Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
#51 Old 11th Aug 2005 at 5:10 PM
Thanks for all the shoves! Sorry for the noob errors!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 11th Aug 2005 at 5:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JWoods
This is absolutely true but be sure you only click the "Update MMAT and Commit" link for the master GUID only if it is a multi GUID object.

I think i just spotted one of my problems then, lol. I thought you had to always do that for the main GUID object, lol. It gives you a wonderfull invisible object if you try this with an object that only has single GUID.....le sigh.
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#53 Old 11th Aug 2005 at 5:46 PM
You do always have to do that for the main GUID of the object, it is adding the GUID to the Material Override which in turn enables colors. If it is a single guid (tile) object then you can freely click that link allways. I mentioned about the only clicking the link in the multi guids master because many make the error of clicking the link for every guid instead of only the master.

Invisible objects 99% of the time as in the washer and dryer are due to not properly naming your shape(s) in the GMDC to that of the original cloned object...
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 11th Aug 2005 at 5:48 PM
First let me say this:
If it were possible to pass out virtual cake I would bake you all a cake! :D

Ok here is what I did. I went through the tutorial step by step becuase I was SURE I had all the right buttons clicked.
The one mistake I made was in the update MMAT on the get guid.
Having clicked that I am now seeing my texture on my chair alone, naturaly.
I was getting confused about the object data but then I realized there is only one in this case.

I knew it was something very simple that I missed since everything els is so easy to follow. Now I need to get the chair bottom textures to look right in my UV Map and I SHOULD be on my way.

Thank You for your undying patience.
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 11th Aug 2005 at 5:49 PM
yeah, i've probably tried to make that object 99 times too....and did that each time, lol
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#56 Old 11th Aug 2005 at 6:04 PM
Remember this:

Click "Update MMAT's and commit" on any single GUID (tile) object.

Only click "Update MMAT's and commit" on the "Main" GUID for a multi GUID (tile) object. For all other GUIDs in the package only click "Commit".

Did someone say "cake"? :blow:

Reading is the key to all knowledge, math is the key to everything.
Forum Resident
#57 Old 12th Aug 2005 at 12:18 AM
I have been trying to make the old sims 1 cascading round windows.

They are stil a bit high as you can see if the pix loaded ok. But the problem is the glass.

I made these based on another custom window. There are two mesh files, one frame and one glass (I guess all window files have two meshes?) and I modified both exactly the same.

I followed your table tutorial as best as I could--applying it to a two mesh item.

I am using SimPE .44, which is a bit different than in the tut. So here are the steps I took:

I chose to 'replace' with the new meshes instead of delete and then add. When the window came up to update I said yes.

I UV mapped the one view available to a round object.

The picture of ithe windows look ok to me. Except for the glass part as you can see in the pix, which shows the original glass.

The rest of the steps I did exactly as in the tutorial. I thought....

Help? Any idea of what I did wrong?

My best guess is I probably need to update the image file for the glas transparency--only I don't know how to get the shapes and positions right or even if it is necessary to worry about the shape and positions, perhaps making the transparency image all transparency will work?
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#58 Old 12th Aug 2005 at 12:28 AM
To make doors, windows and arch's you must check the box "Pull Wallmasks (as described by Numenor)".
http://dev4.modthesims2.com/attachm...id=110777&stc=1
Once you have that done you will see the need to edit your walmask textures.
Screenshots

Forum Resident
#59 Old 12th Aug 2005 at 12:33 AM
Yes, I actually did pull them (default position is checked on .44)

So, I gues smy guess was right and I need to edit that one image--but I have no idea how to make it the right shape/position.

Is there a way to do this besides trial and error?
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#60 Old 12th Aug 2005 at 12:43 AM
To my knowledge yes a good bout of trial and error is the best bet. If your paint program has a circle tool thats have the battle, then go about it in a sequential manner (ie: top to bottom)...
Forum Resident
#61 Old 12th Aug 2005 at 12:48 AM
I gues that's the best way. :P

Thank you for your help and your great tutorial! It really helps!
Field Researcher
#62 Old 12th Aug 2005 at 2:26 AM
MUCH THANKS JWoods !!
Test Subject
#63 Old 12th Aug 2005 at 9:00 AM
SimPE
Hey,

I have created a few objects on SimPE but I cant find them in my game! Please help!

