Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Mar 2019 at 12:27 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Pink flashing and $maxVertexProgramVersionHWMajor ?
I am still getting the pink flashing and was over on Leefish reading the closed thread on reading the config-log to see if there was anything I missed and I saw this
Quote:
$maxVertexProgramVersionHWMajor , if that number is lower - the graphic rules will turn off the shaders and drop the resolution, regardless of whether the CPU, RAM and Texture Memory is good enough.
http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6901
I have looked down my config-log a few times and I can't see anything called that. I see it has something to do with shaders though and I am wondering is it because this is missing? Is there anything else in my file that looks wrong/needs fixing?

Putting in the cheat boolprop useshaders false clears up the pink flashing and then doing the fix flashing blue on the batbox fixes the sims thumbnails. Then I delete all the files from the thumbnail folder about once every couple of weeks, but this slows the catalogue down to a crawl and I am quite fed up with it. I don't see why my game is struggling so much with this.
I tried adding the cheat to be on automatically and had no pink flashing but then realized it clashed with my water mod http://modthesims.info/d/587597/pon...r-overhaul.html and my ponds were all black because of the shaders.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  GAMING-PC-config-log.rar (3.1 KB, 8 downloads) - View custom content

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 31st Mar 2019 at 1:41 PM
The experts will be along, but did you set the texture memory in graphics rules? I mentioned it another thread where you talked about this, but didn't see an answer.
Scholar
#3 Old 31st Mar 2019 at 1:51 PM
From the Graphics Rules.sgr:
logSystemInfo "HW T&L: Fixed function:${fixedFunctionHWTnL} Programmable:${maxVertexProgramVersionHWMajor}.${maxVertexProgramVersionHWMinor}"
That means the line in your config log with HW T&L:
Reads as Fixed function:X Programmable:Y.Z
X is ${fixedFunctionHWTnL} (1 in your system)
Y is ${maxVertexProgramVersionHWMajor} (so the value you're looking for is 3)
Z is ${maxVertexProgramVersionHWMinor} (0 in your system)

That system certainly should be able to handle higher settings than you're currently using.
I keep a backup of my thumbnails so if they ever do have a problem I can restore from the backup instead of going through the painfully slow job of rebuilding them.
Instructor
#4 Old 31st Mar 2019 at 3:23 PM
I have been getting this too, but I also found that my graphic card was running too hot. So I hooked up a small fan blowing it inside to keep it cooled down. I could try the fix Chris has here, but so far it hasn't happened again. Check your graphic card software and see if it shows how hot the card it getting while you're running the game. I'm also using the Graphic Rule Maker (newest version) and took off the force textures.
Undead Molten Llama
#5 Old 31st Mar 2019 at 4:37 PM
Are you using any lighting mods, Jo? If so, your problem might be that you don't have the right shaders installed for it or the shaders you have are faulty somehow or installed in the wrong place or you may have conflicting shaders installed. The fact that you don't have pink if you turn the shaders off is something of a clue here. But yes, you have to have shaders turned on for water mods or for that mod that brightens roof colors and stuff like that.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Apr 2019 at 12:03 AM
@iCad I use Spookymuffins with tweaks by Dicreasy. https://dicreasy.livejournal.com/91...?thread=1114397 link way down in the comments.

I am so untech savy I have no clue where shaders would be, I know they are needed is all lol. Something seems screwy that I keep having these issues. Also I have seen an entire hood of CC free houses flash pink, no sims. I noticed your post talking about pink flashing. I recently set my Virtual Memory amount to 35-40,000

@Chris Hatch are you saying that is all on my config-log and that it looks fine? Sorry, I don't really understand what that all means.

Also I haven't updated the drivers to my graphics card and I am wondering if I should? I am loath to ever update anything unless it's broken as updating has broken more stuff in the past.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 1st Apr 2019 at 3:07 AM
Default Flashing Pink
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
The experts will be along, but did you set the texture memory in graphics rules? I mentioned it another thread where you talked about this, but didn't see an answer.

I am getting this too, must be an epidemic !! Only have base game and SP1 installed with very little mods... graphics card is GTX1060 with 6 GB Ram and system has 16 GB Ram … what did you mean about setting something in the GraphicRules.sgr ???
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Apr 2019 at 3:25 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 1st Apr 2019 at 3:44 AM.
I have my graphic rules set, 16 RAM, 4 Gb patch, I have upped my Performance settings to 35,000-40,000 I am also on win 7 because I thought (haha) it would give me fewer issues with sims 2. I have tweaked the Nvidea control panel, Turned lighting to medium and shadows to medium. I do not want to lower any more settings.

