Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Aug 2008 at 9:40 PM
Never Too Young To Die *~COMPLETED~*
It's been a while since I've written a story much less posted one. This one has been on my computer for a while and I've just got to share it. It starts off slow...I admit but it gets better in my opinion. With that said..............

Chapter 1

Katelyn and I were born on the same day in the same hospital to different mothers. Our mothers shared the same room and became fast friends. Our moms raised us together. We went to the same schools, hung out with the same people and as teens, we took jobs at the same mall just so we could be close. If we weren’t together, we were on the phone. We spent many hours talking and planning our future.

What do you want to do after graduation?” I asked as we sat in the sun by my folk’s pool together.
“I’ve been thinking about that Jaysia. I want us to rent a house together. We can split the bills and carpool. It’ll be fun.” She said in an excited rush.
“But Katelyn, I thought you wanted to go into nursing. Won’t you need college for that?” I asked.
“Nah, I can go into the EMT training program as I attend some evening classes. All I’ll be doing at first is driving, assisting the medic. I’ll learn it as I go along.” She added.
“I’m going into the business field. I’ll probably be taking classes at night too.” I said.
“Well there you have it. We will rent a house together, split the bills and maybe even save some money. I like the idea.” She said.
We wandered inside and got dressed, meeting in my family’s den to discuss it further. Kat could be pretty persuasive when she needed to be, but I liked the idea anyway. I guess she knew she had won me over for she squeezed me tight right before she set off for home.

I scoured the newspaper and the internet searching for a house we could afford. We spent every waking moment packing and searching for just the right house anxious to get out of our parents homes. We knew we didn’t want to be too far from town but we didn’t want to have too many close neighbors either. If we found anything of interest, we would check it out and if it proved interesting, we would alert the other with a call. I found a few places to go see in the evening paper.

It had been a long week with graduation prep all around. I was looking forward to the weekend. I had one more house to look at then I was going to meet some friends for dinner and a movie. When I first saw the house, I knew it was the one. It was beautiful with mature trees and a pool. I called the owner from my cell phone. He quoted his rental fee and I gasped in shock. It was far less expensive than any house we had looked at so far. I asked him to meet me later so we could walk through. He agreed. I hung up and called Katelyn.

“I found it Kat. This house if perfect, you have to see it. Can you come meet me and the owner for a walkthrough?”
“Sure! Does it have a pool? Can we have pets? Does it have a nice yard? How many bedrooms does it have? She asked in a rush.
“Hold your horses there Kat…it’s a pretty nice house…it has a pool and a pond, but come see it ok.”
“Where is it?” she inquired.
I gave her quick directions before wandering around the grounds.

Comments are appreciated. I have the whole story written and I am anxious to share it...It's only a matter of taking pictures, which I admit, I'm not that good at. Chapter 2 coming soon.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans are suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
6 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
#2 Old 6th Aug 2008 at 12:22 PM
Nice start! *waits to see what happens next*

And if you want a little advice for picture taking, just try to play with the camera. Try getting closer to the object (like the first picture - that one is great). I'm sure with a little practice it will get better!
#3 Old 6th Aug 2008 at 3:26 PM
Good start! I can see its going somewhere!

Looking forward to the next update! :D
#4 Old 6th Aug 2008 at 4:28 PM
I want more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Aug 2008 at 8:06 PM
I'm taking pictures for chapter 2 now. Thanks so much for your comments!! I really appreciate them.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans are suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Aug 2008 at 9:04 PM
Default Chapter 2
Katelyn arrived just seconds after the owner. We toured the house, selecting our rooms as we went along. The house was just right for us.
“This is wonderful” Katelyn said as we wandered from room to room.
“The pond is awesome. We can have fresh fish whenever we want.” I said with a smile.
“Our rooms are on separate sides of the house so if we need privacy, we will have it.” Katelyn added. We both wandered out to see the pond. Excited to have so many extras at one place.
“I love the pond, the landscaping. WOW! This is great Jays. You are right, this is the ONE!”

We told the owner we would take the house. We signed the papers and accepted the keys. We spent the next few days moving in, enjoying the new area, seeing the sights and meeting some of our neighbors. Then real life took over. We both had jobs waiting for us and we jumped right in. I took my business job while Katelyn followed her dreams of helping people. She accepted the EMT job and our lives soon turned into one big blur of working, cleaning and sleeping. We had so little free time in the beginning. We hardly ever got the same days off but when we did, we usually spent them at home talking about our jobs, co-workers or various other topics.

