Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 7402
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 7 (Who?), Viewed: 4911 times.
Search this Thread
Old 17th Oct 2018, 4:42 AM DefaultLonger Dress mesh problem - Any help? :) #1
billielith
Original Poster

Top Secret Researcher

36 Achievements

View My Journal

Hi,

I've been working on clothes for Elders and I have made an update of my old dress for elder females today. I followed the 2nd unimesh tutorial for beginners to elongate my mesh/texture. It was going fine until I made her sit, lol. Forgive the super bright picture, I wanted to make sure the problem was visible. Is there any way to make the longer part follow the fold of the legs instead of looking like some sort of iron cannon like this? She's a gun, lol.

I would appreciate if someone could tell me how I can fix the way the skirt behaves. Thanks!
Screenshots
Click image for larger version

Name:  RobinUpdate_v1_Error1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  709.6 KB  

I know I can't do it, but I'm still going to do it. - M. C. Escher
Last edited by billielith : 18th Oct 2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 17th Oct 2018, 9:26 PM #2
Squidconqueror
Inventor

I'm glad that you're making more good outfits for elders because the outfits that the game have for them are mostly ugly but judging by the picture it looks like that the bones needs some adjusting which I still don't know how to do.
Old 18th Oct 2018, 12:01 AM #3
simmer22
Mad Poster

3 Achievements

You need to adjust the bone/joint assignments. Find a dress in roughly the same length, import it into the workfile (Milkshape), and copy over the bone assignments to your mesh from around the length of the original dress where the problem started and down to the end of the dress. You may have to do it manually, in a vertex by vertex manner. In the Joints tab at the right, just select a vertex of the extra mesh, click "show", select a vertex in roughly the same area on your mesh, and click "assign". I often swich the "draw vertices with bone colors" button on and off to check if any vertices have been missed or if the colors get a weird gradient anywhere (a sign of bad assigning or a left/right switch).

When you're done, remove the extra mesh you imported and save the file.

To test (before putting the mesh ingame), click the "anim" button (I usually do this on a copy of the file, or make sure not to save).
Click the "model" tab, select "rotate", set it to "center of mass" and "local".
Go to the Joints tab, double-click one of the bones. Now you should be able to rotate them (if only the bone rotates, you forgot to click the "anim" button). You'll want to test the calf and thigh, in various positions. Make sure you test a rough sitting pose. and something like a walk/run pose, to see if the skirt moves alright if the legs are apart. There may be some clipping in extreme poses depending on the mesh, but as long as there's no clipping with regular movements, you should be good.

Don't save the animated mesh. If you need to change anything, it's better to either do the changes on the non-animated mesh, or to export the finished result and import it over a skeleton you haven't touched (using the old file would be good, just remember to remove the first dress).
Last edited by simmer22 : 18th Oct 2018 at 6:08 PM.
Old 18th Oct 2018, 12:21 AM #4
billielith
Original Poster

Top Secret Researcher

36 Achievements

View My Journal

Squidconqueror
Thanks for bringing the focus on bones, it's clearly the area where there is a problem indeed.

simmer22
You're quite clever, thank you! I will try the technique you so kindly describe - noob here, lol - and get back to this post to give feedback.

I know I can't do it, but I'm still going to do it. - M. C. Escher
Old 13th Dec 2018, 1:45 PM DefaultThis won't work #5
telefen
Forum Resident

1 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billielith
Squidconqueror
Thanks for bringing the focus on bones, it's clearly the area where there is a problem indeed.

simmer22
You're quite clever, thank you! I will try the technique you so kindly describe - noob here, lol - and get back to this post to give feedback.
Hi billielith: I see in your picture you've elongated the skirt, well no matter what bone assignment it will look odd cause you''ll see the legs sticking out of the back side of the skirt when she's sitting. th bast thing to do is find a maxis skirt of you length choice and cut it out and frankenstein it with the existing top. if you don't find it among elderly meshes maybe athe adult one will do. I found several skirts which might be good for your project. After frankensteining you'll have to check the bone assignment around where the pieces are to be joined and also check the uv before joinining the pieces together so your new texture falls in place correctly. After all that work your elderly will look the way maxis had planned it when sitting down.
Screenshots
Click image for larger version

Name:  below knees.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  54.1 KB  
Old 14th Dec 2018, 10:14 AM #6
simmer22
Mad Poster

3 Achievements

The leg area is usually quite forgiving as long as you put parts with missing geometry in the middle thigh or moiddle calf area, saving the geometry for where the knees and hips bend (for this skirt you probably need two places where the bone assignments are 100% thigh or you may get weird bends when the legs animate). Some UVmapping may be needed to properly fix those areas, too.

I do recommend testing the bone assignments by turning on ANIM mode and rotate the legs (local rotation) to a sitting position to see if they animate properly. Don't save after, though.

Frankensteining meshes may be an option - but if done properly you can fix the mesh without adding a lot more geometry to it.
Old 14th Dec 2018, 5:28 PM #7
telefen
Forum Resident

1 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
The leg area is usually quite forgiving as long as you put parts with missing geometry in the middle thigh or moiddle calf area, saving the geometry for where the knees and hips bend (for this skirt you probably need two places where the bone assignments are 100% thigh or you may get weird bends when the legs animate). Some UVmapping may be needed to properly fix those areas, too.

I do recommend testing the bone assignments by turning on ANIM mode and rotate the legs (local rotation) to a sitting position to see if they animate properly. Don't save after, though.

Frankensteining meshes may be an option - but if done properly you can fix the mesh without adding a lot more geometry to it.
I usually animate my projects after bone assignments but I have experienced that what you see in your animation is not exactly what you see in game, as it is not the same animation as what maxis uses but for most part , it helps to test it out in milkshape.
Old 14th Dec 2018, 7:20 PM #8
Julie J
Field Researcher

19 Achievements

I convert either a nude mesh or a similar dress as a .wso file in Milkshape and use it as a reference mesh and use cmar's MeshTool Kit to assign the bones.

Section jump: