal.com/16091.html
This one deal with Sims born in game. Am sure it can also be used for what you want.

http://modthesims.info/t/448103
The above line is for extracting lots from the game. Please read the comments very well and am sure it will help you in achieving what you want
Mad Poster
#3 Old 20th Jul 2019 at 1:15 AM
Chris Hatch made a lot cleaning tool, which you may want to run the lots through if you're using lots from the neighborhood folders and if there's been sims living in them.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...184#post5510184 (post #35)
Forum Resident
#4 Old 20th Jul 2019 at 2:02 AM Last edited by natboopsie : 20th Jul 2019 at 2:35 AM. Reason: clarity
Hi! Thought I'd provide some context to this help request, for anyone who hasn't seen the OP's other post about her hood issues. Just so folks know it's potentially more complex than a standard extraction---and to keep the two posts connected, in case anyone has any special knowledge about this type of unusual situation (or can solve her original problem).

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Mad Poster
#5 Old 20th Jul 2019 at 2:22 AM
^ If the neigborhood doesn't properly work, I thnk the only thing she can do is to extract lots via the Neighborhood folder (cleaning them first) and there's a tutorial on how at the beginning of the topic in the link I posted above (I think?), and extract sims via SimPE (if they're still available), and package the sims in Bodyshop.

For the neighborhood itself, I'm guessing not much can be done other than starting over with the extracted sims and lots.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 20th Jul 2019 at 2:44 AM
Hm, that particular link you gave in post #3 here is just for cleaning lots from .package format, though if the OP can get them to that point, I'd imagine she ought to use it, true.

Though that makes me think...say, misfit, are you even able to open the hood in its played state with SimPE? That is, does it recognize any of your lots and sims in the played form? Maybe one quick way to tell would be whether any of your born-in-game sims are in the Sim Browser window when you open the neighborhood using the program, or if it reports seeing none of them, meaning it also only sees the hood in unplayed form.

Honestly, I'd personally not know what to do with that info regardless of the answer, but I thought it might help all the SimPE-knowledgeable folks who may see this thread!

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Field Researcher
#7 Old 20th Jul 2019 at 3:22 AM
My question, Misfit, is: have you been doing any of the known actions that can mess up your hood? Deleting sims from the bin, moving occupied lots, that sort of thing? You mention you've played the neighborhood for a really long time, so do you do regular maintenance, or make backups of your play sessions? Typically, with long-running hoods, there are some measures that need to be taken in order to ensure proper game health, otherwise certain things can go wrong.

I bring this up because having your sims and lots be unreadable (while possibly a one-off) could be indicative of a much larger issue, which would necessitate a reset. Extracting born-in-game sims is possible, I've never extracted lots (since those come with all sorts of things--graph paper for drawing floor plans is how I go about it), and starting over from scratch with a good suite of mods might be what you have to do.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 20th Jul 2019 at 5:44 AM
You can clean and open the lot package files outside of the game, using the lot cleaner and SimPE (drag-and-drop). You would have to put them in a new neighborhood to be able to package them as a sims2package file, but I don't think you need to use the same neighborhood.

Sims would need to show up in SimPE to be extractable. There are sim files in the neighborhood folder, but I'm not sure if Bodyshop can read these if put in DL or SS.