“Meet any new or interesting people riding in that ambulance?” I asked.
“I meet all sorts of people Jays but they are all sick or hurt and not in any way looking for romance.” She said with a laugh.
“That’s not what I meant and you know it.”
“Yes you did. What about you though? There must be some guys around that office of yours.” She teased.
“A few, but none quiet interest me.”
“Yeah right!” She teased with a grin.

It was just after my second promotion when Katelyn got the flu. She took a few days vacation to recover. I took care of her when I was home and worried about her when I wasn’t. It seemed like instead of getting better, she just kept getting worse. She grew pale and lost a lot of weight. I couldn’t get her to go to the doctor even though I begged her.
“See the doctor Katelyn. He can give you something to help you snap back.”
”I work around sick people Jays, I’m bound to catch something sooner or later. Don’t worry so much. I’ll be fine.”

Don’t worry she said. I couldn’t help but worry. She kept saying she would bounce back. I stopped bugging her, but I still worried. When her vacation time ran out, she went back to work, but she wasn’t better. I knew it in my heart even though she put on a good front. I would catch her when she didn’t know I was watching, looking worried and scared.

Comments welcome. Chapter 3 coming soon.

#7 Old 8th Aug 2008 at 1:10 PM
oooohhh this is good i wonder whats wrong with her...
#8 Old 8th Aug 2008 at 4:24 PM
It's getting rather sad. I hope she'll get better!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Aug 2008 at 7:47 PM
Default Chapter 3
Things rocked on, life goes on. Katelyn lost her parents in a plane crash and within that month, my own mother was murdered in a robbery. The deaths rocked us both hard. Kat’s parents were like my own and I knew how much Kat loved my mom Angelica.

As I said, life does go on. Katelyn did eventually seem to get well and she met a man. She raved about how cute he was, how sweet he was and how I would think, he was perfect for her. I finally convinced her to invite him over for dinner. When I first saw Braxlee, he was everything Katelyn said he was. He seemed sweet to her. Yet for some reason I just didn't like him. He was my best friend’s boyfriend and I owed it to her to give him a chance.

He spent a long time at the house that night. I watched his actions and reactions like a hawk. I listened politely while they talked about the way they met and where they shared their first date. I smiled and nodded, doing all the things I felt they would expect me to do on the outside but inside I was coiled tighter than a spring. I wanted to get away from them. For one thing, it was embarrassing to watch them fawning over each other. I was also a tad bit jealous, wishing I had someone special in my life, but mostly because Braxlee made me nervous and I couldn’t figure out why.

Finally, I told them I was exhausted and after goodnights and goodbyes, I escaped to my room where I could take a deep breath and get Braxlee off my mind. The looks he shot me during dinner chilled me to the core. His eyes weren’t friendly or teasing, just empty, emotionless pools. I couldn’t tell if they stayed that way when he looked at Katelyn but I assumed that she would notice. I heard the front door close and the lock slide in place. I knew he was gone, now maybe I could relax. I snuggled under the cover hoping to dream of better things.

It's a short chapter....I know. Chapter 4 coming soon!

As always, comments, feedback most welcome!

#10 Old 8th Aug 2008 at 8:27 PM
Keep posting! ^_^
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 12th Aug 2008 at 9:09 PM
Default Chapter 4
Katelyn spent a lot of time with Braxlee leaving me to putter around the house alone. She seemed to care for him so I pretended to be happy for her, but I still didn’t like him. He made me nervous but he never did anything to justify my feelings. I still longed for someone special of my own but I was too picky. I could always wallow in my own misery. I had plenty of time to do it.

We had been in the house over six months when our property owner notified us that he needed to sell the house. After a few days thinking and planning, I decided to buy it. I had to borrow the money from my dad but the house was officially mine. I got another promotion at work and to celebrate Katelyn threw a party for me. She said she had a surprise for me and I was anxiously waiting to see what it might be. After mingling with all the guests, I went to sit down at the picnic table. The man I sat next to greeted me politely. I recognized his voice. It was Jareth. My high school crush. We stood and embraced quickly, holding one another a little longer than necessary. I would have swooned had he not been holding me. He looked and smelled so good.

