Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 9:59 PM
Default Paradise Isle
Background
Paradise Isle is a defunct Isle in the Blonel archipelago chain that was used by the military in the 50's. It is home to an indigenous tribe called the Charvarti's. Once the military decommissioned the isle some of the military opted to stay and integrate into the tribe rather than returning to the mainland. It's geographically noted for its rocky coastline and dense beach foliage as well as the volcano on the northeastern backside of the isle. There's only one area low enough to be called a port and it's the only access point on or off the island. The western and northwestern slopes are where the Charvarti tribe have their huts as it's more sheltered from the elements. A major superstorm hurricane as well as several other major ones through the years have wiped out most of the freestanding military structures and what was left was claimed by the Charvarti for use in their own huts and structures.

Present
Locals reported during the last storm, a yacht lost control during the storm and ran aground near the port. The burnt out shell was confirmed to be that belonging to disgraced businessman Saito Thornbane.

He was found a few days later passed out among the rocks near the crash site. Locals are now helping him to rehabilitate himself onto the island and have given him a large plot of land near the coast.
Advertisement
Link Ninja
#2 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 10:15 PM
Interesting opener to a neighborhood story! So we'll know at somepoint why he is a disgraced businessman I hope? Did you make the terrain map yourself?

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 10:28 PM
Paradise Isle is going to be a BACC/Legacy type hood, so not a big story thing like All My Plumbobs. I needed a background for how he got there and why I was still going to have townies running around because I didn't do a empty hood template. Figured this made the most sense setup wise.

The map is actually one of Stephsims http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=373905. I'd forgotten how cathartic neighborhood decorating could be.

I want to play this one by wants/fears so having intricate back stories right now (there are 3 other "founders" on the way) kinda paints me into corners I don't feel necessary at the moment. I wanna see how Saito plays out before I make a character defining moment of whether it was his fault or not he was deemed disgraced.

BTW charmful, your Battle of the Bands and Nest of Viper stories were a huge inspiration for me resurrecting All My Plumbbobs. I love your stories and hood style.
Link Ninja
#4 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 10:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SingleClawDesigns
Paradise Isle is going to be a BACC/Legacy type hood, so not a big story thing like All My Plumbobs. I needed a background for how he got there and why I was still going to have townies running around because I didn't do a empty hood template. Figured this made the most sense setup wise.

The map is actually one of Stephsims http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=373905. I'd forgotten how cathartic neighborhood decorating could be.

I want to play this one by wants/fears so having intricate back stories right now (there are 3 other "founders" on the way) kinda paints me into corners I don't feel necessary at the moment. I wanna see how Saito plays out before I make a character defining moment of whether it was his fault or not he was deemed disgraced.

BTW charmful, your Battle of the Bands and Nest of Viper stories were a huge inspiration for me resurrecting All My Plumbbobs. I love your stories and hood style.

That's understandable to not want to weave an intricate story right off the bat but give enough vagueness you can fill it in later. I've never done a BACC challenge or any challenge for that matter. Thank you so much for reading my stories! It's always nice to hear they are appreciated and the power of inspiration is great! And playing sims can be the biggest source of a narrative inspiration too!

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 11:25 PM

Oh my the background story is interesting so far. I quite looking forward to seeing what you are going to do with it.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Jun 2017 at 5:31 PM
Well I have no AL townies. I kept wondering why I had so few walkby's and those that did were just the Pleasantview townies. So I went to the teleporter to see who was all in the townie pool and sure enough I have no Al social class townies. So somewhere something bugged out between my switch of regular and clean templates. Also noticed that the strays were not there either (only had 1 cat in the strays on the teleporter) so because I don't know exactly what's wrong with the templates, or which ones are borked to start with, and the fact that swapping out templates would reset sims I've already had made friends with and such I'm kinda forced to do a disc reinstall to be on the safe side. I was already playing around with more neighborhood deco so not to concerned with getting it looking exactly the same really (found a version of the wreck without rocks so had swapped that out and put it closer to the actual beach lot.

So today is looking like a bust having to spend a good few hours with the reinstall. Should just cave and get the ultimate collection, but Origin has decided my comp isnt good enough to buy games because it's Vista and i don't want to have to deal with the crap of win 10 and sims 2 for the laptop.
Instructor
#7 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 5:01 PM
I'm already loving paradise isle! The setup and story is so intriguing. I enjoyed your Pleasantview hood quite a bit, so I can't wait to read more ! I can understand how frustrating it can be to reinstall-especially with origin .

What's going on in your game group here: http://www.modthesims.info/forumdis...546&groupid=906
Check it out ;)
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 9:44 PM
Well I have no AL townies. I kept wondering why I had so few walkby's and those that did were just the Pleasantview townies. So I went to the teleporter to see who was all in the townie pool and sure enough I have no Al social class townies. So somewhere something bugged out between my switch of regular and clean templates. Also noticed that the strays were not there either (only had 1 cat in the strays on the teleporter) so because I don't know exactly what's wrong with the templates, or which ones are borked to start with, and the fact that swapping out templates would reset sims I've already had made friends with and such I'm kinda forced to do a disc reinstall to be on the safe side. I was already playing around with more neighborhood deco so not to concerned with getting it looking exactly the same really (found a version of the wreck without rocks so had swapped that out and put it closer to the actual beach lot.

So today is looking like a bust having to spend a good few hours with the reinstall. Should just cave and get the ultimate collection, but Origin has decided my comp isnt good enough to buy games because it's Vista and i don't want to have to deal with the crap of win 10 and sims 2 for the laptop.

Could you get Windows 7 or 8?

