Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Aug 2018 at 5:47 PM
How are those decorative AC units added in Supernatual patch animated?
Wanna know how it's done, wonder if I can make a custom animated wind turbine using the same way
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 2nd Aug 2018 at 7:33 PM
You probably can. cmomoney managed to create a ceiling fan: http://modthesims.info/d/439754, I assume a turbine would be similar.
Like any other animated object, it probably has a rig with bones assigned to the mesh, and an animation CLIP file that handles the animation part.

I would start with cloning an object that has similar bones to what you want, like that turbine for example or this ceiling fan. First you would have to have a mesh for your turbine, so you create that first. Then modify the rig from your cloned object and re-assign the rig to match your turbine. Blender and milkshape will probably be needed to do this, and a bunch of plugins created by some awesome modders that you can find in different places in this site.

Then you probably need to create a custom jazz file for the animation state machine, and do some code editing. Start with the code for the AC unit or take a peek at cmar's code and modify the state machine names to reference the new jazz script.
Inventor
#3 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 12:12 AM
It's possible to create new fully animated objects, the only problems are: It's very difficult, time consuming, and somehow people don't like to download it.

This is my last animated object. I spent many weeks to complete however in the end it didn't get many downloads.
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=609069
Test Subject
#4 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 1:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by douglasveiga
It's possible to create new fully animated objects, the only problems are: It's very difficult, time consuming, and somehow people don't like to download it.

This is my last animated object. I spent many weeks to complete however in the end it didn't get many downloads.
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=609069

Out of curiosity what did you use to make the rig for that? Been trying to figure out the best tool to use to create a custom rig and apply it to a custom mesh.
Inventor
#5 Old 3rd Aug 2018 at 10:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rgnrk198
Out of curiosity what did you use to make the rig for that? Been trying to figure out the best tool to use to create a custom rig and apply it to a custom mesh.

The default rig plugin for s3pe.
Test Subject
#6 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 12:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by douglasveiga
The default rig plugin for s3pe.

Oh! Does that mean you manually input the bone coordinates yourself, or use something like milkshape/blender to move it into position? Been curious how you rigged your ferris wheel mod for a while now. Its pretty awesome.
Inventor
#7 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 9:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rgnrk198
Oh! Does that mean you manually input the bone coordinates yourself, or use something like milkshape/blender to move it into position? Been curious how you rigged your ferris wheel mod for a while now. Its pretty awesome.

Ferris wheel: Calculated using math and geometry.
Snowman: Copied the coordinates from the original object.