Jareth and I had dated casually for a few weeks before he went off to college. I fell in love with him but he didn’t seem to share my feelings so I kept quiet. He said that the smart thing to do was to break off our relationship and go our own way since he was leaving town for college. It broke my heart but I let him go to pursue his dreams. I had heard from him only one time since he left. Oh, don’t get me wrong, the town gossips kept me informed about whom he was dating and how he was doing. He and I sat at the table and started talking and before I knew it, the guests were all gone. Jareth stood pulling me up beside him.

“I enjoyed tonight Jaysia. I’d like to see you again if that’s ok.”
“Sure. I enjoyed it as well. It was so good to see you.”
I walked him to the door where I stopped. He kissed my cheek, his lips soft against my skin. He whispered something but I couldn’t hear him then he was gone. When I turned around, there stood Kat. She was grinning ear to ear. I couldn’t help but smile back.

“I take it you liked my surprise?”
“You set this up? You found Jareth for me?”
At her nod I giggled and hugged her tightly noticing that she hadn’t gained back the weight she lost. She laughed and said.
“Well, you haven’t been the same since you guys stopped seeing each other. I mean you won’t go out with anyone more than once and you just mope around here as if you’ve lost your best friend. It’s been 2 years since you saw the man yet you still have those pictures on your bedroom wall and in your wallet. Come on girl. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that you have it bad for this man.”
She was right and she knew it. I didn’t argue, just hugged her and thanked her before heading off to bed to relive the night in my mind and to dream about seeing him again.

Feedback welcome.

Field Researcher
#12 Old 13th Aug 2008 at 12:45 AM
I love this story! It's got such a sad title though, I hope it doesn't out too bad for the girls. They have such a unique friendship. Keep updating! I'm adding this to my bookmarks!

The best stories come from real life. Check out my Sim story at S2C:
Back To Love
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 13th Aug 2008 at 4:06 AM
Thank you Treena....It's going to get sad in the following chapters but I can't spoil it for you. I hope you like it anyway, sad and all!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 13th Aug 2008 at 8:25 PM
Work was a drag the day after seeing Jareth again. I didn’t want to be there. I wanted to see Jareth but I had forgotten to give him my number or get his so I couldn’t call him. At quitting time, I was the first one out of the office. I made it home in record time. Katelyn’s car was in the driveway, which was odd, she usually worked an hour later than I did. My concern for her outweighed my desire to find Jareth’s number. I found her in bed, covers thrown off, and her face drawn. I gently felt her forehead. She was cool. I shook her shoulder gingerly. Her eyes slowly opened and met mine. She swung her legs off the bed and sat up.

“What’s wrong Kat?”
“I don’t know Jaysia, my stomach hurts something awful, I’m tired, I can’t eat anything and my head is pounding.”
“I’ll call the doctor.”
“I already did. They said there is a virus going around and it could last from 3 to 10 days with stomach pain, headache, nausea and vomiting.”
“Dang girl, your body won’t let you get over one illness before another one is kicking your butt. This time, you stay in bed the full 10 days.”
“I can’t Jay…you know I don’t have anymore vacation time this period. If I miss 2 more days they are going to fire me.” She was crying.
“To hell with that job, I’ll hire you in my office if we have to but you have to get better. How to you expect to work like this?”
I guess she exhausted herself. She lay back down and quickly drifted off to sleep.

I left her door open and went to tend to my daily chores. I had some money saved, if I had to, I’d be able to support the both of us until she was well again. Later that night as I was sitting by Katelyn’s bed helping her eat, I heard someone singing outside. I sat the bowl aside and ran to the window. There on the walk , on his knees was Jareth.

I dashed to the door and pulled him inside. I quickly explained that Kat was sick and that I couldn’t leave her.
“We don’t have to go out. We can do something here. I’d just like to spend a little time with you.”
I couldn’t turn that down so after exchanging phone numbers and ordering pizza we settled on the love seat to talk.

“What is wrong with Katelyn?” Jareth asked.
“She said it’s something that’s going around.”
“Well you better be careful that you don’t catch it.”
”I doubt I’ll get it. I’ve always been healthy as a horse. I can’t get sick anyway. I have to take care of her.”
“I admire you for what you do for Katelyn. You are a wonderful friend to her.”
He rose from the love seat and pulled me into his arms. I snuggled into his embrace enjoying the feel of his arms around me.

