Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Dec 2008 at 8:56 AM
Default Spikey graphics (sorry about the novel)
Hi guys I'm asking for ideas on what else I can try before our computer store comes back from holidays.

Some weeks ago my graphics card died (nVidia 5200 128mg) so computer went to the shop; a week later they said the card was fried but still under warranty but I would have to wait for a replacement. So they reinstalled the onboard graphics and I picked up the Computer. I had already decided to upgrade so took the computer to another store bought the card I wanted (nVidia7600GT 256mg) they Installed it in 15min and everything seemed fine. Two weeks later I worked out how to reinstall spore creature creater for my son (long story) and he happily sat down to play and the graphics went nuts; Big spikes exploding all over the place! It does it in the sims2 as well on certain clothes.

This is what I've tried so far:-
-Google, google and more Google!
-Uninstalling and reinstalling graphics drivers
-Updating graphics drivers
-Uninstalling and reinstalling DirectX
-Doubled checked the power supply (500watts) and rearranged cables so the Graphics wasn't piggy backing anything else
-Uninstalling and reinstalling The Sims2 and Creature Creature
-Fiddled repeatedly with card settings.

Oh I have all EP's and all SP's. I've found I can play with TS2,Seasons,FT and M&G with all the graphics at their lowest and no CC. But SporeCC still goes nuts.

Any ideas on things I could do? The store that built the computer won't reopen until the 12th Jan.

Should I uninstall The card? will I damage it by continuing to use it?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 29th Dec 2008 at 10:04 AM
I had a similar problem with graphics card until I found out it didn't support shaders. Try opening the cheat window and typing in boolProp useShaders false and see if that helps. If it does you can add it to your startup.cheat. If it doesn't maybe someone else can help you
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Dec 2008 at 11:59 AM
Turning off shaders didn't help, thanks romyhorse. My daughters boyfriend (an Apple Tech) suggested the AGP slot in the motherboard maybe damaged but I have no way of checking it same with the card I don't have another machine I could try it in.
shiny!
retired moderator
#4 Old 29th Dec 2008 at 2:10 PM
You could be underpowering the card. 500w shouldn't be having problems but going from a 5200 to a 7600gt is a huge jump in power, and if your psu isn't working up to snuff it can cause things like this. Your computer is obviously older and over time things like the power supply wear down. Do you have another power supply you can try?

Another possibility is overheating. Have you checked temps? I use this program: http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php Leave it running while you play your games because it will automatically record the maximum temperature reached. Ideally you want to play at least 20-30minutes to get an accurate idea. You card will start off much cooler than it will record in peak game play after a prolonged period. Screencap and post back results.

Also did you uninstall the onboard drivers (or the 5200 for that matter..those would be other nvidia drivers) before installing the 7600gt? Also sometimes you have to disable onboard graphics in bios. I would check to see if there is an option for that and do so if you have not. Try a clean install of drivers. Meaning, uninstall them totally from the add/remove programs. Restart your computer. Run this: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745 Restart again. Now get the latest drivers from here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us Also nab the latest directx, assuming you're still using XP.. which you better with that old of a system: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&DisplayLang=en Btw you can't uninstall directx.. at least not through any Windows based means.. There are external programs for this but sometimes they mess things up.. what do you mean when you say you uninstalled directx? Not something I normally recommend.

Sometimes if a card tried in the slot it can damage the slot. Usually all it needs is a good cleaning. Using a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol, thoroughly clean the gold contacts on both the card and the slot. I've also heard using a rubber eraser works nicely, but that's not something I've experimented with.. you don't want to leave little rubber crumbles all over the place for sure. The fact that your card worked fine for 2 weeks before having this problem doesn't lead me to believe your slot is the cause.

