Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Oct 2006 at 6:42 PM
Default Faulty Fence
I followed the tutorial in SimPE to make a mock 'recolor' of a fence. I only wanted it a different color not style so I cloned it like I was supposed to, and recolored it like it said. I have tried a few other recolors and they work great but this fence....Shes a bugger and has my hair going grey! Its my first clone to, so I profess my noobiness with this.

The problem...it wont delete! The whole CTRL click action doesnt work. Its not the game(or me thank the gods) cause it works fine on other fences/walls/ect...but this fence, it wont leave unless I use undo and thats not acceptable.

I'm on the verge of deleting and starting again with it but before I do I thought I would toss this to you guys, specially since there is little to no info on making new fences out there and I cant possible be the only one with sticky objects that wont leave when you tell them to! So could someone please thump me on the noggen and tell me what I'm missing?

Thanks in advance guys
Attached files:
File Type: rar  GulcherFenceRecolorBlueCTFlames.rar (112.1 KB, 16 downloads)

To those who DL my creations and give thanks they are much appreciated. Please feel free to use any of my creations however you like. If you can improve upon them then feel free to. Now quit reading my siggy and go sim! *wink*
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 16th Oct 2006 at 9:47 PM
After a quick look through your file, I found one strange thing!
If you look at the Fence XML file and check the line which says
guid(dtUInteger)=0x00000000
This could be the problem, as far as I know fences must have a unique guid, however if you cloned objects before, you can reuse guids from your objects since objects & fences don't mind sharing a guid!
If you haven't cloned anything before then you should go here and register yourself in the guid database to obtain a unique guid:

http://sims.ambertation.de/en/guiddb/
(This is to avoid people from using the same guids)

Hope this helps

Life's a game, so let's play!
The ModFather
retired moderator
#3 Old 16th Oct 2006 at 11:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frillen
If you look at the Fence XML file and check the line which says
guid(dtUInteger)=0x00000000
If you haven't cloned anything before then you should go here and register yourself in the guid database

SimPE, when cloning a fence, will assign an automatic random GUID to the clone; this random GUID has great chances to be unique, so we discourages to register a new "object" GUID for fences and such.
Re-using old object GUID is the best choice, but if chasingtheflames is not registered in the GUID database, there's no need to do it now.

What is really strange it that value of 0x00000000 in the GUID: as said, SimPE should fill that field automatically.
You can either re-clone the fence, or use the "Hash Generator" (in Tools -> Object tools): with your fence loaded in SimPE, open the Hash Generator and click on "CRC32"; then copy the bottom field ("Hash", the field with a gray beckground) and paste it in the GUID field of your XML.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 17th Oct 2006 at 12:46 AM
Thanks numenor, you're absolutely right there's no need to register for a new guid if he isn't registered - The chance of 2 colliding fences aren't that big!

Wouldn't it be enough just to do a fix integrity, save & reload to get a random guid?
As I recall this should also provide the fence with a new random guid!

Life's a game, so let's play!
The ModFather
retired moderator
#5 Old 17th Oct 2006 at 8:31 AM
You're perfectly right! Performing a Fix Integrity fixes the GUID, too; thanks for having reminded me -

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Oct 2006 at 3:54 PM
Thats weird, I didnt even notice that the guid had changed! Grr... I have my own set of guids so I had given it a new guid, well sorta new...I used the making new object tutorial so I went ahead and used the same guid from the table I made with that tutorial since I didnt plan on using the table anyway for this fence since I read fences dont conflict object numbers...now it worked before at one point. Then I edited the color again cause I had it a bit off and from that point it stopped working so I must of done something wrong when I was 'fixing' it.

Is it possible (cause now not knowing what I did will make me nutty) that my mouse hit 'fix integ' and that reset the guid? If I'm understanding fix integ as your saying it then it would reassign a new value. My mouse seems to click on its own sometimes here lately specially with SimPE cause it chews up my ram badly and everything freezes while its refreshing the ram. Is it possible that is what happened?

I figured it was something silly like this, Thanks for your help guys you are just wonderful! Now I will throw it away and start over with a clean slate just to be sure everything is where it should be and definatly check my numbers before I move on.

To those who DL my creations and give thanks they are much appreciated. Please feel free to use any of my creations however you like. If you can improve upon them then feel free to. Now quit reading my siggy and go sim! *wink*
The ModFather
retired moderator
#7 Old 18th Oct 2006 at 1:28 AM
Every time you (or your mouse ) do a "Fix Integrity", the GUID changes; but this shouldn't stop your fence to work. Every GUID calculated by the Fix Integrity is good for your fence (your own GUID is better, but the automatic one isn't "wrong" anyway).
So, the cause must be another one...