I checked on Kat several times during the night. It seemed she was exhausted. She was asleep each time I checked on her. Jareth and I spent a nice evening together. We talked, we danced and we ate all in the comfort of my living room. When Jareth noticed my yawning, he reluctantly hugged me and told me to get some sleep. He kissed me goodbye, I locked the door and slipped into Kat’s room. I collapsed in the chair by her bed. Her eyes met mine briefly and she gave me a weak smile. I told her about the evening while she dozed. It wasn’t long before I too succumbed to sleep.

Kat was awake the next morning looking a little better but still pale. She kidded me about sleeping in the chair and mothering her. I just laughed with her knowing she would do the same for me. I made her promise to stay in bed while I went to work. I made her a small breakfast and served it to her. I made sure she had everything she needed before I left. I even called to check on her on my breaks. She didn’t answer either call. I figured she was sleeping so I didn’t let it worry me too much. When I got home, I rushed to check on Kat. She was sitting in the recliner, head in hand.

I walked over to stand in front of her.
“Kat, what’s the matter. Do you want me to take you to the doctor?”
She didn’t say anything so I turned intending on getting her shoes but her words stopped me.
“I went to the doctor today.” she said through her tears.
........................................................................................................

To be continued...............

Comments welcome!!

#15 Old 13th Aug 2008 at 9:29 PM
o.o no!! what does she have???!!
this is so sad, I can't even imagine how would I react if something like that happens to my best friend..
I can´t wait to know what is happening with her.

Nice story <3 it's really touching
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 15th Aug 2008 at 12:36 AM
Default Chapter 6
Ok, from here on it gets sad...seriously. If you don't like tear jerkers, don't read further.

I don’t know how long Kat sat there and cried with me frozen beside her. Finally, I managed to ask her what the doctor said.
“What did he say Kat?”
She sobbed harder. I pulled her up and into my arms. I held her while she cried.

I was murmuring that things would be ok when she dropped the bomb on me.
“I’m dying Jays.”
My jaw dropped and I spun her around to face me.
“WHAT?” My voice was shrill.
“It’s cancer Jays. I have cancer and I’m dying.”
“This is crazy, you can’t have cancer. How do you know that you have that….that disease?” I couldn’t even say it…
“I went to the doctor today. He ran all kinds of tests. I have a cancerous growth in my belly. We saw it on the scans and they did blood work. They say its small cell carcinoma and its terminal. They think it’s in my ovaries, my liver and my right lung. I’m going to die Jays and probably soon. My prognosis is 3 months. 3 months. How am I going to squeeze a lifetime into 3 months and how sick am I going to be?” Sobs overtook her and I cradled her slim body against mine. We cried together for a long time. I was in shock. This couldn’t be happening. I had to excuse myself to absorb what she told me.

The next day, I took off work to be with Kat when she went to see the oncologist. He did a few tests, a biopsy and inserted a subcutaneous port just below her collarbone. The port looked like she had a bottle top under her skin but I didn’t say anything to her about it. While Kat dressed, I followed the doctor to his office. He motioned for me to sit which I did. He watched me from across his desk. He was very blunt when he spoke. He said there was nothing that he could do for Kat.

Surgery was not an option due to the fact the cancer had spread so far. He said Kat would be taken for a brain scan in a moment to see if the cancer had reached her brain. I asked about chemo but he said it wouldn’t cure her, only prolong her suffering. With chemo, she could possibly have a few more weeks but would it be worth the pain and suffering she would endure? He didn’t gloss over the fact that she would most likely suffer pain so severe she would scream, cry and maybe even try to end her life to escape it all. I sat there stunned, shocked into silence.

When Kat was brought back to the room where I waited, she was crying. She said she was hurting. The nurse said she would bring her something and hurried off. After a shot of morphine, Kat was quiet. She had a haunted look in her eyes that broke my heart. I couldn’t imagine what she was thinking, how it would feel to be in her shoes. An hour later the doctor called me back into his office. Kat was sleeping off the pain meds. He wasted no time telling me that there were masses on her brain and on her brain stem. He told me the best thing he could do was to keep Kat as comfortable as possible until the end. Once again, tears rained down my face. I quickly gathered my wits and thanked the doctor for his time. I arranged for a nurse to come daily to help with Kat then took her home and tucked her in her own bed.