Tomthedude

Signature----------

Tommy Gunn: Hey, you don't know me! Nobody does! I want my respect.
Rocky Balboa: Well come and get it!
Rocky V
allthesims2.tripod.com
Instructor
#64 Old 12th Aug 2005 at 11:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mutantbunny
Yes, I actually did pull them (default position is checked on .44)

So, I gues smy guess was right and I need to edit that one image--but I have no idea how to make it the right shape/position.

Is there a way to do this besides trial and error?

Yes you have to edit that file to get the right shape of cut out. The portion that is transparent will equate to what is cut out.

My suggestion to get started is if your 3d program or uvmapper program can do a front view, then capture a screen shot, and use your paint program convert the appropriate parts to white and transparent.

You would then need to resize it based on the original texture.

Some times it's easier to do it this way then trying to create the shapes from scratch.

It also works well for wall and floor shadows.

Eclectic Sims The place for your younger sims and unique animated items!
Charmed Sims Archives Gorgeous Clothing, Furnishings and more.
Two great sites ALL FREE NOW!!!
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#65 Old 12th Aug 2005 at 4:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tomthedude
Hey,

I have created a few objects on SimPE but I cant find them in my game! Please help!

Tomthedude

Signature----------

Tommy Gunn: Hey, you don't know me! Nobody does! I want my respect.
Rocky Balboa: Well come and get it!
Rocky V
allthesims2.tripod.com

Tom, all I can tell you at this point is make sure you registered new GUIDs for your objects and that you have put them in your download folder. If you have done these two things then please upload one of the troubled packages and I will get a look at it for you.

Forum Resident
#66 Old 12th Aug 2005 at 7:22 PM
G'day JWoods.

One more problem I can't find any info on other than stuff on SimPE so out of date it doesn't help.

Background: I actually got my Sims 1 window working right! Thanks to everyone here that has helped so much, except for the recolor part.
I cloned this window from a custom window that had recoloring enabled. There were three Object data files which I, following your tut, updated as instructed.

I can make a recolor but the game is not recognizing it.

I found your comments on this exact problem with the cow file over in the older thread. But, because I don't know much, I can't follow your comments over there. The age of the other threads on this and applying to SimPE .44 are not clear enough for me to follow.

Help? I have attached the file incase you need that to see what is wrong.

EDIT: over on Quaxi's site there is a thread that seems to point to this non-recolorable thing being a problem with the new SimPE. ?
Instructor
#67 Old 13th Aug 2005 at 3:51 AM
1) Ok right off, you need to have your GMDC filenames more unique then what you have.
2) Your material override has the wrong guid in it. You need to make sure you have the master object's guid in it.
Forum Resident
#68 Old 13th Aug 2005 at 4:05 AM
You switched forums.

Ok.....I need the GMDC file name to be more unique in the....object file?

Where do I find the master Guid...? In the original object that I cloned....where?

I'm sorry, I just don't know much about this. And I don't understand how these things could be wrong when I followed JWoods tutorial. Recolor me confused....
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#69 Old 13th Aug 2005 at 5:53 AM
In your package there are three OBJD files:
1. Window - Plate Glass - Regular - 0,1
2. Window - Plate Glass - Regular - 0,0
3. Window - Plate Glass - Regular

There is one file distinctively different from the others, file #3. You see how there is no tile values (0,0 & 0,1)?
A lot of the times we can distinguish the master GUID as the one without tile values. Sometimes it is not that easy and we need to look for other clues. Looking at the "price" or other "Raw Data" values in each file can also reveal the master GUID. The file with a price and other distinguishable values are normally only contained in the master OBJD file. There are occasions when none of the above seem applicable.

When we click "Update all MMAT's and commit" it MUST be for the master OBJD file because it enters this GUID into the MMAT's "objectGUID (dtUInteger)" field. If this GUID is wrong your package will not be enabled.

Though "SnowStorm's" suggestion is correct and it is a good idea to make the GMDC file names more unique it is not the cause for lack of color enabling. It can cause conflicts with other objects using these same names if there are any. With such a common name such as "glass" or "frame" your chances are much higher.