I have now added uintProp antialiasingSupport 1 to my cheat file on Gina's advice to see if that will make a difference.

@SilverFox30 read over all of Mara's post. http://marasims.tumblr.com/post/172...flash-crash-fix she has links to all the things including the graphic rules stuff.

Quote:

That was done a long time ago.

~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#9 Old 1st Apr 2019 at 12:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SilverFox30
I am getting this too, must be an epidemic !! Only have base game and SP1 installed with very little mods... graphics card is GTX1060 with 6 GB Ram and system has 16 GB Ram … what did you mean about setting something in the GraphicRules.sgr ???

I was referring to this post with an example of the change. http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...237#post5514237
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Apr 2019 at 1:41 PM
My seti textureMemory is 4095

I'm sure this was something I did with Gina when I was troubleshooting my game -if you remember the horrible mess I posted about on the sticky thread. So far so good on today's test.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#11 Old 1st Apr 2019 at 2:35 PM
Your ${maxVertexProgramVersionHWMajor} is 3 which is above the level to begin to turn features off for some cards. On that card you really shouldn't need to be turning the settings down so hopefully you'll find the actual problem and be able to turn everything else up full.

I always test A&N on an old Pentium3, 733 MHz computer before uploading an update it and although it becomes extremely slow I can turn the settings up full without ever having any flashing pink. On my main computer I have had flashing pink a couple of times when the game has been played hard for too long, it always happens on the sims themselves and they stop animating (float around with arms outstretched) so I would guess the problem relates more to the mesh in ram going wonky and losing the bone assignments and uv mapping than texture memory.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#12 Old 1st Apr 2019 at 11:17 PM
I will continue on with this recent test. Yesterday I loaded one family, took her to her shop, took him to the pub to tend bar then she went to the grocery shop to get food. Loaded another family and one sim went out on a date and the other sim went to her shop. No pink flashing since adding that line to my cheat file.

Thanks for the info Chris.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 2nd Apr 2019 at 5:20 AM
Default Flashing Pink
Quote: Originally posted by Chris Hatch
Your ${maxVertexProgramVersionHWMajor} is 3 which is above the level to begin to turn features off for some cards. On that card you really shouldn't need to be turning the settings down so hopefully you'll find the actual problem and be able to turn everything else up full.

I always test A&N on an old Pentium3, 733 MHz computer before uploading an update it and although it becomes extremely slow I can turn the settings up full without ever having any flashing pink. On my main computer I have had flashing pink a couple of times when the game has been played hard for too long, it always happens on the sims themselves and they stop animating (float around with arms outstretched) so I would guess the problem relates more to the mesh in ram going wonky and losing the bone assignments and uv mapping than texture memory.

That is what mine were doing, Sims pink with arms outstretched and kind of floating around and flashing pink and dark I think. I couldn't get out of it....what do you do to stop it ?? I certainly wasn't playing hard or long when it happened and my computer has plenty of memory, but perhaps not allocated properly (main comp has 16 Gb ram and card has 6 more).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#14 Old 2nd Apr 2019 at 5:39 AM
@SilverFox30 make sure you have done everything listed on Mars's site that I linked to above. The only things I have not done is turn view distance down as I want that and should on my system be able to have it.

In my first post, I outlined what you can do temporarily to keep playing. Also try adding this cheat to your cheat file on the automatically on area uintProp antialiasingSupport 1 As said I am testing it but so far so good.

I am posting this more for the odd or obscure that I have yet to try because all the regular stuff I have tried and it's failed. With 16 Gb ram and card with 6 more, your system sounds good.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#15 Old 2nd Apr 2019 at 10:28 AM
@SilverFox30 - have you seen this video? Some people have found it helpful for fixing the pink flashing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLkmxAg7r3Y
Scholar
#16 Old 2nd Apr 2019 at 2:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SilverFox30
That is what mine were doing, Sims pink with arms outstretched and kind of floating around and flashing pink and dark I think. I couldn't get out of it....what do you do to stop it ?? I certainly wasn't playing hard or long when it happened and my computer has plenty of memory, but perhaps not allocated properly (main comp has 16 Gb ram and card has 6 more).

Your card and problem seems very similar to Jo's, if Jo's current fix does work then I can add a line into the Graphic Rules for A&N to better support those cards.

