Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 9:00 PM
Default Easter eggs & pop culture in TS4
The Sims 3 thread for this was so cool to look at so why not make one for TS4?

This is my favorite pop culture reference in The Sims so far. It's an object that came with Toddler Stuff and is a reference to the Black Eyed Peas:

Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 12:57 AM
I love "Earl Grey. Hot." on the tea maker. I was playing this game for over a year before it dawned on me that this is a reference to Star Trek TNG's Captain Picard. Ironically, I'm a Trekkie AND I'm binge watching that show on Netflix too...
Mad Poster
#3 Old 24th Nov 2017 at 10:59 PM
In the book case, the parodied the hell out of The Hunger Games to the point they realize they did one parody too many.

In fact, the entire book case of leisurely reading material is comprised of parodies of famous books from a number of genres.

I challenge the bibliophiles of MTS to find all the titles and their real world counterparts.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Field Researcher
#4 Old 25th Nov 2017 at 1:17 AM
Isn't everything within this entry an ester egg or reference to pop culture? There isn't much subtlety with The Sims 4 from my impressions.

We all have to look for answers somewhere. Some in big ol' books, others in big ol' bottles of whiskey.

— Kimberly Irion as Bonnie MacFarlane in Red Dead Redemption (2010)
Scholar
#5 Old 29th Nov 2017 at 1:32 AM
I have to admit, I laughed pretty hard when I saw/got this one from Cats and Dogs:

I think only sims that are Neat will become tense over a smelly pet.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 29th Nov 2017 at 10:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by spidergirl79
I love "Earl Grey. Hot." on the tea maker. I was playing this game for over a year before it dawned on me that this is a reference to Star Trek TNG's Captain Picard. Ironically, I'm a Trekkie AND I'm binge watching that show on Netflix too...

It's really too obvious not to include. But how far in are you?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
#7 Old 29th Nov 2017 at 4:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
It's really too obvious not to include. But how far in are you?

5th season! BTW I just have to say, I did not disagree with your comment... I just can't believe I never picked up on that. I can be a little dense. Sometimes.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 29th Nov 2017 at 6:52 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 29th Nov 2017 at 7:32 PM.
5th season's a good one. You still have some of the show's best episodes to look forward to at that point.
I don't, I just finished it...which sucks. I don't know if Deep Space 9 and Voyager are any good, but I don't think either of them beats TNG.
On a more on-topic note, one of the movies in the Movie Hangout Stuff Pack is an obvious parody of Star Trek. And one of the alien TV programs from Get To Work is an obvious parody of Married With Children, only with aliens.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
#9 Old 29th Nov 2017 at 8:02 PM
I love Voyager myself. Already finished it. Never got into DS9 but I might binge that too to see if I can?

This video is relevant to our thread:

It covers pop culture in the entire sims series.

https://youtu.be/yt2GS0HHGIA

I love pop culture in sims games, but stuff like "throw shade" which is a slang expression (that Id never use) and can be gone tomorrow I can do without.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 29th Nov 2017 at 10:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Scklsy
The Sims 3 thread for this was so cool to look at so why not make one for TS4?

This is my favorite pop culture reference in The Sims so far. It's an object that came with Toddler Stuff and is a reference to the Black Eyed Peas:

Not surprised, since The Black Eyed Peas contributed music to the Sims series spin-off "The Urbz: Sims in the City" released during The Sims 2 era

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Mad Poster
#11 Old 30th Nov 2017 at 7:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by spidergirl79
I love pop culture in sims games, but stuff like "throw shade" which is a slang expression (that Id never use) and can be gone tomorrow I can do without.

YASSSS SLAAAAY

....is why I don't play The Sims 4. It's a game made for people who would unironically say that. It reminds me of the movie "Idiocracy", I guess.

insert signature here
Scholar
#12 Old 30th Nov 2017 at 10:41 PM
Huh. It doesn't bother me enough to not play the game, but it does elicit an eye roll here and there.
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 1st Dec 2017 at 5:00 AM
I love the 'Throw Shade' option. I laugh out loud whenever I see it. It encourages me to use the Mean interactions. *shrug*

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
Scholar
#14 Old 1st Dec 2017 at 7:00 AM
Well to each their own. Funny avatar btw.
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 2nd Dec 2017 at 3:13 PM
Yeah, everyone has different tastes. I'm one of those people that unironically says 'YAAAAS SLAY!'.

And thanks! I've been wanting to change it but can't find any good avies that fits the size limit.

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 9th Dec 2017 at 10:48 PM
This is Bob. This is Bob on prescription drugs. Any questions?