Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#201 Old 12th Mar 2008 at 9:22 PM
I've always wondered how this was done. There are a couple of other tutorials for doing this, but they're hard to follow. This one is clear and the screenshots make it a lot easier. Thank you very much.

I'm no longer active here. My latest creations can be found here:

https://blueheavensims.wordpress.com
Advertisement
Instructor
#202 Old 9th Apr 2008 at 9:07 AM
Hey there! About a month or so ago I cloned a table lamp and borrowed the dragon mesh from the dragon statue, combined the dragon and the lamp mesh to make a dragon table lamp. It looks really cool in game but I can't seem to get the recolors to show up. My subsets are set up correctly as far as I can tell and when I recolor it I get both subsets to choose from. But when I place the item in the game, I only see the original color. In catalog it shows my recolors, but not when placed. Any ideas what could be causing this? I have attached my lamp and a couple of recolors for testing.

Thanks!
Attached files:
File Type: zip  wndy26_SculptedDragonLamp.zip (363.0 KB, 12 downloads) - View custom content
Space Pony
#203 Old 5th May 2008 at 11:24 AM
Thank you for this tutorial. It was very easy to follow.

I have a question. You caution to never use the underscore when importing the subset. Why is that? What happens if you do use the underscore? Many of the Maxis subsets use it & I was just curious as to what the problem is with using them I know, I am a real pain when it comes to stuff like this - I just like to know why I am or am not doing something.

Thanks!

Morague
Field Researcher
#204 Old 2nd Aug 2008 at 12:28 AM
Love it! Thanks so much.
Lab Assistant
#205 Old 2nd Aug 2008 at 1:19 AM Last edited by soloyo : 2nd Aug 2008 at 7:25 AM.
thanks for this tutorials is very good,
Lab Assistant
#206 Old 13th Aug 2008 at 2:32 PM
great tutorial, thank you so much!
I just have one question, I cloned the blue hydangea shrub and created a new mesh,anyway I did the usually steps to make it recolourable but when I went to clone the existing material override file I was suprised to find that there was no material override file to clone, I was wondering is there a way to still make it recoulourable? or can't garden plants be recoloured?

I tried to just do everything else but the material override clone part but I found that the new image just overrides the original txtr and I can't recolour it.Please help
Test Subject
#207 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 5:11 PM
Thank you for this fantastic tutorial. It works

I just work on a translation into german.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#208 Old 10th Nov 2008 at 2:38 AM
Do you work as a professional translator at the United Nations? -
Thank you, on behalf of all the German users!

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#209 Old 10th Nov 2008 at 5:15 PM Last edited by Numenor : 11th Nov 2008 at 1:30 AM. Reason: Attachment moved to first post
No

The only reason why I translate the tutorials is...
My english is terrible...

This tutorial has some more details.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#210 Old 11th Nov 2008 at 1:29 AM
Thanks Attachment moved to the first post.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#211 Old 11th Nov 2008 at 5:56 AM
Di nulla!
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#212 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 12:15 PM
Hi, sorry if I am in the wrong place, but I am curious to know how slavesubsets work and can be used, and I am looking for a tutorial. I am working on a remesh of the apartment door and the doormats are slavesubsets - I cannot get to the textures to change the mats, so I wondered if there was a tutorial for slavesubsets?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#213 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 12:47 PM
What were you planning to do to make the game recognise your new door as an apartment door? It needs something like my hack for booth seats. Should I try and make one, or has someone else already done it?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#214 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 12:52 PM
Hi

I have the new mesh for the door - it is to look more like an outside door - no kickplate, no peephole, no name plate, but it works just like an apartment door. This is operational and testing in my game. I want to change the doormats so they also look more outside like. Ideally I would love to add the " rent furnished" option to the pie menu but that is beyond my small skills.
#215 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 12:55 PM
Well, what did you hack to make the game recognise it as an apartment door? Because as it stands in the original code, the game tests the GUID directly.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#216 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 1:27 PM
I don't know - I gave it a new GUID - I just cloned the original door, and then I added the new mesh for the door - I suspected that the doormat might be the secret as only apartment doors have the mat, and the mat HAS to be on the outside. I can post the door if you like, but it will be later as I am at work.......due home at 19.00 CET.
#217 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 1:29 PM
You gave it just one new GUID? Not the usual three for a door?

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#218 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 1:34 PM
No I gave it all 3 and a diagonal version too. It works, and I see both doors in the build catalogue - the original unique separator and my new " less unique separator".
#219 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 2:18 PM
That's strange, and unexpected...

/me frowns

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#220 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 2:23 PM
I am sorry, I did not mean to be strange.............but I was going to upload and now it seems it might not work for everyone - can I ask you to test the packet if I post it? I don't think it makes a difference, but it uses the colours from a maxis master repository object.
#221 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 2:43 PM
Well I am amazed enough that it worked that yes I would be quite keen to see it, thanks If you like you can mail it to [email protected], or post it somewhere on here if you prefer

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#222 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 2:55 PM Last edited by leesester : 17th Nov 2008 at 6:05 PM.
Default Posted file
Ok, will do when I get home - meanwhile, back to the slavesubset - any ideas? I thought I would try Jasana's tutorial - but it seems more focussed on making neighbourhood objects.

Meanwhile, see small picture of door - it is not detailed but if you zoom in you will see those are apartment door handles, but with the other bits of mesh missing. I can rent apartment with these doors.

File is posted to mail address as given
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#223 Old 26th Nov 2010 at 3:25 AM
This is a great tutorial and it was hard for me to understand without the pictures so, I downloaded the .pdf and although it is much easier to understand, I am still getting a flashing blue mesh for the added subset. I am only doing up until the change shape portion. Can I PM my package file to you so that you can take a look at it? I would post it here but, it's for the secret santa on BPS and I don't want my "elf" to know what I'm making.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#224 Old 26th Nov 2010 at 3:47 AM
Oh! Secret stuff! You can pm with a link to the package and I will take a look at it.

But make sure to do the Fix Integrity, make sure your names in the GMND, GMDC, SHPE and GMND are all the same.
Field Researcher
#225 Old 26th Nov 2010 at 4:16 AM
I just fixed it! Thank you so much. I had the files named wrong.
Page 9 of 10