Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Mar 2008 at 3:51 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, Nightlife, Open for Business, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time
Default Custom Content in Castaway
Does the custom content* for the Sims 2 work on The Sims 2 Castaway Stories for the PC? And if so what do I have to do to make it work?

P.S. This is for windows Vista.

*(Not just the stuff on this site)
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th Mar 2008 at 8:18 AM
Sort of. The Stories series games are not really meant for custom content - they're meant to run light on laptops, so it's really best not to load them full of custom content.

However, you -can- use basic custom content.

I would not use any hacks, hacked objects, or custom objects of any sort - it's a different game with different coding and I could not predict what would happen if you ran into a conflict or something an object needed that Castaway didn't have.

In addition, I think custom accessories (glasses) do not show up in Castaway. Most clothes apparently do show up (I'm assuming ones on custom meshes, or meshes included in Castaway) and I can confirm personally that default replacement skintones, eyes, eyebrows, and hair textures work as well. I've used just those last types and found that was all I needed. Since Castaway is so wildly different from the actual game, custom content of other types would clash with the style anyway.

Downloads for Castaway are placed in:

My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims™ Castaway Stories\Downloads

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 8th Mar 2008 at 9:45 AM
As HP has said above not all work; some items came up under other category. In order to show custom content; you have to enabled custom content under game option.

This is similar to Sims 2
Enable Custom Content!

Test Subject
#4 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 7:29 PM
Yeah actually it does, several mod items from sims 2 can be used in Sims 2 Castaway, but not all. I don't mean things specifically created for a Sims 2 expansion or stuff pack, I mean lets say its a chair, you download it and put it into Sims 2, yeah? But try it in Castaway and it does not. Also some mods may conflict in Castaway just like Sims 2. Its a mater of trial and error, and/or some mods that worked just fine no longer do. If you want to find out whether or not your downloaded content is installed and works properly, like the above says you have to enable it, exit the game after being checked, and reload the game, but also rather than try to figure it out in story-mode, see if it works in free-play mode or the tutorial mode. You have to create a folder named Dowloads just like one for Sims 2. You can also put your own pictures in the paintings folder for when your sim goes at it on the easel, again though if ones don't appear, the blue box with the "X" through it, this is due to the picture is too large, this has nothing to do with any type of error.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 8:54 PM
This thread is over 6 years old.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158