Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th May 2012 at 4:20 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, Nightlife, Pets
Default Saved game with sim on phone, game crashing
Hiya

Just went to play with one of my new families and realised I had saved with a sim on the phone. Has this corrupted my neighbourhood? Or is it only when installing hacks or a new expansion pack?

My game does keep crashing, in the middle of playing, seemingly for no reason, just now it was after I bought pet collars and went to tell another sim a joke, but it happens in any situation, often when the sim is at home doing normal stuff, normally after a few hours on the computer.

If my neighbourhood is corrupted, will going back to an earlier save (before I made the sim who is on the phone) solve the problem?

Thankyou x
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th May 2012 at 10:54 AM
Crashing isn't normally a sign of corruption, so it sounds like you're ok on that front. The crashing is more likely to be caused by CC, or by your computer not being strong enough to play with all your EPs

To find out whether it's caused by CC: Game Help:Game problemwiki
To find out whether it's caused by your computer: Game Help:System Specswiki

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#3 Old 7th May 2012 at 1:17 PM
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th May 2012 at 2:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Try the cellphone reset from Pescado:
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...hp?topic=4101.5

Thankyou, but is that just for mobiles? My sim was on the landline.

Also, the lot isn't crashing on loading, the game just crashes ie. there's a 'ding', everything freezes, I have to press the windows key, and there's a dialog box saying "The application has crashed. The application will now terminate."
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 7th May 2012 at 2:55 PM
In that case, try the problem guide that Whiterider linked. We need the system specs as well.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 7th May 2012 at 3:13 PM
Sounds like my recent problem. My game kept crashing, apparently randomly. I couldn't tell if removing CC had fixed it because I hated playing without CC for any length of time, but the crash would happen from any time from ten minutes to six hours of playtime. It wasn't until I found a set of commands that made it crash consistently that I was able to really troubleshoot and I eventually found out it was a default replacement... something. The reason it seemed random was because other sims I wasn't controlling were autonomously causing the crash. I suggest saving as often as possible, so that when the crash happens, you should be able to easily recreate the scenario that made it crash, which will make it easier to find the problem file.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th May 2012 at 10:07 PM
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
System Manufacturer: Toshiba
System Model: Satellite C660
BIOS: Phoenix Secure Version 1.80
Processor: Intel® Pentium ® CPU P6100 @2.00GHz (2 CPU’s), ~2.0GHz lz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Page file: 1843MB used, 10031MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Hiya simsample, thanks, but I can't get the top link to work. Well, it works, but the page has gone if you know what I mean.

Hiya sushigal007, thanks for replying, I'm not AS worried about the crashing, it's annoying but I do not want to get rid of any CC! (I love my CC, and some of it is stuff I have searched for hours to find). I don't think it's a default replacement as I downloaded those a couple of months ago and have only been having crashing for a few days. The only things I have downloaded in the last couple of days has been a couple of hairstyles, a couple of outfits and a bit of jewellry/make-up. Sometimes it is a couple of hours between crashes so I think it would be difficult to test...hmmmm. I have been saving more often, just because I was sick of re-playing the same bit.

I'm just bothered about corruption really. I don't want to waste time playing a doomed game. I keep trying to Google it, but if you Google about sims and phones............you get stuff about mobile phone deals!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#8 Old 7th May 2012 at 11:33 PM
Sorry, a typo on my part: Game Help:Game Problemwiki

Site Helper
#9 Old 7th May 2012 at 11:34 PM
You are not being asked to delete the CC forever, just to back up your neighborhood, and then temporarily clear it out. (To the desktop or something.) If it works without the CC in there, then you have a piece of CC that is causing trouble. Once you track down what it is, you can check to see if it has been updated. In fact, if you go through the whole Game Problem FAQ, (this link worked quite well for me just now http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...lp:Game_Problem) we can tell where the problem is and help you better.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Site Helper
#10 Old 8th May 2012 at 2:01 AM
You didn't tell us your graphics card, which is one of the components which can cause your game to crash (if it's inadequate). Do you have a graphics card?

Saving with a sim on the phone is not a problem unless you get a reset. Resets occur when you install a new EP or SP, although there are other things that can cause a reset. This isn't likely your problem.
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 8th May 2012 at 12:59 PM Last edited by Dizzy-noodles : 8th May 2012 at 1:06 PM. Reason: Missed a bit out
Hiya

whiterider-Aah don't be sorry, it was really nice of you to post the link in the first place! Thanks for the new one though.

Ghost sdoj-Thanks for the new link. I know I should go through it all, but I have a feeling it would take forever, the problem is that it can be quite a few hours before the first crash, so even doing the 50 50 method with CC would take weeks (I was playing for about 4 hrs last night, and it didn't even crash once). I know it wouldn't be all the CC, I just kind of meant that if it turned out that a favourite item of CC was the problem, I wouldn't want to delete it, if that makes sense? I know you mentioned updates, but I've only been playing for a few months, so maybe they would be too new? What do you think? Also, I have gone through the Game Problem FAQ properly 2 or 3 weeks ago, as I was having lots of problems (that time it was some dodgy Saved Sims files).

Mootilda-Sorry it's an 'Intel (R) HD Graphics' card. It came with the laptop. When I first bought my laptop in November 2011, I did actually almost buy a new graphics card on Ebay, as I wanted to play Double Deluxe (up until then I had been borrowing my friend's copy of DD and playing it on my mum's laptop), and my graphics card can't handle the Celebration Stuff. But after hours of reading up on graphics cards on the internet, I found out that mine can't be removed, so I didn't buy a new one. I then went on this website http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/ to see which expansion packs I could play on my laptop (it said I could play the Base Game, Nightlife and Pets no problem, and it does check the graphics card).