I called Jareth. He knew by my voice that something was wrong. He assured me he would be right over. When he arrived, I took him to the kitchen so we wouldn’t disturb Kat.
“What’s going on Jays? You sounded upset on the phone.”
“It’s Kat Jareth. She has…she….she’s dying.” I lost it, the dam broke, and I cried like a baby for the friend that I was losing. No matter what, she would die. It didn’t matter that she was only 25. Neither did it matter that she had never been married, that she would never give birth or hear a child call her mommy. It didn’t matter that she was a good person who had never been in trouble or done anything to hurt anyone. It just wasn’t fair. Jareth held me while I cried. He tried so hard to comfort me even though he knew he couldn’t.

When the flood abated, Jareth urged me to explain. In a shaky voice, I told him what the doctor told me. He held me gently when I finished. He asked if I had called Braxlee. I told him I hadn’t and that I didn’t want to right now. I explained that I just didn’t like the man but I knew I had to get over that and tell him. They were an item after all. I let Jareth hold me for a little while longer while I sat building up the strength to call Braxlee. With shaking hands, I dialed his number. He answered on the first ring.
“Braxlee, its Jaysia. I need to talk to you. Could you come over?”
“I can’t right now, I’ve got company and I have to be at work at 6. What’s do you need to talk about? Can’t you just tell me on the phone?”
“It’s about Kat and it’s urgent.”
“Well say it why don’t you. Is she hurt? Is she still sick? I am not coming around her while she is sick. I don’t want what ever it is she has.”
“You jerk. Don’t worry. You can’t catch what she has. She’s dying stupid. It’s cancer.”

I didn’t even wait on his response, just slammed the phone down. I was shaking with anger. Jareth wrapped his arms around me and soothed me as best he could.

Too be continued. If you are still reading, your comments are most appreciated!

Field Researcher
#17 Old 16th Aug 2008 at 7:04 AM
This makes me want to go have a checkup with my doctor! What inspired this story? Hopefully not life experience. I can't imagine what that would be like. So much tension... I definitely want to see how this plays out and how Kat will live out her 3 months. I would travel the world!!

Back To Love
#18 Old 16th Aug 2008 at 11:55 AM
At least now the title of the story makes sense... It's so sad though. I wonder what the next three months will be like. I hope they will at least have some fun, if I can say it like that.
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 16th Aug 2008 at 1:47 PM
Sounds sad. Now I know why the title's like that. Will read on to find out more. Great story!

(Psst, I'd not boldface all the text in the story. Just me.)
Test Subject
#20 Old 16th Aug 2008 at 4:43 PM
Aw, this is really sad! Poor Jaysia! I can't imagine what it must be like for her to be loosing such a good friend!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 17th Aug 2008 at 8:51 PM
Default Chapter 7 Part 1 *Takemizu Village*
Thanks for all your comments. I appreciate them deeply! Treena, this is based on something I went through 2 years ago with someone much loved. Isn't life the best teacher? Of course, some of the story is made up, but it follows what we went through...minus the vacations....my dear friend was too sick for that.

This chapter is split in 2 parts.
==========================================================

Part 1

Kat had 3 months left to live and I intended to see that she lived as best she could. I spoke to her nurse and her oncologist about taking a vacation. Kat had always wanted to visit the Far East and I knew it was within my power to make that dream a reality. I made the travel arrangements, and we were off.

The sun was shining brightly when we reached Takemizu. The driver helped Kat from the taxi as I drank in a deep breath of crisp, Autumn air. Kat placed her hand on my shoulder and sighed in awe as we stood in the shadows of our resort.
“WOW Jays, this is fantastic. I’m so excited. What shall we do first?”
“First, I have to check us in, then we can decide.”

After I checked us in, we made our way to our rooms, taking in the décor along the way. The resort was lovely.
“I’m getting hungry and I’m tired.” Kat said from behind me.
“We can eat in the hotel’s restaurant. Let’s put our bags in our room and freshen up.”
The restaurant was deserted. We were shown to a table off the kitchen. We laughed and joked about the food, knowing we would never find anything to fit our tastes. We decided that even though we weren't sure what prawns were, that we should try as many new things as possible. I would have never ordered them had I known they looked like big bugs!

