Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jul 2016 at 12:37 AM
Default Does putting a previously owned community lot in the lot bin corrupt my hood?
I'm working on building a town right now in TS2, but one of the community lots I'm building would look a lot better with a career reward object, and I can't use the community lot's Buy Mode tools to put that object in. I know that there's a download here on MTS that lets me do exactly that, but I really don't want to mess with my TS2 program folder and possibly corrupt my entire game, so I thought I'd go about it by having a Sim buy the community lot and put the career reward object in. However, I do have one question: if that Sim later sells the lot and I put the lot in the lot bin (after the lot is sold, of course; I know that putting an owned community lot in the lot bin will corrupt my hood), would that corrupt my hood? I'm just trying to avoid anything that might cause some corruption. Thanks!

The Darkdusk Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
The Nightmagic Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
Last of Her Kind has ended thanks to a dead computer.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 24th Jul 2016 at 1:12 AM
it is unsafe for the lot bin to have any lot with any kind of sim/character connection; it does cause neighborhood corruption.
and placing such lots in any neighborhood also causes neighborhood corruption; again.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 24th Jul 2016 at 2:06 AM
Depends on whether or not you are willing to risk a little corruption or not. My vote if not is don't do it. Or clean it out, if you know how. Your safest bet is to get the mod from here that enables them in buy mode. If you following proper downloading procedure, you'll be fine. Not sure if anyone ever had CC that corrupted their game, but I haven't heard of any or at least can't think of anything.
Undead Molten Llama
#4 Old 24th Jul 2016 at 2:11 AM
Some people say yes; I kinda-sorta say no. There was another discussion about this topic not long ago, and during it I did a little testing of sorts. The thread is here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=579755 and the relevant discussion begins with post #12 in the thread. Eventually I did a little playing around with placing unoccupied, unplayed lots as well as occupied lots (Don't put an occupied lot in the lot bin in a neighborhood you care about because that WILL cause corruption) and then sticking them into the lot bin and then opening them in SimPE to see what was there. I posted screen shots of the results in post #18 of that thread.

The upshot is that if you do this and you want to be really safe, you can open up the lot from the catalog in SimPE and delete anything that references Sims. (Meaning the things I circled in the screenshots on that other thread.) But honestly? I'm not sure you need to do that since even the Maxis lot bin houses have Sim references in them, and I imagine that most lots you download do, too. (I've certainly never cleaned out references; I assumed they wouldn't HAVE any because I only upload unplayed lots...but apparently that's not the case.) In any case, if the references were really a problem, I think we'd be seeing more reports of corruption from people who haven't done any of the known Very Bad Things, and we just don't see much of that.

You will need to sell any owned community lots back to the community before you bin/package them. But otherwise...? I think you're OK. But as I said, if you want to be extra-sure, open the lot in SimPE and delete any Sim references you see.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Jul 2016 at 12:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WildIrishBanshee
Depends on whether or not you are willing to risk a little corruption or not. My vote if not is don't do it. Or clean it out, if you know how. Your safest bet is to get the mod from here that enables them in buy mode. If you following proper downloading procedure, you'll be fine. Not sure if anyone ever had CC that corrupted their game, but I haven't heard of any or at least can't think of anything.

So what you're saying is that I need to somehow clean the lot after putting the career reward object in? I don't know how to do that, but I'm willing to learn it if it will help.

Quote: Originally posted by iCad
The upshot is that if you do this and you want to be really safe, you can open up the lot from the catalog in SimPE and delete anything that references Sims. (Meaning the things I circled in the screenshots on that other thread.) But honestly? I'm not sure you need to do that since even the Maxis lot bin houses have Sim references in them, and I imagine that most lots you download do, too. (I've certainly never cleaned out references; I assumed they wouldn't HAVE any because I only upload unplayed lots...but apparently that's not the case.) In any case, if the references were really a problem, I think we'd be seeing more reports of corruption from people who haven't done any of the known Very Bad Things, and we just don't see much of that.

You will need to sell any owned community lots back to the community before you bin/package them. But otherwise...? I think you're OK. But as I said, if you want to be extra-sure, open the lot in SimPE and delete any Sim references you see.

Is that how you clean the lot? I'm a bit confused at this point.

Thanks for your answers!

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 24th Jul 2016 at 1:13 PM
You can download career objects, pretty sure it's just a file in my download folder, no messing was done.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Jul 2016 at 1:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
You can download career objects, pretty sure it's just a file in my download folder, no messing was done.

