Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Feb 2018 at 4:01 PM
Default What's in the future for Sims 2
What sites are still up for Sims 2 ? Have been playing it for at least 10 years and would like to keep on as long as possible but seems many sites have shut down.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Feb 2018 at 4:13 PM
On MTS, we've had some pretty great modding going on. If the pretties stop showing up, the mods will probably continue. That's the beauty of this game-we've only really begun to scratch the surface of what is possible.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 19th Feb 2018 at 7:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SilverFox30
What sites are still up for Sims 2 ? Have been playing it for at least 10 years and would like to keep on as long as possible but seems many sites have shut down.

@silverfox30
As long as I have time and ideas to create things (I started playing again and notice that I want some new stuff for myself which I can share) and my laptop can handle it and RL doesn't get to me, I will keep creating and uploading.
Although when i notice other don't like my creations I might stop too.

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 19th Feb 2018 at 8:12 PM
I'm not sure the help forum is the best place for this, but as others have said...I'll keep creating for this game. To me, it is more than half of the fun. As long as creators share and downloaders downloads, this game has a future, ts2 site wise.
Then again, the future of your own game depends on you. You still play or not? For the rest, let's just hope the interest for this game lives on, for everyone still enjoying it.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#5 Old 19th Feb 2018 at 8:19 PM
Sites die but new sites pop up. not that different from other aspects of life in general.

My home town, most of the old businesses are gone, but there are new ones. Life goes on. Interestingly enough, two iterations of sims games and side ones showing up as well, since sims 2 and sims 2 is still going on. conversions are still being made. Both to and from sims 2, new discoveries are ongoing.in the last few years alone, we have things that never existed before. New creators are still coming along, and not all of them old. Sims 2 is a classic. May it live forever
Mad Poster
#6 Old 19th Feb 2018 at 9:38 PM
I think most of the CC creators have moved on to Tumblr and other blog sites. A lot of the people who like to write stories and take pictures are also there, it seems.

Simscave and LanaCC are some of the best (and most updated) sites for TS2 updates, and they've got links to most of the sites still active.
http://simscave.mustbedestroyed.org...php?board=172.0
http://sssvitlans.tumblr.com/tagged/s2cc
LanaCC updates daily for all 3 games, and also has everything organized by tags if you want to find something specific:
(TS2 tags: http://sssvitlans.tumblr.com/sims2cc)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 19th Feb 2018 at 10:32 PM
Most of the better sites are still up and running.
MTS
GOS
Plumbobkeep with all of the crafting stations.
Sims2Artists
Leefish
MoonlightDragon
AffinitySims
Black pearl moved.
The Graveyard achieved many older items.
SimCave shows finds and also houses many closed site items
Tumblr/Live Journal/Other blogs abound

How much CC do you need? I have about 30 gigs, some on my modern folder, some in my medieval and some on my desktop. This is with barely any old files. The newer stuff is better so who needs old 2007 CC? Anything that was special was pretty much kept so Christianlov has an archive, Sims2Play has an archive, Ja has an archive. BuggyBooze blog is still up. A few things have been lost but asking on WCIF often finds someone with a file.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 20th Feb 2018 at 4:12 AM
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 20th Feb 2018 at 4:30 AM
Well it may be we will need a separate one for the internet but it hasn't happened yet.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#10 Old 20th Feb 2018 at 8:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Well it may be we will need a separate one for the internet but it hasn't happened yet.

I'm planning to triple boot if necessary - supported version of macOS for day to day use, version of macOS that supports the game, Windows if I really have to (though that'll have to Windows 10, alas, as my current machine can't boot Windows 7).

Don't know if the game will reach its 20 year anniversary, but I think it should make it past 15.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 20th Feb 2018 at 9:01 AM
As long as I have a computer that can run this game, I will continue to download and play and build. And I don't plan on NOT having a TS2-capable computer anytime soon. It is really rare that I can't find a mod or piece of CC that I've decided I want. And while I have absolute zero knowledge in making mods, there's been nothing stopping me from learning to make CC. The idea that the player/creator community is no longer active is far from true. EA abandoned the game, but we definitely didn't. Players come and they go. That's life.

AKA. Anora Acadian
Theorist
#12 Old 20th Feb 2018 at 12:23 PM
Even if it stops running on modern computers, eventually we should be able to use some sort of virtual machine to emulate an environment Sims 2 can use, like Dos Box is for MS dos games.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#13 Old 20th Feb 2018 at 12:47 PM
I dual-booted back to Win7 so it would run smoothly (which it does).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Field Researcher
#14 Old 20th Feb 2018 at 6:27 PM
People are still playing in the Transport tycoon(1995), in the open source version. Maybe the same future is waiting for the TS2...
Mad Poster
#15 Old 20th Feb 2018 at 7:04 PM
There are a lot of sites that are still active just go here for a bunch of them "General - Life Beyond MTS .... more useful/fun sites" http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=529171

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 20th Feb 2018 at 7:53 PM
Well Microsoft has said Windows 10 will be the final version of Windows, and the game still seems to work mostly fine for the majority of people running Windows 10. Of course, nothing lasts forever, but I'm pretty sure that at least for the next 10 or so years we should be fine.

