Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Aug 2007 at 12:19 PM
Does Anyone know...
Where I can find some good tutorials for making complete custom skins. I checked out HP's making realistic faces from photos tutorial which was helpful but now I need help with the rest of the body So if anyone can spare a link I would be grateful. I'm just learning how to use photoshop and it has been quite frustrating so I need all the help I can get. P.S. I hope its ok to post this here.
Advertisement
Knitting fiend
retired moderator
#2 Old 11th Aug 2007 at 12:58 PM
I think I've seen one while surfing for something else and it was by OEPU. I did a few quick searches to see if I could bump into them again and I didn't. You might try googling "creating skin textures". Also look up Enayla here she's got some really good tutes for photoshop on her website. She actually teaches photoshop I believe.

There are some really good skin texture brushes for photoshop if you look around. I can't for the life of me remember which one HP told me about now and I lost it when I reinstalled Photoshop. She'll probably see this eventually and have some ideas for you too. Or someone else may have some ideas. Lots of people on on weekends.

"Evil genius is still genius." Asura NPC GW2
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#3 Old 11th Aug 2007 at 1:17 PM
Body skins are done pretty much the same as my face tutorial, if you're going the photoskinning route... you just need a lot more good pics, and it takes forever. There really aren't any shortcuts besides opening the base Maxis textures in Photoshop and then just layering on top, handpainting, blending, blending, blending. Test, adjust, test, adjust. It took me a year to make my skintone from scratch with a photoskinned base and it's still not perfect. I strongly suggest you first master other Body Shop projects first, especially recolouring clothing (you'll probably end up exporting uv maps, matching seams, and having to create or adjust new pieces of texture - all helpful to know) and more importantly, get really comfortable in Photoshop.

I say this not to discourage you but so you understand what you're getting into: besides hair meshing, making detailed skintones is the hardest sims 2 modding project I have ever done, and in terms of endurance, it is the hardest. If you just want to add a few details here and there, it's not so bad, but if you're truly talking about a fully retextured skin... it is not so much a project but a marathon.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 12th Aug 2007 at 2:12 AM
Thanks JLonier and HP I guess I should have known it wouldn't be that easy. But I'm gonna give it my best shot. And you didn't discourage me at all HP it actually pumped me up lol. Thanks guys!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#5 Old 12th Aug 2007 at 8:32 AM
Good, good, I'm glad you're gonna still do it... It may be a giant pain to do and take forever, but I can't tell you how incredibly rewarding it is to see sims (including all my townies) wearing my skin. Good luck!

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.