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 10:49 PM
You can't even get the UC anymore, found that out when i went om the laptop to go purchase it on origin. A reinstall doesn't take that long. Well shouldn't, but my fun with pets cd was being a lil piece of work and refusing to install. Managed to get it through though. so that was yesterday finally around 9pm

Got waylaid today though in thinking that I wanted the native clothing to be re-categorized since some of them seemed more appropriate but wrong category. Which made me rethink if I wanted a true native island or something that gets steamrolled with progress.

Fun lil factoid all the recolors of the clothing are packed into single package files. Couldn't figure out why Wrangler wasn't doing all of them till I opened up
Afnativecasual in SimPE and discovered that all the recolors are packed into 1 file (and we're talking like 23 different files and 3 different outfits. Ok, so I can re-categorize in SimPE no big deal. except it turned my skintone black and splotchy on clothing that wasn't even remotely close to it. Like the AL clothing?!? SO then decided to painstakingly export each one in bodyshop and re-import so they would be custom. Nope some reverted to other textures after re-importing. And I wont even get into the headbanging I did trying to figure out how to separate the meshes so each could be packaged separately because it looks like they're all thrown together too.

So in a fit of rage i spent about an hour and a half saying screw it and binge downloaded Skell's repository project and i mean EVERYTHING afterwards i got disgusted with myself (and my service provider is probably wondering if i've been hacked or something) and went and watched the new Power Rangers movie.

So i'll probably restart tomorrow morning on this and let the rest of the day go by with me thinking of how I want to approach this. I had put aside N001(All My Plumbbobs) to see what was up with that and it was pretty much un-savable as well. Still don't know where the wires crossed on the templates to make such a mess, but pretty sure i'm just going to stay with the installed ones that came with the game from now on.
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 11:25 PM
You can't even get the UC anymore, found that out when i went om the laptop to go purchase it on origin. A reinstall doesn't take that long. Well shouldn't, but my fun with pets cd was being a lil piece of work and refusing to install. Managed to get it through though. so that was yesterday finally around 9pm

Got waylaid today though in thinking that I wanted the native clothing to be re-categorized since some of them seemed more appropriate but wrong category. Which made me rethink if I wanted a true native island or something that gets steamrolled with progress.

Fun lil factoid all the recolors of the clothing are packed into single package files. Couldn't figure out why Wrangler wasn't doing all of them till I opened up
Afnativecasual in SimPE and discovered that all the recolors are packed into 1 file (and we're talking like 23 different files and 3 different outfits. Ok, so I can re-categorize in SimPE no big deal. except it turned my skintone black and splotchy on clothing that wasn't even remotely close to it. Like the AL clothing?!? SO then decided to painstakingly export each one in bodyshop and re-import so they would be custom. Nope some reverted to other textures after re-importing. And I wont even get into the headbanging I did trying to figure out how to separate the meshes so each could be packaged separately because it looks like they're all thrown together too.

So in a fit of rage i spent about an hour and a half saying screw it and binge downloaded Skell's repository project and i mean EVERYTHING afterwards i got disgusted with myself (and my service provider is probably wondering if i've been hacked or something) and went and watched the new Power Rangers movie.

So i'll probably restart tomorrow morning on this and let the rest of the day go by with me thinking of how I want to approach this. I had put aside N001(All My Plumbbobs) to see what was up with that and it was pretty much un-savable as well. Still don't know where the wires crossed on the templates to make such a mess, but pretty sure i'm just going to stay with the installed ones that came with the game from now on.

Ughh sounds like a lot of Work. If You can't get the UC it won't make a difference that I found Windows 7 and Windows 8 on Amazon.

I have never used anything except the default templates, you might want to try cleaned templates to avoid the coruption in the default ones, but if you do make sure to keep a back up of your original templates and if I was doing it I would make a back up of my complete game install and put it on a flash drive or other external disk.

I am not sure that you can do a complete reinstall from a back up, but I can do it on my Mac no problem.

I had to start over more than once because I messed up my saved game, and I did reinstall once. That was before I started doing much better at backing up though.

Anyway I hope that it goes well for you and that you get your game back close to where you were.

Forum Resident
#11 Old 1st Jul 2017 at 12:42 AM
Oh, I love your story premise! I'm looking forward to reading more, more, more!
And I really like the tattered shirt and ship -- both different than what I have. I'm pretty sure my ship is basic Maxis. Supposed to be a pirate ship.

I totally get this. You want to plan it, but not plan it enough to share, but not so much that it ceases to be fun.

I didn't think about the future of my story when I posted the first chapter of my Povertyville story. As I got ready to post chapter two, I realized that telling a story here will change how I play. I can use my imagination, but I need it to be somewhat sensible as I tell the story. Also, I don't want the photos giving away too much (stop signs in the background, appliances, etc.) For instance, Sims can't actually cook their fish over an open fire, so I had to give them a fire pit AND a camping stove (which I've tucked way off to the side). And since they will be separate households, they'll need non-existent phones to make non-existent phone calls -- otherwise they won't know how to leave their lot to visit one another.

BTW, I'm kind of rooting for him to be disgraced because he was set up and is now running for his life. (Ever read "The Firm" by John Grisham?)

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 1st Jul 2017 at 12:57 AM
"I have never used anything except the default templates, you might want to try cleaned templates to avoid the coruption in the default ones, but if you do make sure to keep a back up of your original templates and if I was doing it I would make a back up of my complete game install and put it on a flash drive or other external disk."

Yea see I was using cleaned templates, then i switched back over to the regular back up templates and something must not have overwritten correctly.