Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Space Pony
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jun 2019 at 5:50 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default The SIMs 3 GPU Addon Support Executable
Hey folks I just upgraded my aging GTX 750 Ti GPU for a GTX 1660 Ti and I ran into the problem regarding my GPU being unrecognized by the game. Now before posting this new thread I did try searching for an older thread, if there was one but apparently there weren't any.

I did come across this guide...

https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/...p?topic=26753.0

...but I feel it's quite cumbersome, but I'll manage if need be.

Anyhoo, in my search for a solution I found this tool on Nexus mods, usually a good place for XCOM and Civilization mods but this time I found something for TS3...

https://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/106

Now my question is, "Have any of you tried this tool out and is it reliable?"

I wouldn't have any doubts if I found out about this tool on here, the official EA forums, carls-sims, SIMsVIP, MySimRealty or even on MATY but I just found out about this from the associated video on Youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj2wrA1WQiw
Advertisement
Space Pony
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Jun 2019 at 8:55 AM
@nitromon: that's just the same set of instructions I found posted on carl's SIms LOL

Why the heck TS3 is riddled with these setbacks really boggles the mind. Remember that other issue with the game where it always resets your graphics settings to default whenever you update your GPU's drivers? Getting through that also requires you jumping through hoops LOL
Test Subject
#5 Old 1st Jun 2019 at 9:16 AM
I saw that tool while browsing Sims 3 section on NexusMods, and after trying it out all I can say it works. Comparing old and new GraphicsRules.sgr and GraphicsCard.sgr I saw that there is a big difference and the best of all is that mod gets updated every time new graphic card comes out.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Jun 2019 at 11:18 PM
I wish that tool's author would consider uploading it on other TS3 Fan sites, like here or even on MATY so many users can easily find and recommend it to others.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 1st Jun 2019 at 11:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CRV13
@nitromon: that's just the same set of instructions I found posted on carl's SIms LOL

Why the heck TS3 is riddled with these setbacks really boggles the mind. Remember that other issue with the game where it always resets your graphics settings to default whenever you update your GPU's drivers? Getting through that also requires you jumping through hoops LOL

You're using a 2019 card for a 2009 game last updated in 2014. Is it really that mind boggling?

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Space Pony
Original Poster
#8 Old 2nd Jun 2019 at 12:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
You're using a 2019 card for a 2009 game last updated in 2014. Is it really that mind boggling?

Untrue, IF you consider patch 1.69 that updated the Origin version back in November 12, 2015.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 2nd Jun 2019 at 12:35 AM
No, he was correct. Patch 1.69 did not change the game files at all, other than their internal build numbers. It just slapped the 1.69 Launcher and the required Origin/Launcher tie-in onto the game and rearranged the program files' positioning and DRM. There haven't been any substantive updates to the game since Jan 2014, we have to go back into 2013 to see the most recent changes to the sgr file system that performs recognition of graphics cards.