Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jun 2019 at 5:37 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Default replacements don’t work!
Hello everyone. Maybe someone here will be able to help me. I like to replace clothes and hair in my game and I have a problem. The hair usually work, but clothes almost never work properly. There is a blank space between sims’ head and feet. What can I do? Yes I’m sure that I have only one replacement. I do everything correctly because other cc actually work without any issues. Please help me if you know what to do.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 27th Jun 2019 at 5:53 PM
- Make sure to check if the outfit needs a mesh
- Make sure you've not put the files too deep in your Downloads folder
- Make sure CC is properly enabled
- Delete the cache files (all 2-4 files) before going ingame
- If the outfits/hairs look alright but the thumbs look weird, try deleting the CASThumbnails file in the Thumbnails folder.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Jun 2019 at 6:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
- If the outfits/hairs look alright but the thumbs look weird, try
deleting the CASThumbnails file in the Thumbnails folder.

What do you mean by not going to deep into the folder? I have a lot of smaller folders in downloads because I want to keep it clean.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 27th Jun 2019 at 6:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by EwinkaSiminka
What do you mean by not going to deep into the folder? I have a lot of smaller folders in downloads because I want to keep it clean.

When you have folders inside of folders it is a good idea not going more than 2 deep, when you have a bunch of 3 deep folders in your game the game may not see them all and 4 folders deep is a no no.

Downloads.
My downloads, my clothes (this deep is a okay to have)

(My downloads), (my clothes) then (type of clothes) then (male), (female) now this will get you into a lot of trouble.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#5 Old 27th Jun 2019 at 7:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by EwinkaSiminka
... clothes almost never work properly. There is a blank space between sims’ head and feet.

I had this problem with default replacements for NPC clothes. I was using a mod to make career clothes and NPC uniforms available in CAS (mail carrier, bartender, etc.) and I discovered that this mod was interfering with the uniforms. I put the mod and the NPC defaults in the same subfolder and renamed the mod to make sure it loads before the defaults. I added aaaaa to the beginning of its filename. This fixed the problem in my game.

Here is a picture of the problem I had in my game.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...540#post5405540
Undead Molten Llama
#6 Old 27th Jun 2019 at 10:07 PM
I agree about the folders thing. I have found that clothing defaults are fussy about being in folders. I have some clothing defaults that can't be in a subfolder at all and must be loose in the Downloads folder or else all or part of the outfit is invisible. And pretty much all of them won't tolerate any deeper than two folders. My clothing defaults that can tolerate being in a folder at all "live" in Downloads/Defaults/Clothing, with no further subfoldering. Other defaults don't seem to be fussy about this, but for some reason clothing ones are. I have no idea why.

If I were you, I'd put them all loose in the Downloads folder to check them all. If you've still got "invisibles" that way, then there is perhaps a problem with the default itself or perhaps with your game. If you don't have invisibles when the files are loose, then you can experiment to see which can be in a subfolder and which can't.

EDIT, because I remembered this, too: If you have any clothing hiders in your game, you will likely need to remove them. They don't get along too well with defaults, even if the hider isn't for any of the clothes you've defaulted.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 27th Jun 2019 at 10:44 PM
Defaults and repositoried clothes are very fussy about placement (repo'd clothes tend to do the "nude recolor" thing, and defaults may just decide to not show), so make sure you keep the subfoldering to a minimum (max 2-3 folders deep, short folder names, and stay away from special characters). Also make sure filenames aren't too long.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 28th Jun 2019 at 3:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
When you have folders inside of folders it is a good idea not going more than 2 deep, when you have a bunch of 3 deep folders in your game the game may not see them all and 4 folders deep is a no no.

Downloads.
My downloads, my clothes (this deep is a okay to have)

(My downloads), (my clothes) then (type of clothes) then (male), (female) now this will get you into a lot of trouble.

Is this just for defaults? Cause I have a lot of clothes several subfolders deep.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 28th Jun 2019 at 3:55 AM
It is recommended to use max 3 subfolder layers for any downloads, because it helps with lading and because the game may struggle to read files with paths that go over a certain character limit. There is a chance items placed too deep won't even show in your game, and you may not even notice.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 28th Jun 2019 at 4:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Is this just for defaults? Cause I have a lot of clothes several subfolders deep.

Its for everything, I only have mind now in just 1 folder deep.

Downloads/mods
Downloads/fixes
And so on.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#11 Old 28th Jun 2019 at 10:50 AM
I try not to have too many items in one folder, because I thought that if the number of files in one folder went over about 500 then the game had trouble reading them. I'd have something like Downloads - Child - Female - Everyday.
Forum Resident
#12 Old 28th Jun 2019 at 1:44 PM
I must disagree with Marka93. I have clothing files multiple levels deep and have zero problems with them.
For example: Downloads - Warlokk - 34DD - 34DDE34 - unmorphed
Those show clothing files nested in folders four levels underneath the Downloads folder. The clothing all shows in the game. Now my folder names are generally short because as simmer22 pointed out there is a limit on the path length after which the file cannot be read, but the subfolder level depth is not the issue. Having fewer nested subfolders is simply a good idea to make it less likely to overrun the path length limitation.