The fact that things started out okay and took weeks before they became a problem may indicate a problem with the actual card wearing out, be it due to the overheating that we're checking or simply just a lemon. The fact that things are okay on lower settings but become worse once more strain is applied could also indicate this (could also point to psu though). I recommend returning the card and getting a new one if all this fails.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Dec 2008 at 10:33 PM
Thanks callistra, I meant I'd downloaded DirectX and overwrote the files because I'd read they can become corrupted. The Tech at the shop would have uninstalled the old card but I'll double check with a registry cleaning program. I'll check the Temps today; the computer is only 3 years old but was never built for gaming (who knew I would become so addicted to this little thing called Sim) and it was older technology and not very upgradable. Hubby said if it's the motherboard we might as well buy a new one ; ). I'll clean the slot and check the ram too.
shiny!
retired moderator
#6 Old 29th Dec 2008 at 11:48 PM
Well since a new motherboard is going to require you to replace the 7600gt you might as well check to see if that's the cause first. All modern boards have PCI Express ports. Nvidia 5200 never came in a PCI Express so that means your 7600gt must not be PCI express either. It will also prob require a new cpu and ram as well. But hey not that I'd ever knock a new build.. just so you know it's prob not as simple as just replacing the mobo.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Dec 2008 at 1:39 AM
callistra - sorry I mean he said we might as well buy a new computer! Here are the temp readings

After 1/2 hr
GeForce 7600 GT hardware monitor
Temperature sensor 0 52°C (125°F) [0x34] (GPU Core)

After 2 hr
GeForce 7600 GT hardware monitor
Temperature sensor 0 54°C (129°F) [0x36] (GPU Core)

Sorry I've never worked out how to do screenshots

romyhorse - apologies Turn off the shaders did work when the spikes came back but I still have lots of other graphics problems.
shiny!
retired moderator
#8 Old 30th Dec 2008 at 1:42 AM
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Jan 2009 at 10:53 AM
Well I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers AGAIN! Checked the RAM that didn't make any difference. I did find some old drivers I think from my old TV card. and I fiddled with settings The graphics have improved somewhat but are still showing patches of screwy graphics in walls and items.
I think I've done all I can for now and I still can't tell if it's The card or the motherboard. The replacement for the 5200 will be here in a bit over a week and I will try that and post the results. Thank you all for reading and helping.

More: It seems to get progressively worse. I just shutdown Castaway stories my son was playing and the desktop was cover in a grid of blue squares so I closed the computer down (I'm on his Computer now) I'm at a loss I guess I'll have to get the Shops to deal with it.
Scholar
#10 Old 1st Jan 2009 at 11:02 AM
To take screenshots, you will see a button on your keyboard with Prnt Scrn on it, press that (depending on your keyboard you might have to click shift-Prnt Scrn or Fn-Prnt Scrn) then open a picture editing program (Paint, Photoshop, Gimp etc) and open a new file and Paste your screenshot.
shiny!
retired moderator
#11 Old 1st Jan 2009 at 4:52 PM
If nothing else I'm leaning even more heaviliy towards it being the gpu. This is definitely indicative of a progressively dying graphics card. While artifacts CAN be caused by problems with connection to the mobo (ie the slot fried) the fact that it's progressive now doesn't lead me to believe that.. the mobo would have had the damage done and that's it. Bad card's gone so it wouldn't likely continue to be be damaged further. The fact that's it's getting worse means the most likely cause if the graphics card. Progressive could also be PSU though.. Aaand at this point I'm just talking in circles LOL

Until you get this fixed stop gaming. If it's the PSU you could end up frying your entire computer, and the GPU could also possibly do some additional damage.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 11th Feb 2009 at 1:29 PM
Hi guys just thought I'd let you know it was the Graphics Card. It's been sent back this week and I'm waiting for a replacement. I'm STILL waiting for the replacement for the original card!!! I've had to uninstall almost everything so I can play using onboard graphics and that sucks! the discs sit there unplayed and mocking me.
The upside is that I am much more confident now poking around inside my computer. Thank you all again I love these forums.
Romyhorse I successful used print screen for the first time and thought of you Thanks