Exactly, what you mean "stopped working"? It's not shown any more in the catalog or it's invisible in game?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th Oct 2006 at 3:11 PM
The fence didnt erase. You could see it, put gates on it and lights and whatnot, even use Undo on it, but you couldnt hold ctrl and erase it if you wanted to remove it later. Undo was the only way to get it off. So once you had left the game and come back there was no way to remove the fence you laid out. It was in the catalog and visable at all times, worked diagonally too. It just didnt erase, like the post holes were dug to deep to get them back out! :D

I figured I would give it one try at changing the guid back to what I had, if that didnt work I was gonna reclone and assign a new number all to itself. I went back and put the guid back to what I had originaly given it (0x00285b00 one of my own numbers). With the right guid on it, it erases again and works fine. I didnt change anything but the guid, commit, save, and exit...and it works perfectly. I also went alot slower this time and made sure I looked at the guid after each step. Yes I know thats insanely over done but I didnt want to come back with the problem still at large.

I'm an addict so I have all EPs and SPs and the newest updates of SimPE to cover glamour as well. I cant see that its anything but THAT guid that caused the problem... maybe cause it has no value whatsoever, or maxis is using it and no one knows yet, I just dunno creation well enough to be of help in that area. I didnt use fix integ to give it an id but I'm sure it does give safe ones, I probably just got that one unlucky one or did something somewhere else all together different, I am not sure at this point. I couldnt of done to much wrong cause I followed step by step out of fear of 'breaking' it hehe. I havnt gotten the courage yet to go poking and prodding where I dont belong in SimPE yet. I do have alot of windkeepers fences installed, as well as a couple other peoples, if thats any help. I would think if it had the same guid as the other fences tho I would lose one of the fences or at least have one of those invisable spots.

I didnt see a problem with SimPE though if thats the concern. SimPE has worked fabulously for me so far and I've made/recolored over a dozen items learning different things. The only problem I have with SimPE is my lack of ram which has nothing to do with the program itself, thats what I get for running a Dinosaur hehe

I assigned the fence my own number cause I dont intend to make that many objects and that seemed the most assured way of knowing the guid would never be reused and cause conflict later on down the road. With new stuff coming out as quick as is it and the rate people make stuff I wanted the safest means.

I'm really grateful for your help getting it working again, I was ready to toss creation out the window and stick with downloading. If you would like me to test the fix integrity on this fence just to make sure thats not what went wrong just let me know.

Thanks again hun!
Chase

Field Researcher
#9 Old 18th Oct 2006 at 9:15 PM
I had this exact problem recently. I noticed that the GUID had some how become 0x00000000 - which was odd because I had definitely assigned it a GUID from one of my own objects. So I pasted that value in again but when I hit commit it went back to 0 again!
I did it over and over a few times with the same result. Eventually I got it to retain my GUID and then the fence worked fine in the game and allowed itself to be removed in the normal way.
Unfortunately I don't remember exactly what I did to make it commit with the new GUID, but it definitely wouldn't work in the straight forward normal way. I assumed it was some sort of SimPE glitch. I meant to post it over at Quaxi's, but I forgot.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 1:34 PM
Hmm..well this is something either the creator or the software is doing and I think in my case I will go ahead and blame myself because I had made a whole set of recolors (door/windows/stairs/ect) and that fence was edited twice so it was probably was at my hand. After a few minutes of SimPE my mouse gets really dragy cause of my lack (I guess thats why) of ram and weird things happen. At least for now, SimPE has never given me reason to think it didnt work right(after months of use off and on), however if it becomes a more frequent thing then it should be addressed.

But it is something future and new creators should make a note of...if your object isnt working look there firstly..make sure to recheck everything before closing the object file...even things you havent changed in awhile, and dont be afraid to ask! Oh yes and "Assuming you KNOW isnt always a good idea". *wink*

Happy Crafting!

Field Researcher
#11 Old 22nd Oct 2006 at 8:48 PM
Yeah my first thought when anything goes wrong is always that it is my own lack of expertise or attention. But this was odd, because I had made several fences in the past with no trouble and indeed several that day. And it was definitely changing the number in the text box when I hit commit. And that reminded me of the early days when just about every new verion of SimPE had some new weird problem with one or two objects.