We managed to finish our dinner, the prawns weren't as bad as they looked. I nearly gagged when I took my first bite, to Kat's utter delight. All through dinner and back to our room, she mocked my expressions and made a horrible gagging sound.
"You enjoyed that didn't you?" I asked with a giggle.
"Hell yeah. That was too funny. You should have seen your face." She dissolved in giggles as I unlocked the door to our room. Kat went right to her suitcase, still twitching with giggles. I studied her, she looked worn out.
“It’s getting late. I’m sure most of the attractions have closed for the night. What do you think about turning in for the night and getting an early start tomorrow?” I asked.
“Sounds good to me Jays, I’m pooped. I’m going to shower and crash. Jet lag. Who Knew?” Kat said with a giggle as she rummaged through her suitcase for her pj’s.

I awoke to the sound of birds chirping. The sun streamed through the window illuminating the room with its bright rays. I stole a glance at Kat. She looked so peaceful.
“Come on sleepy head. Lets get this day started. There is so much to see and do.” I yelled cheerfully. With moans and groans my companion finally joined me, ready to greet the day. We wandered slowly around the hotel grounds. Almost immediately, Kat was approached by one of the locals.

“Hello. Welcome to Takemizu. I hope you enjoy your stay here. Might I offer you a bit of advice…groom the zen garden. It’s very relaxing. Try a massage too. There is much to see and do here. Enjoy.”
“Wow….a massage? Let’s get one.”
Kat was beaming. Her smile and enthusiasm made it all worthwhile. She and I headed over to indulge in a massage.

After our massage, we felt energized. Kat even had a little color in her cheeks. She and I strolled around the grounds watching the locals and admiring the beauty of the buildings.

Part 2 to follow

Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 17th Aug 2008 at 9:02 PM
Default Chapter 7 Part 2 *Takemizu Village*
“Jays, I know you don’t want to think about any of this right now but we need to discus my final arrangements” She said as she held me by the arm. She knew how uncomfortable this made me. I knew she was right but I just didn’t want to face it. If we didn’t talk about it, it wasn’t real…it wasn’t there, staring us in the face.
“Kat, let’s not do it right now. Let’s put all that aside while we relax here. Let’s just enjoy ourselves for now.” I tried to continue walking but she held me still.
“Jays, I know you don’t want to do this, but it’s not going away. I’ve been feeling weaker by the day. It’s time for you to accept that I’m going to die soon and you need to let me talk about it.”
“Kat. I don’t want to do this with you. It’s as if you are ready to go now. Why can’t we just enjoy each day for what it’s worth? Why do we have to talk about something so morbid?”
“Because it’s my reality Jaysia. No matter what we do or how hard we try to ignore the fact… I am going to die.”

I quickly interrupted her.
“How well I know. Don’t you think that fact weighs heavily on my mind? Don’t you think it tears my heart apart knowing I’m going to lose you and there is nothing I can do to stop it? Kat, I love you. You are my best friend and there is nothing I wouldn’t do for you….”
“Then let me get this out Jays. I love you too and no, I’m not ready to die. If I were a hundred years old, I wouldn’t be ready for that. But honey, denying the fact won’t make it go away. You say I’m your best friend right? Then let me talk about this…even though you don’t like it…Let me get it out ok. I need you to be here for me now more than ever. Let me pour out my fears to you Jays. Don’t make me suffer alone when you could be supporting me.” Tears rained down her face. They matched my own. She was right…everything she said was right. She needed to be able to come to me with this…I had to get beyond my own hurt, my own fear and be someone she could lean on. I embraced her while fighting back the tears and the ache that welled within my heart.

“Ok Kat. You want me to be your support, then that is what I shall be. What are your wishes for your final arrangements?”
“Thank you Jaysia. You don’t know what this means to me. Let’s go inside, I’m getting tired again.”

We wandered inside, where Kat flopped down on the sofa. She let out a groan. It set me on edge.
“Are you ok? Do you need anything for pain?”
“I do. Can you give me a shot real quick and let me take a nap? It hurts a lot.”
I gave her the shot and watched helplessly as she crawled into bed. I knew she hurt but I was hurting too and I had no one here to lean on as I watched her decline. Jareth and his job. No, that was wrong of me. He couldn’t help that he had to work. I was the one that was determined to take this trip no matter the timing, or if he could get the time off so I had no choice but to be the strong one. I could do it.