I can't speak to default clothing overrides being a special case as I don't use those.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Mad Poster
#13 Old 28th Jun 2019 at 2:38 PM
A path like this shouldn't neccessarily be problematic: "Downloads - Warlokk - 34DD - 34DDE34 - unmorphed" because the folder names are short. May affect loading somewhat, but it's difficult to say.

I think the depth has more to do with loading speed, and to avoid very long folder names or long path names (you know, something like: Downloads-CreateASimItems-Clothes-AdultFemale-JeansWithVariousShoes-FullCreatorNameOfCourse-longnameOfSetOrColorPaletteHere-filewithverylongfilenamemaybeevenlongerthanthisonehere.package)

I once had a set of repo'd clothing with very long file names and at least 3 layers of folders. I'd put the folder as-was in one or two subfolders. The outfits all showed with the correct mesh but with naked textures. Eliminating the unneccessary subfoldering and putting them in a single folder made them show up fine. On my first laptop I had some infant outfits that would get squiggly lines at the end of a cut-off filename. Couldn't figure out why, until I realized they were subfoldered so deep they went over the file path length.
Scholar
#14 Old 28th Jun 2019 at 4:55 PM
?? Wouldn't you have a folder for testing new stuff? Where things exist until you know it works and you like it, Why would that be buried deep down? Surely files too deep can't be the OP's problem.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 28th Jun 2019 at 7:47 PM
Not everyone is responsible like that, Chris!

Mine are subfoldered by creator name, and if I have different categories of stuff from the same creator then use the creator's initials followed by the category. So if I download a new mod by that Chris Hatch guy, I drop it in the "ChrisHatch" folder. This works because I've been playing for years and more-or-less have my mods and cc worked out, so it's pretty obvious which thing is new. If my game doesn't start or run correctly, I know where I need to start troubleshooting from.

Even in a testing folder, though, you can get ridiculously long file names and deep subfoldering. It occurred to me the other day to look at a particular folder in my downloads. Using my usual format, I'd dubbed it CNhairs. (Creator Name hairs) This creator favors putting all the credits in the name of her folders, so I thought I had CNhairs/ridiculouslylongnamewithallthecredits/mesh, and I thought maybe I should oughta do something about that name. But actually, it was CNhairs/ridiculouslylongnamewithallthecredits/ridiculouslylongnamewithallthecredits/mesh. Now, that's how the hairs unzipped into my CNhairs folder. So they were packaged two folders deep already. I'm sure there were reasons why they were done that way--I have a few hundred hairs by this creator, and they're all that way--but I'm fixing them now. I've made it to the 'Bs'.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Undead Molten Llama
#16 Old 29th Jun 2019 at 12:34 AM
The overall issue with the folders thing is not so much the number of folders but the number of characters in the overall file path, going all the way back to C: (If that's where your game is installed). You have a 256 character limit. Anything more than that and the game won't read the file and will simply move on to the next file. So, the more subfolders you put in, the longer your files paths get and the closer you get to hitting that 256 character limit. Also, the longer your file paths, the longer it takes the game to read the file as it loads. If you have relatively few files, you probably won't notice any difference if you un-folder. However, if you have tens of thousands of files, as many CC hoarders do, you very well might notice a difference if you get rid of multiple levels of subfolders. I noticed a difference -- by about three minutes of load time -- when I limited myself to (mostly) two subfolders deep where before some files were five or six folders deep. I have ~40K CC files.

That said, a too-long file path isn't going to cause a default to be invisible. It simply wouldn't show in the game at all. For whatever reason, some clothing defaults, in particular, seem to be folder-sensitive and others aren't. I've never figured out a rhyme or reason behind it. But yes, defaults can have ridiculously long file names if the creator of them attempts to credit everyone (Mesh creator, mesh converter, recolorer, and defaulter) in the file name. I can understand why they do that, sure, to appease possibly bloated egos and whatnot, but it can cause issues if a downloader also buries such files within multiple levels of folders.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 13th Jul 2019 at 11:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
- If the outfits/hairs look alright but the thumbs look weird, try deleting the CASThumbnails file in the Thumbnails folder.

Thank you so much, not going too deep into the folder works!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#18 Old 14th Jul 2019 at 1:17 AM
I have a folder for testing new stuff and I move it (Okay so sometimes I am slow with the moving part) to the real folder once I am sure it's working okay. With defaults I have a default folder then the folder with the Type then the folder with the item, so 3 deep. If need be I move it to be 2 deep. I haven't had issues with that.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~