Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 3:18 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage
Default Super Collection won't launch! :(
Hey all! I've had the Super Collection from the App store on my mac pro for about 2 years, played with CC/mods etc and never had any problem until a few days ago when I noticed in CAS my sims kept appearing with a face colour different to their skin tone (i.e. S1 body, S3 face). I removed all my mods and CC and this did not solve the problem. I decided after this to uninstall/reinstall, and now the program will not open at all. When I click the "play" button on the first window that comes up, it simply just closes itself down and i get a "quit unexpectedly" error message. I've already lost all of my saved families trying to wipe the program and start fresh, but this is really frustrating for me as I have no idea how to fix it. I've tried contacting Aspyr to see if this is something to do with the High Sierra OS, but this has been a couple of days and nothing so far! Any ideas?!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 4:35 PM
Let's just get the obvious out of the way first:

1: Have you tried deleting the cache files? (not sure if they appear in the Mac version, but they can cause the game not to open on a PC).
2: There should be a "fix game" button somewhere in the app (there is in Origin, anyway). Have you tried this?
Field Researcher
#3 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 7:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by niceemma
Hey all! I've had the Super Collection from the App store on my mac pro for about 2 years, played with CC/mods etc and never had any problem until a few days ago when I noticed in CAS my sims kept appearing with a face colour different to their skin tone (i.e. S1 body, S3 face). I removed all my mods and CC and this did not solve the problem. I decided after this to uninstall/reinstall, and now the program will not open at all. When I click the "play" button on the first window that comes up, it simply just closes itself down and i get a "quit unexpectedly" error message. I've already lost all of my saved families trying to wipe the program and start fresh, but this is really frustrating for me as I have no idea how to fix it. I've tried contacting Aspyr to see if this is something to do with the High Sierra OS, but this has been a couple of days and nothing so far! Any ideas?!

First of all, don't panic. It can take Aspyr a few days to get to your support call in the queue. If you don't hear from them in a few more days, do a follow up.

In the meantime, how did you uninstall and reinstall? Did you just drag the game from Applications to the Trash and then re-download it from the Mac App Store? Or did you delete the user files as well? If you haven't cleared out everything, you might have half the CEP still lying around in that location, or other mods/content that expects an edited version of the Super Collection .app, and that could cause a crash. As could any old .plists that are hanging around.

I would suggest that you delete ~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore and everything underneath it (after making a copy of it somewhere else, in case there's still old CC and neighbourhoods you can salvage once the game is running again). Then launch the game again, and it should generate a new ~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore directory for you.

If that runs without crashing, great. If not, you could try creating a new account on your Mac and logging on as that, then running the game from there. That would eliminate the possibility of it being old user files lurking about and causing the crash. If it still crashes, then you might have a corrupt download, and need to clean up all over again and redownload a second time.

As for the original issue, I've not seen it myself, but it might be related to the Mac file limit. How much custom content do you have, and did you have default replacements for the skins? If the game wasn't able to load all the files, it might have missed out some of your defaults. If you've still got your old neighbourhood and CC files (or can restore them from Time Machine), you could try removing all but the one neighbourhood that you want to play, and see if that reduces the file count enough to stop the issue. If it does, then you either need to reduce your file count (not size, but number of files loaded), or apply the file limit fixes.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 22nd Nov 2017 at 12:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by muridae
First of all, don't panic. It can take Aspyr a few days to get to your support call in the queue. If you don't hear from them in a few more days, do a follow up.

In the meantime, how did you uninstall and reinstall? Did you just drag the game from Applications to the Trash and then re-download it from the Mac App Store? Or did you delete the user files as well? If you haven't cleared out everything, you might have half the CEP still lying around in that location, or other mods/content that expects an edited version of the Super Collection .app, and that could cause a crash. As could any old .plists that are hanging around.

I would suggest that you delete ~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore and everything underneath it (after making a copy of it somewhere else, in case there's still old CC and neighbourhoods you can salvage once the game is running again). Then launch the game again, and it should generate a new ~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore directory for you.

If that runs without crashing, great. If not, you could try creating a new account on your Mac and logging on as that, then running the game from there. That would eliminate the possibility of it being old user files lurking about and causing the crash. If it still crashes, then you might have a corrupt download, and need to clean up all over again and redownload a second time.

As for the original issue, I've not seen it myself, but it might be related to the Mac file limit. How much custom content do you have, and did you have default replacements for the skins? If the game wasn't able to load all the files, it might have missed out some of your defaults. If you've still got your old neighbourhood and CC files (or can restore them from Time Machine), you could try removing all but the one neighbourhood that you want to play, and see if that reduces the file count enough to stop the issue. If it does, then you either need to reduce your file count (not size, but number of files loaded), or apply the file limit fixes.

This is good advice.

This is my post on InSimenator explaining what happens when you exceed the Mac Open File Limit The List of Symptoms when you exceed the Limit

If you think that Exceeding the Open File Limit might be the problem, this is my post on InSimenator that you need The Fix Page.

I had the same sort of Problem and then I applied the Fix that raises the Open File limit to a much higher number and I have not had any particular problems since. So I posted the pages I linked to in order to help other Mac using Sims 2 players out there. I hope this helps. If you have questions about the Fix feel free to PM me.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 3:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by muridae

THANK YOU !!!! I have had this problem for days no solution but I deleted the containers files and it works perfectly!!! :D