Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#26 Old 20th Oct 2016 at 12:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I didn't even see that. I probably rush through these pages way too fast.

It's an island, great no dt. Did you think of having an higher ground somewhere?

I will have to read this thread better when I'm on my stationary.

Yeah, the city and farming parts probably shouldn't be too high above sea level, but everything grey on the map is hills. I imagine the suburb being slightly higher than the city, the victorian area even higher, the academy on a mountain top and the chateau on the back of the hills, so that you'd need to get to it by boat.

Perhaps we should open some sort of a chat for this project somewhere, for quicker communication?
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#27 Old 20th Oct 2016 at 12:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Anno2015
I looked over your map AvalonMcSoley, I think that will do fine, maybe some more landmass filled to the left corner (make (part) of 1 or 2 sides connected to the edge and create mountain border with here and there some room for a road to the rest of the world (outside the map)), in that way we have some more room for lots... I've never had a glitch with that before, but ain't playing that much (I like building way more:S)

Good idea! You think you can post a sketch of how you imagine it?
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 20th Oct 2016 at 7:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AvalonMcSoley
Good idea! You think you can post a sketch of how you imagine it?

just as example
dodgy builder
#29 Old 23rd Oct 2016 at 1:04 PM
I did some changes to my post 25, silly me thought it was the last post ... I guess it was, only on the previous page. Must have been on my mobile. Anyways I did changes to my post 25, and that's comments on what happens on this page. No wonder no one has replied *face palm*
Top Secret Researcher
#30 Old 24th Oct 2016 at 1:14 PM
From the attached pictures I'd prefer a more organic world map, too, like the one attached in posts #22/#28. Also, it makes sense to have a bit of space between the different areas so not everything should be filled with lots.

Waterfall sounds nice, I like the idea of varying heights for the different areas also.

I am not too happy with the location of the farmland though. It seems uncommon to me that a city would encircle farmland instead of swallowing it, especially at that favourable area with sea/lake access. So I'd probably either put the farmland area to the top right corner, the bottom left corner of the map or make a sort of "belt" between city and mountains.

Even if we decide to use a large map not all of the map should be used. A large map makes lag much more likely than a medium map (due to the area that needs to be rendered and the number of objects/lots). But of course it would give us more room to develop the different areas. On the other hand, a large map as island would allow for a larger water area for houseboats and diving, if these things should be included as well. There could still be mountains (as in AvalonMcSoley's initial map).
dodgy builder
#31 Old 24th Oct 2016 at 3:36 PM
I'm lurking in and noted Vincents suggestion. I have made a medium map in caw, not doing anything to it. It seems to work on my new comp.
Alchemist
#32 Old 24th Oct 2016 at 7:48 PM
I agree with Vincent about the farm area. It also being right next to industrial seems a bit odd to me. So yeah, I would change it, as well.
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 25th Oct 2016 at 6:43 PM
Was one of my thoughts as well (farm back2back with industry, but this was just a sketch where 2 sides were covered with land instead of water (more space for lots) with some examples (like a forest Mansion and farvella's/ ancient part against mountain (so you can have more development options), each zone can be placed somewhere else on the map (farms for example to the right top and lower income houses where the farms are now). The more important bit for now is to decide how much of each sort of lot type we want/need, made the map in 5 min and saved it in Photoshop (and each color it's own layer) = can rezone in 5 min

How is the ratio land/forest/mountain/water?

Town centers I would always make with a grid (with here and there space for some park); rest of the map you can make more spacious.

Waterfall with a dino cave behind it I made before (as museum with a modern glass entrance building, 3 floor parking (36 cars), metro with glass roofed path to/through waterfall (made the map myself and if someone else develops this waterfall and I've to make the lot I've got some requests behind the waterfall I made elevators to enter the cave. Think some of you saw my first version in the cave topic and that job I think I can do well. Lately I made more appartment towers (also a trick needed in mapeditor to make them more than 20 floors) and football stadiums;

Houseboats and diving are very possible in the map I made, almost 20% of the map total is water... but to be honest never made a houseboat in the meaning of the game (I create a normal lot and form the boat with foundations (so I can remove all the ground around the "ship") and you create space (houseboats are small, to small to create a luxury yacht or aircraft carrier for example), there will be space enough to make those so a houseboat or diving will fit with ease (behind the mountain in the middle of the bay is very nice... Sunken boat with treasure on the bottom while in the mountain next to it an old pirate cave can be found (was capping a pirate Island I made so got reinspired and couldn't stop myself from building a bit futher and build some treehouses).

