Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Nov 2013 at 3:52 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, Nightlife
Default My Sims 2 .package files are being turned into Sims 3 .package files!
Everything in my game works just fine and I've discussed, in another topic, that I was having graphic errors. Well, we all thought it was my computer (and it still might be partially), but for some unholy reason every Sims 2 .package file I download magically (not magically, I know) becomes listed as a Sims 3 package. So...I'm imagining this is confusing the holy heck out of my game. I've tried uninstalling anything Sims 3 CC related from my computer and even searching for "Sims 3" in my computer to try and weed out anything hiding. I can't see anything more in here that would be doing this, but it's still happening. Does anyone have any idea what's causing this or how to stop/change it?
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 29th Nov 2013 at 4:13 AM
No, they aren't turned into Sims 3 packages.

The operating system has no idea about the difference between Sims 2 packages and Sims 3 packages. All that it knows is that a file has the ".package" file extension. You must have installed something which knows how to open Sims 3 packages, so the operating system assumes that's the right program for all .package files. But, it doesn't matter at all, since the game will still know what to do with Sims 2 packages.

If you want, you can change the default program which opens package files. But then, all of your Sims 3 packages will show up as Sims 2 packages.

On Windows XP, I right click on a package file and select Properties. Then, choose Change and select the default program that you want to use to open the files.
Inventor
#3 Old 29th Nov 2013 at 6:03 AM
Also , if you think that you might have cc folders that have both Sims 2 and Sims 3 cc in them , you can use this http://modthesims.info/d/387006 to determine what cc belongs to what game. The tool is designed ( in part) to keep Sims 2 cc files out of a Sims 3 game , but there is no reason you couldn't use it to perform the opposite function as well.

Shotgunning bland cucumbers since 1974
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Nov 2013 at 7:25 AM
Thanks! I just noticed that whenever I put one of these files in the game the game goes bananas when it otherwise works normally. The cc doesn't show up right and whatnot. So I guess my computer really is messed up. Thanks for the input tho guys! Guess I just can't have CC in 2 anymore.