Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Apr 2014 at 3:05 PM Last edited by gummilutt : 15th Apr 2014 at 1:29 AM.
Default Hobby wants - which exist and which ones annoy you?
As some of you may or may not know, I've long been trying to find a way to remove hobby wants, because I think they take over too much. I've been trying to fix the problem myself, but have run into a bit of a block.

So in an attempt to do it differently, I'm going to make a list of all the hobby-related wants I can think of, and try to fix them individually. But I'm not going to be able to think of all of them myself, and while I'm at it I'd also like to know which ones annoy others and which ones would they like to keep.

If you'd like to help me out, let me know if you can think of any hobby wants missing from the list, and which ones annoy you!

Current list:
- Reach max enthusiasm
- Blog about hobby
- Talk about hobby
- Browse the web for hobby
- Go for a hike
- Catch butterflies/fireflies
- Go for a jog
- Play instrument
- Watch a movie
- Write a novel
- Read a novel
- Throw ball
- Work on car
- Dance (types of dance)
- Buy hobby craft item
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th Apr 2014 at 3:20 PM
I'll come back when I'll think of others, to add to your list.

I love the...
- Go for a hike
- Go for a jog
- Play instrument

I love instruments in real life, and it is very easy to fulfill for a sim, so easy to keep them in a good mood.
I love active sims, and I think hike is awesome to build relationship with other sims too, as you can ask others to come along. They sometimes come back with stuff they would find on their way. This is cool.

The ones that annoys me are the cuisine related ones...none comes to mind right now though..

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Scholar
#3 Old 13th Apr 2014 at 3:53 PM
For me it's quite simple.
I do like those wants which refer to an specific hobby (go for a hike/jog, play an instrument, collect beetles, etc.) because it makes sense to me that you would like to practice the hobby you love.
But I don't like the generic interactions such as talking about it, browsing or blogging, which appear rather often.

Since I've heard that wants which are fulfilled increase the chance of getting similar wants in the future for that Sim, I make sure that they don't talk about hobbies nor browse the web nor have a blog.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 15th Apr 2014 at 12:55 AM
Buy hobby/craft item.
Read a novel.
Dance (type of dance)

I don't mind most of them. I do mind those a sim can't possibly fulfill. Can't read a novel if there isn't one on the lot. Can't dance if there isn't a stereo. Can't play an instrument that isn't owned. Can't blog/browse web for hobby if no computer. Can't watch a movie/tv if there isn't one.

As you can see, my broke sims frequently roll wants they can't fulfill. I think that's beyond the scope of your project, but I do see these all the time. Especially the read a novel one, usually at the point where the sim's only half-done writing the novel!

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Undead Molten Llama
#5 Old 15th Apr 2014 at 2:01 AM
For the record, the hobby wants don't especially annoy me. My pixels often want to talk about hobbies, and to me it's an easy mood-raiser, especially for children in the morning before they go to school, when I don't always have time to feed them or have them take a bath. (Child-age pixels in my game don't shower unless they choose to do it autonomously. They take baths or bubble baths, and taking a bath takes longer.) But they can clog up the want panel and refuse to budge, so I can see how they can be annoying. They just don't particularly annoy me.

But I do want to help with your list! I'm not sure if you're looking for wants that were introduced with Freetime or if you're looking for any wants that were backward-engineers to make them affect hobby enthusiasm. So, I'll list both.

Birdwatch
Hunt Bugs
Go fishing/Catch a specific kind of fish
Plant a seed/Harvest good produce. (Is there a "Harvest Bad Produce" fear? I've never noticed...)
Create a crafted object. (Like, if they own a sewing machine, they'll roll wants to "Sew a Project.")
Get "X" Badge, which they'll roll if they have any of the crafting stations, all of which increase hobby enthusiasm, too.
I believe there are separate wants for "Play Catch" and "Toss Football," both of which increase Sports enthusiam
Jump Rope (If you have AL. It increases fitness enthusiasm.)
I believe that studying skills raises hobby enthusiasm (i.e., studying Cleaning increases Nature enthusiasm, I believe, which doesn't make sense to me because nature is dirty, but whatever. Also, studying Cooking increases Cuisine enthusiasm, obviously, and studying Mechanical increases Tinkering enthusiasm.) So, conceivably, wanting to earn skill points in those categories could be construed as "hobby wants." Maybe.
Singing karaoke increases Music & Dance, so if you're going to include wanting to play an instrument as a hobby want, you should probably include that, too. The DJ booths probably do the same thing, though I don't use those much so I haven't noticed.
Go swimming (including in the ocean, if you have BV)/ice skating/roller skating. All increase fitness enthusiasm, as I recall.
Win a cooking contest (And the fear to lose one, if you're working on fears, too.)