Personally, I will continue playing The Sims 2 until possible. I have no plans of ever "switching over" to TS3 or TS4, especially not the latter. If The Sims 5 ever comes out and is actually good I might consider it, but even then I would not stop playing TS2.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 20th Feb 2018 at 8:42 PM
If someone will release a simulator that will surpass Sims 2, especially in those aspects for which people like Sims 2, with some functionality of Sims 3 and 4, then the game will play less. It will be like RCT3(Sim City 4), and the new simulator will be like the Planet Coaster(Cities: Skylines). If this does not happen, then perhaps The Sims will be gradually forgotten, but in Sims 2 will play a fairly large number of people, because the game is unique.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 20th Feb 2018 at 8:50 PM
About technical details: it's never stopped fans of games.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#19 Old 20th Feb 2018 at 9:25 PM Last edited by Simonut : 20th Feb 2018 at 9:43 PM.
Sims 2 players are a bit stubborn and hardheaded they will continue to play Sims 2 and the modders will continue to mod. The best thing to do is treat your Sims games and mods like a treasure.
Some site did close down and some modders did not want to create after Sims 2, actually no matter how old Sims 2 is it is still one of the best version around in opinion.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Field Researcher
#20 Old 20th Feb 2018 at 9:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frogz2007
What'd be ideal is if a team of talented coders could make a Sims 2 "fangame" using all of the assets from the original Sims 2 and they would use an engine such as Unreal Engine (or Unity).

That's how OTTD was created. In 2004. https://www.openttd.org/en/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 20th Feb 2018 at 9:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by muridae
I'm planning to triple boot if necessary - supported version of macOS for day to day use, version of macOS that supports the game, Windows if I really have to (though that'll have to Windows 10, alas, as my current machine can't boot Windows 7).

Don't know if the game will reach its 20 year anniversary, but I think it should make it past 15.

Should? It's 14 this year and we ain't going anywhere. I still play Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri and it is 19 years old. This game will be played long past 20. In fact people still play pacman and it came out in 1980. Be 30 years old in 2 years.

Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
Sims 2 players are a bit stubborn and hardheaded they will continue to play Sims 2 and the modders will continue to mod. The best thing to do is treat your Sims games and mods like a treasure.
Some site did close down and some modders did not want to create after Sims 2, actually no matter how old Sims 2 is it is still one of the best version around in opinion.

yeah, all of that. Most of us are stubborn old farts. *grabs a stick and waves it at any young grasshopper who dares even suggest it's dying* "And while you're at it, get off me lawn!"

~Call me Jo~
Meet Me In My Next Life
#22 Old 20th Feb 2018 at 9:48 PM
I run my Sims 2 on Window 7 I don't want to even think that in the future Sims 2 will not run on these new system computer.
I had my computer custom made, so as long as I have my window OEM System pack that will installed Window 7 I hope I will be ok

Lab Assistant
#23 Old 20th Feb 2018 at 9:51 PM
One person or even a small team could not create such an advanced game as The Sims. Sims, objects, animations - that's all a piece of cake really, but a game like The Sims requires very advanced AI coding. Yes, in theory it's possible, but everything put together would take a small team, let alone a single person, a very long time. A large team of people would have to undertake a project like this to make it work, just like they did with The Sims, and look how many issues all of the 4 iterations still ended up having. Currently I also just don't think there is enough demand for a game like this, but I would absolutely love it if a company like Paradox released a competitor to The Sims, I really think one is long overdue, as much as I adore The Sims as it stands now. It wouldn't even be a competitor to The Sims 2, but to The Sims 4; just as Cities: Skylines is a competitor to SimCity 2013, but not any of the earlier SimCity games.
Theorist
#24 Old 20th Feb 2018 at 11:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by k6ka
A question that has really been bugging me: how much longer will The Sims 2 work on modern computers?

TS2, and other older software is reason why I stopped dragging my heels and started ordering/purchasing the necessary equipment to build two more computers, both with Windows 7 Professional as that is what has worked very well for me when playing TS2 and running other older software. Neither computer will need to be connected to the internet (as I have another computer, laptop and tablets for that) after the initial setup, so I'm not worried about future operating system updates.

My goal is to be able to play the game for as long as I want, and not be hindered by advancing technology.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Meet Me In My Next Life
#25 Old 20th Feb 2018 at 11:53 PM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 21st Feb 2018 at 12:31 AM.
@PenelopeT To be clear are you saying I can play my Sims 2 on Window 7 without being connect to the internet? I did not know that, for I have always been connected to the internet when playing Sims since 2006.
How do you do that ? I would like to try and see myself.

Jo: sorry clicked edit by mistake.

Page 1 of 3