When Kat woke up, she was more anxious than ever to tell me her last wishes. We settled on the sofa and I listened as she went over her final requests. I even managed to keep the tears at bay.
“I want to be buried by my mom and dad. Don’t let Braxlee attend the services. He couldn’t be here when I needed him, I don’t want him there when it’s all over. Promise me Jays.”
“No problem. I’ll keep him away. You know I will do whatever you want.” I could have added that it would be my pleasure to run him off but I kept that to myself. I didn’t need to be childish.
“Oh and my things…I want you to do whatever you think is best. Give my clothes to the needy and sell my car. Or you keep it. You do so much for me.” She started to cry and I folded her into my embrace. I cried with her for a while. When I could stand it no longer, I pulled away, wiped the tears from her eyes and gave her a weak smile.
“Let’s find something to do, if you feel up to it that is. We didn’t come all this way to sit here and cry. We can do that when we get home. Let’s have some fun.”
She gave me a radiant smile. I smiled too as I embraced her once more. She didn’t need to know that I way dying inside, feeling helpless and hating it. Hating the disease that was taking her from this world far too young.

Forgive the pictures. I just learned how hard it is to set up a picture without hacks and props. What a challenge. Chapter 8 will come in a few days. I've got a busy week ahead. I hope you are enjoying the story so far. I sure have enjoyed sharing it.

As always, comments and feedback appreciated!

Field Researcher
#23 Old 17th Aug 2008 at 9:23 PM
I'm glad Kat gets to spend her time with a close friend and doing things she enjoys. It's so sad that you have had to go through something similar in your life. I've experienced loss as well, but losing a young person must be hard to initially accept. But, we learn from the hand life deals us and every person has been given this life for a purpose. Even though some are here shorter than others, they touch our lives in their own special way. Thank you for sharing your story.

PS - It's ironic that you and I are both writing stories based on true life with characters name Kat.

Back To Love
#24 Old 17th Aug 2008 at 11:58 PM
This is a good story. Sad, but very good. It's good that they're able to go out and have some fun with each other. Update soon!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 20th Aug 2008 at 9:05 PM
Default Chapter 8 *Life Goes On*
Kat grew weaker by the day. Our vacation came to an end and we returned home. Kat was quiet during our return flight. She hadn’t asked for anything for pain so I knew she must be in incredible pain. I suffered right along with her.

Upon our arrival at home, Jareth was there to greet us. Kat was full of stories about our trip. She told him that we both had learned to give wonderful massages and kidded him about buying us a massage table. He laughed with her before turning to me and giving me a proper welcome home hug.

Kat went off to unpack and lay down. I made sure she was comfortable before going into my old room on the other side of the house so she wouldn’t hear Jareth and I talking about her.
“How was she during the trip honey?” Jareth asked as soon as the door closed behind us.
“She had a few bad days. She’s stubborn as a bull though Jare and I think she hides her pain from me. She knows I worry and I think she doesn’t want me to feel bad."
“Just be there for her honey, she needs you more than you can imagine and I know she has to be scared out of her mind. It’s going to keep getting worse, you know. I’m worried that you might not be able to handle the pressure.” I looked at him as if he had lost his mind.
“Are you serious? You know I will not turn my back on her…” He quickly interrupted me.
“I’m not saying that at all. I’m just trying to tell you that you don’t have to do this all alone. Let me help you.”
“You do help me Jare. You help me more than I think you realize.”

I could tell by his face that he wanted to say more. Instead, he helped me unpack. He cooked us supper, figuring we were both too tired to do it. He was right. I would have just made a sandwich and gone to bed after Kat was settled.

The three of us were sitting in the living room watching TV when Kat got up to go to bed. She took two steps away from the love seat and collapsed in a heap on the floor. I scampered to her side. I raised her head and laid it in my lap. Her eyes were sunken and her skin had a sickly gray pallor to it. Her eyes were open though and fixed on me. In a weak voice, she apologized.
“Are you ok Kat? What can I do? Tell me what to do. Should I call the doctor?” She simply nodded. I asked Jareth to make the call while I soothed Kat as best I could. Jareth came to me, lifted Kat with his strong arms and carried her to bed. I followed not knowing what else to do. He gently laid Kat on the bed and turned to me.
“Doctor Wouter is on his way. He said he was just going home and would swing by here to check on Katelyn. All we can do is wait.”

