Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Apr 2022 at 5:36 PM
Default Scrapped Maid active career research thread
I could swear that few months back I've seen references to a maid career while digging through occupations code a few months back but soon forgot all about it until just now I saw quite a bit of code referencing what's apparently a scrapped Ambitions-style maid active career. Other modders said they've seen tidbits about it elsewhere, too, so I decided to start a research thread so we could maybe figure out exactly how much of it is left and how usable that content is.

What I've found so far are TaskIDs and JobIDs for work the maid is supposed to do in the Occupation class in Sims3GameplaySystems.dl Sims3.Gameplay.Careers:

Advertisement
Space Pony
#2 Old 3rd Apr 2022 at 11:16 PM
I've seen those enum constants before, and have had resurrecting such a profession on my to-do list for years. That said, if someone else gets to it before me, that's awesome, since it's one less thing I have to do!

Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's any other remnants left in the game. Nothing comes up from a cursory search of the active career tunings and the EP2 fullbuild. There's a kitchen apron outfit that might have been tied to it, but I think that's really stretching it.

"The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had." - Eric Schmidt

If you enjoy the mods I put out, consider supporting me on patreon: www.patreon.com/Gamefreak130
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#3 Old 4th Apr 2022 at 12:24 PM
I like the JobIds they've come up with! Or rather the "Challenges". It's definitely something (Alongside a Handyman active career) that I've always felt was missing!

I'd say, it's good that we can take advantage to the fact that they're already included in both enums, saves the headache of having to "hack them in" so to speak Initially creating an active career isn't too hard, it just happens to be incredibly script-heavy and also requires some good knowledge on creating careers in general, thus I'm guessing that it hasn't really been tried before. (And probably because of the enums)

Wouldn't mind starting a project (maybe in this thread) to make it a bit of a community effort to have this become a thing? I'm just thinking out loud lol
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Apr 2022 at 6:09 PM
Community project sounds great!
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#5 Old 5th Apr 2022 at 1:13 PM
So it's all in the same place, the only active career I know of is Arsil's Mangaka one https://modthesims.info/d/579441/ma...ive-career.html
Which is what I used to get my WIP librarian active career loaded. Though the join career interaction didn't have the dialogue with the description, career info, and accept/reject choices (like when you browse careers in a newspaper or join from a rabbit hole). It just immediately joins it, or asks if you want to quit your old job if you had one. I did mess around with copying the nraas careers code and the EA code and got the dialogue to popup but then the accept/decline buttons didn't do anything. Not really a big deal but kinda annoying if you want to do it properly :p

I got to the stage where the carpool was working so the sim was taken to and from work, but I think to go any further you need to have interactions that increase performance for the career, and then there are those job and task events which I didn't even begin to look into :p
Also I think if you want autonomous actions you'd need to create custom commodityKinds? Or something :p
So sims in x profession know what they should be doing.

I think it would be cool to have an active career loader and tool to automate a lot of stuff. For example, I feel like the carpool is pretty standard behaviour - it should arrive at the sim's home lot an hour before work, and take them to work, then pick them up at the end, just like rabbithole careers. But from what I remember there were so many functions and stuff to get it working when it really seems like something that could be done automatically with just a few bits of info from an xml (like car type, work lot, work hours...)
But yah I have no idea how to do that

If anyone wants my librarian code, I can post it, but warning it is pretty horrible and a lot of copied from Arsil's code. In fact my package was just an edited version of Arsil's because making it from scratch was too messy for me, as there were a lot of xmls and I didn't know which were the bare essentials etc

Food for thought!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 5th Apr 2022 at 2:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zoe22
So it's all in the same place, the only active career I know of is Arsil's Mangaka one https://modthesims.info/d/579441/ma...ive-career.html
Which is what I used to get my WIP librarian active career loaded. Though the join career interaction didn't have the dialogue with the description, career info, and accept/reject choices (like when you browse careers in a newspaper or join from a rabbit hole). It just immediately joins it, or asks if you want to quit your old job if you had one. I did mess around with copying the nraas careers code and the EA code and got the dialogue to popup but then the accept/decline buttons didn't do anything. Not really a big deal but kinda annoying if you want to do it properly :p

I got to the stage where the carpool was working so the sim was taken to and from work, but I think to go any further you need to have interactions that increase performance for the career, and then there are those job and task events which I didn't even begin to look into :p
Also I think if you want autonomous actions you'd need to create custom commodityKinds? Or something :p
So sims in x profession know what they should be doing.

I think it would be cool to have an active career loader and tool to automate a lot of stuff. For example, I feel like the carpool is pretty standard behaviour - it should arrive at the sim's home lot an hour before work, and take them to work, then pick them up at the end, just like rabbithole careers. But from what I remember there were so many functions and stuff to get it working when it really seems like something that could be done automatically with just a few bits of info from an xml (like car type, work lot, work hours...)
But yah I have no idea how to do that

If anyone wants my librarian code, I can post it, but warning it is pretty horrible and a lot of copied from Arsil's code. In fact my package was just an edited version of Arsil's because making it from scratch was too messy for me, as there were a lot of xmls and I didn't know which were the bare essentials etc

Food for thought!

Omg I hate carpools lol :D
Tried and failed once or twice to add them to UC so I kind of gave up on them for the time being (I'm also a bit xmlphobic ) but I'll likely get back to them at some point.