You are right that I could download career objects; however, all the ones that I found on MTS were either a) recolors, b) not compatible with my game (I run the UC), or c) this one, which goes in the Bin folder instead of the Downloads folder. I'm trying to avoid messing with the Bin folder if I can help it, which is why I'm looking into doing it via a Sim and then cleaning the lot.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 24th Jul 2016 at 1:36 PM
Okay, well I do use those so I guess they must be in my bin folder. Nothing dangerous in it. Cleaning your lot is a lot more work. You will need to isolate it in a test hood, open it in SimPE and remove all sim references, You will see where it says SIM.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
Original Poster
#9 Old 24th Jul 2016 at 1:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Okay, well I do use those so I guess they must be in my bin folder. Nothing dangerous in it. Cleaning your lot is a lot more work. You will need to isolate it in a test hood, open it in SimPE and remove all sim references, You will see where it says SIM.

I don't mind more work at all; when it comes to this new town, I'd rather put in more effort and get things right than take the easy way out - and in this case, messing with the Bin folder appears to be the easy way out.

I already have a test hood made, using a completely flat terrain that I made specifically for building and test hoods. I did attach Sim State University to it in order to get the Sim in question to the proper career level more quickly; does that invalidate the test hood?

And finally, once I do get the career object in the community lot and have the Sim in question sell the lot, I just open it in SimPE and delete everything that says SIM? Thanks!

Mad Poster
#10 Old 25th Jul 2016 at 3:36 AM
Oh, that drafting table would be wonderful in my college!

However, I admit being a little apprehensive about downloading any new mods or fixes after the utter disaster I experienced with the Squnge college mods that as far as I know, no one else has experienced (I'm still wondering what other mod or modded object I have isn't playing nicely with the college mods, since almost all of my mods are well-known and recommended in the community, but honestly, it was easier for me to delete the college mods, and I've lost all interest in YAs in my main hood now.)

I might want to back up my Bin file, though, just in case. I just backed up my new game (My Documents), so that should do the trick. I have gone into game files before for valid reasons and survived just fine.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 25th Jul 2016 at 4:04 AM
This isn't new, it simply allows the game to call the items up in the catalog instead of just as a career reward, there is no danger in using it. The only possible danger would be deleting the items out of the catalog in game using that little bin that appears for custom items. Same way as deleting a default hair in game could damage game files, actually placing the file into the bin should be very safe, far safer and better than doing what PSDuckie is doing. I think this is mod fear and not at all what will actually cause corruption. I would be far more nervous of placing a previously owned lot into the bin and would not want to download it either-sorry PSDuckie but I think your fear here is misplaced. A backup is of course always a good thing to do.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#12 Old 25th Jul 2016 at 6:34 AM
Only the patch files have to go in the program files. I used the buyable career rewards in AGS to build LGU, and put them straight into the Downloads folder. And if you read down a little further, it tells uploaders: "It would be better to simply include the buyable objects placed during the lot creation process, but package the lot without the patch files themselves."

Only some of the objects need the patch. You're being paranoid and making things much harder on yourself than they need to be. And the harder you make things, the more likely you are to screw up and make new difficulties.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#13 Old 25th Jul 2016 at 12:31 PM Last edited by gazania : 25th Jul 2016 at 4:43 PM. Reason: Am I giving a sermon here? Editing sorely needed.
Yup. I know I'M paranoid.

I just tested the mod. Backed up the Bin folder and my game, put the files in the Bin folder as directed, then wreaked havoc on my Uni. I put almost every item I would conceivably use on a dorm lot, invited a bunch of dormies to play with all of them, and also put in anything based on these items to check for a jump bug or dropped menu items, such as the candy crafting station from Simwardrobe and the ballet bar from here. I did temporarily disable the camera I got from Aussie Topenders in my Downloads for now because I think it might duplicate the same functions and I might not need it now, and I forgot to have a dormie play with the Maxis camera. I'll have to do it this time. (This might be the same thing with the ballet bar. Fewer downloads are a good thing!)

I know that everyone has probably used this buyable objects mod for years now with no incident, but after my experience with a mod package that's been around longer and that almost everyone has used with no complication except for yours truly, I'm taking no chances this time. Next is to try a few other different scenarios as well, but this one was pretty extensive.

The only problem I had was trying to get the AquaGreen Hydroponic Garden to work. I didn't see any menu items to use it. That might be a minor mod conflict. It works great on a residential lot in the main hood. If that's the only problem with my game config, it's not a huge one. I can live with it. There are no jump bugs. and I rarely use the garden. However, I also had about 15 other items on the same lot! I will try the garden item alone next. (Note: worked just fine.)

Looking at the Bin, I can't see why you can't just get rid of the files in there if you aren't interested once you're out of the game. Sophie-David wrote as such: http://www.modthesims.info/download...=1&goto=newpost . Just don't do it in-game. Keep away from the trash can icon while playing. Seems simple enough!

However, I did delete all the items off the lot. My dormies were starting to get tired there!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Inventor
Original Poster
#14 Old 25th Jul 2016 at 11:19 PM
I get what you're saying: I'm doing it the wrong way. I guess I'll just put the file in my bin folder and do it that way; it would be a lot less work and less chance of corruption.