When Dr. Wouter arrived, I showed him into Kat’s room. Jareth and I stood in the hallway to give Kat a little privacy. I turned to Jareth and dissolved in tears.
“Is this it Jare? Is she going to die tonight? What am I going to do without her?”
“I don’t know honey. I wish I had the answers for you. I wish I could make her better. I know how much you love her. You two should be sisters. I guess you are though, sisters of the heart.”
“I always thought love could accomplish anything you know. My love isn’t strong enough Jareth. My love can’t stop her from dying.”

Jareth wrapped his arms around me and let me cry. He probably didn’t know what else to do. I needed his comfort though…desperately.

“There is nothing I can do for her.” Dr. Wouter explained as we stood on the porch. “Keep her comfortable until the end Jaysia, that is all you can do.”
“How do I know when she needs a shot when she won’t ask me for one?” I asked in anguish.
“Give her a shot every 4 hours no matter what she says. Tell her its doctor’s orders.”

With that, he climbed into his big SUV and drove away. I knew Kat would sleep off the shot Dr. Wouter gave her so I flopped down on the porch and cried yet again.

The next two days, Kat seemed to rally. She asked me to stop the shots because she swore she felt better. I obliged her. She did in fact seem better. She cornered me in the kitchen and nearly begged me to take her to Club 143. She was all smiles as I agreed. We got dressed and ready for a night on the town. Jareth was working late so it was just us girls.

It didn’t take long for us to get into the groove at the club. We danced a little then played a game of pinball. I noticed a nice looking man watching Kat throughout the evening.

I pulled her aside and told her about the guy watching her. She seemed thrilled. I warned her that she shouldn’t be seeking a man’s attentions right now but she wouldn’t hear me. She sought him out in her own subtle way. I decided to let it go. Kat knew what she was doing. I wasn’t her mother after all.

I ran into some old friends and Kat’s admirer was quickly forgotten. I didn’t think of him again until one of my friends pointed out how cozy Kat and Lyran had suddenly gotten. I followed their gazes, my eyes coming to rest on Kat in the arms of the man I had noticed earlier. My jaw dropped.

Thankfully her back was too me so she couldn’t see the shock on my face. I made my way over to them and butted right in. I pulled Kat to a dark corner and lit in on her.
“What are you doing Katelyn?”
“Oh Jays, lighten up. I’m not dead yet you know. What’s wrong with me having a little fun with Lyran?”

“What’s wrong? Kat, you are terminally ill. Have you told him that? Are you just horny and want a one night stand?”
Kat looked surprised. She shook her head and gave me a go to hell look that made me feel like an ass.
“Jaysia, you have no right to butt into my life like this. If I’m horny as you say, that’s my business isn’t it? And for your information. It’s not about any of that. I just wanted to feel desirable one last time. I’m living on borrowed time and I refuse to just lie down and die, as you all seem to want me to do. If you can’t stand to see me have this little bit of happiness, go home! I intend to have a little fun tonight.”

With that said, she turned on her heel and went right back to Lyran. I was stunned. Just stunned. I couldn’t just leave her there. She might need me. I went to the bar and ordered a stiff drink. I felt like a parent with an unruly teenager all of a sudden.

Throughout the night, Lyran and Kat were quite that pair. They danced, they ate, they danced some more. I tried to be a little more understanding towards my friend and her desire to live a little but I was looking forward to closing time so I could take her home. Back to where things were controlled.

When the last call was made, I went in search of the two. It was no surprise to find them in each other’s arms, talking. At least they weren’t making out.

On the ride home, I tried to get Kat to talk about Lyran.
“Where is Lyran from? What does he do?”
“He lives 3 streets over from us and he’s a journalist. I gave him our number so that we can talk. I like him a lot Jays.”
“Oh Kat, I know you do but do you think starting a relationship with him is fair to him?”
“I know what you are implying. Why would he want to date a dying woman…but Jays, I told him about my disease and that I only have months to live and he still wants to be around me. He says he wants to spend as much time as possible with me.”
I couldn’t believe it. He knew she was sick, yet he still wanted to be with her? What was he up to?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feedback welcome!

Chapter 9 coming soon.

Page 1 of 2