This problem seems to be the newer and better the computer the more prevalent it becomes, I'm not sure that throwing more ram at it is the way to go.
It's only occasionally happened to me and it's normally a clear warning the game is likely to crash soon, so how I treat it would be different to if I encountered it regularly. My immediate concern is always that if a mesh or texture currently held in ram has become corrupt then what else might be? Is it possible that bits that will be saved when I save the game like neighbourhood memories and relationships will become corrupt? I really don't know but just in case if plausible I'll immediately exit the game without saving.
If there has been an event like a wedding or birth that I really don't want to lose then I immediately turn the graphic settings and view distance etc. right down to free up a bit of ram. If I'm currently at a liveable lot then turn the camera away from everyone, save, turn the settings back to normal ready for next session and exit. At a non-liveable lots I need to send my sims home to save the game, walk home is preferable to a visible vehicle, when (if) they make it home then I exit without saving (the game was just saved).
Alchemist
#17 Old 2nd Apr 2019 at 10:56 PM
@Chris Hatch, did you say something about how textures load, in that a skin or hair might not be loaded into the game until the sim using it is needed? I vaguely remember something like that. I'm asking because it would help determine whether seldom-used high res textures are ok to keep, because they won't be used often, or if they should be deleted, because they are taking up resources even when they aren't used.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#18 Old 2nd Apr 2019 at 11:23 PM
What flashes pink in my game is totally random and can be Maxis just as well as CC. One time it was the rain puddles.

No pink flashing last night although I was just on the one lot that time.

~Call me Jo~
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 16th Apr 2019 at 7:26 AM
Bumping to say my game went pink flashing today. I had just played my hood which has an overlay over the water and I had played the beach wedding lot, then loaded the home lot and was waiting for the sims to arrive back home (community lot time) I'm wondering if that overlay on the beach hood water could have done it?

That made 16 days from the last episode.
Screenshots

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#20 Old 16th Apr 2019 at 2:47 PM
Like mine, your card could be overheating. Can you check to see in your graphic card software how hot it's getting while your running the game and how fast the fan is blowing on it? I bought one of those small desktop fans and blow it into the intake in the computer that helps keeping it cooled down.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 16th Apr 2019 at 7:35 PM
A couple of years ago, Bulbizarre recommended a small freeware utility called "Core Temp". I find it very useful to show how hot my system is running. I don't remember where the original post was, but I copied it for reference.

Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
... if you're on an machine that's prone to overheat, take a look at Core Temp. It'll sit in your system tray and display the temperature of your CPU.

(Quick warning, in the installer version there's an offer for a third-party software. As long as you don't click right through you'll see it. Or click on More Downloads and get the standalone version, which doesn't require installation.)

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#22 Old 16th Apr 2019 at 11:54 PM
I really don't think it's overheating since it's had this issue since near the start (PC brand new February this year) and I had temps checked before. To start with there was one faulty component overheating and that got fixed.

I could not use the better nightlife mod due to immediate pink flashing and same appears for that ocean overlay as last lot of pink flashing was after visiting a beach lot in that hood. That seems to indicate some kind of shader problem to me.

I have core temp. This is now, this morning, no game running.

Looking up shader issues on google, does windows 7 have a shader cache folder?
Screenshots

~Call me Jo~
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#23 Old 17th Apr 2019 at 12:10 AM
That's showing your CPU temps though, I would think your GPU temps would be more relevant for the pink flashy issue.

This whole thing is a real puzzle though, I wonder if it's some sort of bottleneck problem where the game is throwing too much data to the GPU? @joandsarah77 have you tried vsynching your GPU, and having your graphics card handle antialiasing instead of the game? I find I get much better results visually and performance wise if I override the game settings.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#24 Old 17th Apr 2019 at 12:31 AM
I asked Gina who helped me majorly with everything on this computer (check out this thread and my early issues:http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...5#startcomments starts on page 3) edit; you actually replied on that thread. Thank goodness that at least got sorted :D
and she says we did all of that. We did so much stuff that I can't even remember half of it. It's a mystery, a very annoying one lol.

So no shader cache folder I could delete?

I think what this computer needs is a doctor, one who games. My biggest mistake was getting a business IT to put this together and even though I upgraded both the graphics card to the Nvidea and the power supply from the 750 to the 850 (it was the power supply that overheated early on) and doing so has allowed my game to run and save it's never been really happy.

~Call me Jo~
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#25 Old 17th Apr 2019 at 1:13 AM
Hmm, not sure clearing the shader cache will help, it is most likely in %Temp%/\NVidia. You could try disabling the cache though; it should be in the 3D settings if you open your NVidia control panel. You can set it to off for all applications, or just Sims 2. That's where you'd check whether the GPU is set to handle antialiasing etc., and whether vsynch is on.

This is a program that might be useful to you; this will check temps and voltages for all of your components, so will tell us if there's any problem.
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
If you download the zip file it doesn't need to be installed; I use this program all of the time to monitor my PC, and it will keep track of max and min values whilst you play too.
Page 1 of 2