....And that's all I can think of off the top on my head. I might think of more later.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 15th Apr 2014 at 2:38 AM
I don't really mind any of them if they appear in an appropriate context (i.e., a Sim who works as an Ecological Guru and spends all their time tending a beautiful garden rolling a Want to plant seeds) but what irritates me is when they appear for a Sim who shouldn't have any real interest in the hobby, as far as I'm concerned (just because someone went fishing once doesn't mean they need to do it EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! And Sims who painted one picture long ago to get a single skill point for their job aren't suddenly supposed to be the next Picasso!)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 15th Apr 2014 at 3:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
..I believe that studying skills raises hobby enthusiasm (i.e., studying Cleaning increases Nature enthusiasm, I believe, which doesn't make sense to me because nature is dirty, but whatever.

Ahahah! That made me smile..
But...raking leaves, raises nature enthusiasm too, and it's considered "cleaning up" your lot..

Undead Molten Llama
#8 Old 15th Apr 2014 at 12:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
Ahahah! That made me smile..
But...raking leaves, raises nature enthusiasm too, and it's considered "cleaning up" your lot..

I know. And, to me, lawn/landscape maintenance is unnatural because lawns and manicured landscaping in general are unnatural, especially if you spew chemical fertilizers and herbicides/pesticides all over it to keep it looking especially and unnaturally perfect...but don't get me started on my hippie agenda. But just in general, game-wise, I believe it's sloppy Sims who get Nature as their "one true hobby." Which actually makes sense to me because if you're enjoying nature in what I consider to be the "right" way, whether it's digging in the dirt to plant produce-yielding plants or searching for bugs (although to me to be truly natural, you don't kill said bugs and pin them in a collection box; you take photos) or fishing or doing a long-distance hike, you're going to get dirty as hell. And, IMO, to truly enjoy it you have to not care in the slightest that you stink to high heaven. Sloppy Sims/people are less likely to care about personal hygiene and are more likely to enjoy getting dirty...or at least not mind stinking. So it's always struck me as odd that studying Cleaning increases Nature enthusiasm. It seems counterintuitive to me...but maybe that's just me.

Anyway, I thought of a few more for the list:

Play chess
Play computer game/video game
Win/Lose gaming competition
The want to "Play with a relative" could be a "hobby want," in a (far-reaching) way. For instance, if you fill that want by having a Sim play catch with their sibling, then Sports enthusiasm ensues. I actually never noticed if stuff like playing "Red Hands" is considered a game that increases Gaming enthusiasm. Chess does, but I don't think playing chess fills that particular want.
Win/Lose a dance contest

That's all I've got for the moment.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 15th Apr 2014 at 1:09 PM
Oh, I never said I agree..lol.
I am the one never wanting to cut the grass, as I think grass must BE.

Lab Assistant
#10 Old 15th Apr 2014 at 3:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
I believe there are separate wants for "Play Catch" and "Toss Football," both of which increase Sports enthusiam

You are correct.

- Play Kicky Bag
- Play Soccer
- Repair <object> can be seen as a hobby want
Link Ninja
#11 Old 15th Apr 2014 at 4:02 PM
I like the hobby wants - they are relatively easy to fulfill and just keep a up aspiration in a good day-to-day goal. However it does suck when they lose the amount of hobby points needed to do a certain activity that they roll. One of my sims wanted to go jogging but had lost a fitness point of enthusiasm so I had to have him swim or jump-rope until he had enough to go jogging again.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#12 Old 15th Apr 2014 at 5:16 PM
Yeah..or have the message that your sim can now serve chip platters!..but getting it 4 times..as your sim will lose enthusiam along the way, then gaining some..then losing it..then gaining more...ugh.

Mad Poster
#13 Old 15th Apr 2014 at 5:56 PM
Some wants do double-duty. The want to play marco polo appears for sims with fitness enthusiasm, and for those with gaming enthusiasm; a gaming enthusiast who fills it is likely to roll wants for exercise equipment shortly afterward, and a fitness enthusiast who fills it is likely to roll wants to buy games. Almost anything can be a hobby want as well as another kind of want - Talk about Hobby is a social want. So you'll want to be very precise about which hobby wants you wish to suppress, and which you will allow because they serve other purposes.

I must be a lot better at ignoring pop-ups than most people.

None of them annoy me, possibly partly because my playstyle tends to cause sims to scramble their wants quite a bit. If a sim is rolling lots of hobby wants in preference to aspiration or personal wants, it just means the hobby is taking over her life. I'm sure we all know people like that! It's a development well within normal sim variation, and if you want to cure it, all you have to do is ignore the wants and make some life changes (which is also how you change habits and priorities in real life).

Which is no good at all for gummilutt's project; hence the spoiler tags.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)