Thankyou so much for reassuring me about corruption, I was really worried about having to abandon my neighbourhood again! I read Avoiding Hood Corruption carefully, and it did say 'under the circumstances of installing hacks/new EP or SP' but...........I suppose I just wanted to be 100% sure, and everyone on here knows so much more than I do!

Thankyou all so much for helping me, I really appreciate it! It must be frustrating having a noob like me ask so much, but it seems to be one thing after another lately! I don't know anything about computers, but.....................if any of you need advice on horses, I can return the favour! lol! xxx <3
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#12 Old 8th May 2012 at 1:23 PM
So, the answer is that you don't have a graphics card (Intel HD just means that the graphics are handled by your processor, instead of by a separate graphics card). You should be aware that those system requirement check websites are completely unreliable - they incorrectly identify your hardware, and then compare it to incorrect requirements for games.

Pets is the last of the EPs that wouldn't get an immediate "no way" from me if you want to play it without a graphics card. You can probably get away with Pets without a graphics card. However, the fact that it consistently takes hours of play before the game crashes is very telling: weak hardware can play the game, but not for very long. As you're playing it heats up, and at some point it will get so hot that it can no longer cope with what you're trying to do: that causes either the game or the computer itself to crash.

You may want to do the first steps of the Game Problem FAQ anyway (temporarily remove your user data), to see if the crash is in fact caused by something there, and not by your hardware. However, the chances are that it's a hardware problem.

There are various tips that can help improve things here: Game Help:Onboard Graphicswiki. At the end of the day, however, it's gonna boil down to "If your computer can't handle that, don't try and force it" - doing so will eventually cause permanent damage to your computer. It sounds like you haven't done much damage so far, so you should be able to keep playing, so long as you follow some of the tips above and keep your play sessions relatively short - a couple of hours at a time, turning the computer off inbetween so it can cool down.

Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 8th May 2012 at 11:28 PM Last edited by Dizzy-noodles : 8th May 2012 at 11:45 PM.
Really? I didn't know that. So does that mean I can buy a graphics card for the laptop? And how would I get it installed? Take it to a computer shop? I am willing to buy one if it will help me play the sims.

Or do I have to buy a new laptop what do you recommend?

The laptop was a present, I just wanted one that could a)go on the internet and b)play the sims. Is it possible to trade it in towards the cost of a new one?

And if I have to buy a new laptop, will I lose my saved game?
Mad Poster
#14 Old 9th May 2012 at 4:34 AM
I can't help you with the technical stuff (but I believe you can install a graphics card in some laptops, but not all; even when you can install it, you may have to do something special to get it to use the card instead of the chip), but all you have to do to keep your saved game is copy the folders for the neighborhoods you care about to a separate place - external hard drive, Dropbox, whatever - that your new computer can be made to access.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Site Helper
#15 Old 9th May 2012 at 4:52 AM
Laptops can be difficult or impossible to upgrade. Don't trust a computer shop to give you good advice. Ask in our Hardware section to get advice on updating your laptop:
http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=563
Scholar
Original Poster
#16 Old 10th May 2012 at 12:38 AM
Hiya

Peni Griffin-Thanks for replying. I do have a memory stick that I save my game to.

Mootilda-Thanks, I might look into it, I read a few of the articles on your link. The trouble is that money is an issue really, so I'll have to think hard about it. My horse can't go out yet so I'm still buying shavings and hay at the moment!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#17 Old 10th May 2012 at 11:06 AM
It's very unlikely - mostly the laptops which can be upgraded are the $1000+ gaming ones, which, of course, then don't need upgrading in the first place to be able to play TS2.

Site Helper
#18 Old 10th May 2012 at 10:01 PM
If you can't afford to upgrade your computer, or buy a new one, then I would really recommend that you read and follow the onboard graphics FAQ that whiterider linked in post #12.
Scholar
Original Poster
#19 Old 11th May 2012 at 5:23 AM
Thankyou everyone.

Whiterider-Oh Well I don't know the exchange rate of dollars to pounds, but I'm sure that would be out of my price range! Thankyou anyway.

Mootilda-Thanks, I have read it and found it useful.

The 'What Can Go Wrong' bit, I haven't had any of those symptoms, just the crashing.

I have turned down the settings.
I updated the drivers about a week ago as I kept getting that Direct X message.
I haven't played in Windowed mode yet, although I have read something on here recently about how to do it, so I will have a look for that.
I do love CC, but always delete a few unused things when I download anything new.
Where should I take the laptop to get it cleaned? How much is it normally?
I will look into closing other programs.
I'm not prepared to uninstall my EP's. I'm not buying any more though, the others don't appeal to me.
I haven't noticed any overheating with the Sims, it's a problem I used to have with Happy Aquarium on Facebook, but I don't play that anymore.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#20 Old 11th May 2012 at 10:37 AM
Yeah - gaming laptops are very, very expensive. When you're next shopping for a new sims computer, I'd strongly recommend sticking with a cheap laptop, and getting a desktop to play Sims on. Desktops are about half the price of an equivalent laptop.

Scholar
Original Poster
#21 Old 12th May 2012 at 11:13 AM
Hiya

Thankyou for the advice anyway.