I really like to expiriment with heigt differences while building and use a lot of foundations besides building large, I create worlds to test ideas, I learn from that map till the point I need map adjustments and then create a new map, in all my active worlds I got 3 homes with actual sims... so I can't comment to much of the living sims stuff another problem is I can make screens in build mode (and can zoom/view in build mode) so can't always get the right corner (besides making screens of over 500 buildings in 26 maps = don't have to much time per lot as you can understand), a 40 floor building you can cap in build mode @ the top or bottom but a bit forward or back can make you jump 20 floors up or down... If anyone got specific requests around my building pics let me know (with a specific request I'll make some time to try to make the wanted screen!

I was thinkin'we should make lists of what we want/need in the town for lot types and if needed wishes about surroundings (for a footbal stadium I prefer a flat lot but a little heigth difference won't be a problem, for high rise apparments I really need a high spike of ground to get them that high (only in the map editor you can make ground higher than max height (as I remember correct 19 floors); anyone feeling the duty to create such a list?
dodgy builder
#34 Old 25th Oct 2016 at 7:42 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 25th Oct 2016 at 7:56 PM.
I was thinking I could work on the ground and then send it off to someone who has an experience in setting up a road net for cities.

When it comes to the industrial area, I was wondering about the right island for suburban on Avalons map. Then the poor people can have parts of the island, perhaps the backside of it or something. Sometimes more affluent people prefer to live on high ground. I was thinking like the world has a mountain in the middle, the backside is only going to have sunlight in the evening and we could put the poor people there and perhaps behind the industrial area? No one wants to live that close to industry anyway, and the poor people might not have a choice.

I was thinking for farming, the area by the castle should be perfect, as that's why people place castle where it can protect the people living in medieval towns, and they often settle on farmland.

I have read that 150 lots should be enough to avoid too much lag.

I found some tutorials while searching for an old listing of available lots: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=382702

Lets just have something to use as a guide. Do we want any of these:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...bbit_Hole_Sizes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*These are based on the rabbit hole itself, I tried to take things like overhangs and flags into account. First number is the entrance side. You'll need a bigger lot to make it look nice =)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following are the lot sizes and type if you were to copy directly from University.
These are not the building sizes, these are the lot sizes from the expansion.
New to University lot types are highlighted in Bold

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was just an assembly from the thread linked to at the top. We will have to find out what we would like to use. I sent you a pm with link to a excel doc we can work on.
Top Secret Researcher
#35 Old 25th Oct 2016 at 8:44 PM
Thank you, Volvenom, for setting up the excel document and compiling all these lots!

I added the different lot types (just lot types, not the lots as implemented in the worlds) and the respective Expansion to your list - I hope that was ok.

It's a bit more condensed and we can easily rule out what we NOT want to have. And work from there how to do what we want to have, decide if we use the premade EA rabbitholes (and from what expansion) or if we build our own, set lot sizes, and then in theory building the lots could already start.

Working with rabbithole rugs allows us a lot of freedom for lot sizes and look of the community lots/rabbithole lots. So I think this is rather useful cc we should make use of.

Anno2015, your building experiments sounds fantastic! Though I would not go as high as 40 floors with the buildings, this might result in problems when playing. I made a lighthouse once which I made like 15 floors high, that would already cause my game to stutter and freeze.

Does anyone know how to setup a group for our planning? As far as I understood we would have the option to use more than one thread there? I know from previous projects that this would be really helpful.

What are we aiming at in general for the look of this world? Is it more like a "bit of everything" neighbourhood with small China, small France, small Bridgeport and small Riverview, small Sunlit Tides etc., or do we focus on a certain overall atmosphere? We can have Sim-Fu academy and a nectary without having the region look like France or China - a wine store or a china town district would work as well, just as an example.
dodgy builder
#36 Old 25th Oct 2016 at 11:39 PM
That was just what I was hoping for vincent. I'm probably sitting in a different part of the world, so I'm guessing I should mostly stay on modern. That's a style that should fit anywhere. I was hoping for a fresh look as a starting point.Modern look very nice with a blu'ish tint.
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 27th Oct 2016 at 1:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vincent T.
Anno2015, your building experiments sounds fantastic! Though I would not go as high as 40 floors with the buildings, this might result in problems when playing. I made a lighthouse once which I made like 15 floors high, that would already cause my game to stutter and freeze.