When you first clone your object and you are renaming in the scenegraph this is where you should take advantage of the proper naming. What alarms me more then your short name is the name differences between the two GMDC's. The names you entered in the scenegraph are very much different. If you are using the Mesh Tool to import your mesh's oppossed to the .obj importer built into SimPE then I recommend before "replacing" writing down or "copying" the given GMDC Filename. Then after you "replace" the mesh type or paste the original given name into the "Filename" field.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#70 Old 13th Aug 2005 at 7:59 AM
A lot of the times we can distinguish the master GUID as the one without tile values. Sometimes it is not that easy and we need to look for other clues. Looking at the "price" or other "Raw Data" values in each file can also reveal the master GUID. The file with a price and other distinguishable values are normally only contained in the master OBJD file. There are occasions when none of the above seem applicable.

Another way is to look in the OBJD at field 0x000B which is Multi-tile sub index. This is the value that tells the game where to place the tile in relation to the others. I can't remember which way round it goes - rows first then columns or the other way round. But basically valid values are from 0-256. The master "tile", or rather not a tile, should have the value -1 because it is not placed on the lot geographically.

This field should not be confused with "multi-tile lead object" which I am not sure of the purpose of - but is very handy to specify as the tile to hold all the user attributes Not all multi-tile objects have a lead object specified so I assume it's not essential for anything.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Forum Resident
#71 Old 13th Aug 2005 at 4:06 PM
In your package there are three OBJD files:
1. Window - Plate Glass - Regular - 0,1
2. Window - Plate Glass - Regular - 0,0
3. Window - Plate Glass - Regular

There is one file distinctively different from the others, file #3. You see how there is no tile values (0,0 & 0,1)?

When we click "Update all MMAT's and commit" it MUST be for the master OBJD file because it enters this GUID into the MMAT's "objectGUID (dtUInteger)" field. If this GUID is wrong your package will not be enabled.

Though "SnowStorm's" suggestion is correct and it is a good idea to make the GMDC file names more unique it is not the cause for lack of color enabling. It can cause conflicts with other objects using these same names if there are any. With such a common name such as "glass" or "frame" your chances are much higher.

When you first clone your object and you are renaming in the scenegraph this is where you should take advantage of the proper naming. What alarms me more then your short name is the name differences between the two GMDC's. The names you entered in the scenegraph are very much different. If you are using the Mesh Tool to import your mesh's oppossed to the .obj importer built into SimPE then I recommend before "replacing" writing down or "copying" the given GMDC Filename. Then after you "replace" the mesh type or paste the original given name into the "Filename" field.

Ok. I now understand where I didn't 'go unique' with the 'file name' (mesh names.)

But is the name keeping the recolors from showing?

OR is it that I assigned the wrong object data file as master? Following your tut it said the middle one was usually the master--I guess in the object I cloned it was not? So I need to go back and look for the original master? Is this keeping the recolors from showing?
Instructor
#72 Old 13th Aug 2005 at 4:34 PM
The wrong guid in the material override would cause the recolours from not showing.

Not having a unique filename in the geometric data container, could cause the wrong mesh to show, if another object had the same file name. Or cause the object to display wrong.

I've seen the original master be anywhere in the list, usually you will have some with suffixes like (0, 0) etc, the one without the suffice is normally the master. But as Inge said look for the object data file that has a -1 in the 0x000B field on the raw data tab.
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#73 Old 13th Aug 2005 at 4:34 PM
Mutantbunny: Did you read the quote you posted by me? The answers are there see:

Quote:
Though "SnowStorm's" suggestion is correct and it is a good idea to make the GMDC file names more unique it is not the cause for lack of color enabling.

Quote:

Lab Assistant
#74 Old 13th Aug 2005 at 4:37 PM
here's my helicopter, it appears blank in my game, and can anyone add a helicopter texture to it please?

thanks guys
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#75 Old 13th Aug 2005 at 5:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by _OMERTA_
here's my helicopter, it appears blank in my game, and can anyone add a helicopter texture to it please?

thanks guys

1. Your mesh is a high poly mesh.
2. You have a combined total of 12 shapes in the 2 GMDC's.
3. This thread is here to help folks that have some knowledge of object creation and are still having problems after a continuous problem.
4. This thread is not here to request anyone to do your work for you.

You can learn how to create objects here: http://modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=59293
You can learn how to UV map here: http://modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=79954

Locked thread | Locked by: Reason: Please refer to the ACTIVE THREAD (http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=82084). This is only an archive of old posts.
Page 3 of 52