Ok, I will test some of the buildings in the next week(s), as said: Don't play that much, I'm mostly a builder.... Thanx for the feedback!

and indeed good job on the excell sheet!
dodgy builder
#38 Old 27th Oct 2016 at 4:17 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 27th Oct 2016 at 4:34 PM.
I was thinking about mood for the world what do you think about these:

Dream Dimension

Perfect Day

Cloud Nine

Dystopian

Brntwaffles: http://brntwaffles.tumblr.com/tagged/lighting-mod

I really like the fresh look of the main picture from Dream Dimention.

That will produce a base pallett like these:

Screenshots
dodgy builder
#39 Old 27th Oct 2016 at 10:59 PM
Lets just move ourselves to the group I made please
Test Subject
Original Poster
#40 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 1:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vincent T.
From the attached pictures I'd prefer a more organic world map, too, like the one attached in posts #22/#28. Also, it makes sense to have a bit of space between the different areas so not everything should be filled with lots.

Waterfall sounds nice, I like the idea of varying heights for the different areas also.

I am not too happy with the location of the farmland though. It seems uncommon to me that a city would encircle farmland instead of swallowing it, especially at that favourable area with sea/lake access. So I'd probably either put the farmland area to the top right corner, the bottom left corner of the map or make a sort of "belt" between city and mountains.

Even if we decide to use a large map not all of the map should be used. A large map makes lag much more likely than a medium map (due to the area that needs to be rendered and the number of objects/lots). But of course it would give us more room to develop the different areas. On the other hand, a large map as island would allow for a larger water area for houseboats and diving, if these things should be included as well. There could still be mountains (as in AvalonMcSoley's initial map).

Yeah, moving the farmland seems very reasonable! I like the idea of it being in sort of a belt between the city and hills. Sort of like the layout of a greek polis.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#41 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 1:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Lets just move ourselves to the group I made please

Ummm, I don't have access to that group...?
dodgy builder
#42 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 2:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AvalonMcSoley
Ummm, I don't have access to that group...?

I did include you, have to check.

You should have a pending invitation somewhere. You are the only one who hasn't accepted it.
Top Secret Researcher
#43 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 2:41 PM
@AvalonMcSoley, have you checked your inbox? You should have received a join link by Volvenom.
Mad Poster
#44 Old 30th Oct 2016 at 10:19 AM Last edited by daisylee : 30th Oct 2016 at 10:59 AM.
I have done a lot of world building. The smaller the concept and size the more likely you will actually get it done. If this actually gets to near done I can build some lots if wanted. I have a new world I started ages ago that is almost done. I should finish it and get it uploaded somewhere someday.

And just my opinion, pick a theme and do it. There are worlds galore that have cities and farming and so on. Pick something special and go for that. Pick Victorian. Pick a swamp. Pick whatever and then focus on that theme so you will have spent the months/years working on something unique that will stand out from the pack.

And as Volvenom says, it is the mountains, waterfalls, etc. that add interest to worlds.

Distant terrains do not have to be used if you sculpt and route as needed. I did that in my Storm Island as I wanted a shoreline as well as the islands. If wanted, take a look at it. It was the first world I finished, so pretty basic now. It looks like that was the first version. I later added a lot to it across an expansion bridge with a city area and so on doing about 3 more versions of it.

I never put much on the exchange, but here is my link. If wanted check out the Spider with ports which is fun for this time of year as rather dreary.

http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/daisylee910/mystudio
dodgy builder
#45 Old 30th Oct 2016 at 8:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I have done a lot of world building. The smaller the concept and size the more likely you will actually get it done. If this actually gets to near done I can build some lots if wanted. I have a new world I started ages ago that is almost done. I should finish it and get it uploaded somewhere someday.

And just my opinion, pick a theme and do it. There are worlds galore that have cities and farming and so on. Pick something special and go for that. Pick Victorian. Pick a swamp. Pick whatever and then focus on that theme so you will have spent the months/years working on something unique that will stand out from the pack.

And as Volvenom says, it is the mountains, waterfalls, etc. that add interest to worlds.

Distant terrains do not have to be used if you sculpt and route as needed. I did that in my Storm Island as I wanted a shoreline as well as the islands. If wanted, take a look at it. It was the first world I finished, so pretty basic now. It looks like that was the first version. I later added a lot to it across an expansion bridge with a city area and so on doing about 3 more versions of it.

I never put much on the exchange, but here is my link. If wanted check out the Spider with ports which is fun for this time of year as rather dreary.

http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/daisylee910/mystudio

I can add you if you like daisylee?
Page 2 of 2