Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jan 2012 at 8:24 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default My pets are trying to starve themselves.
I'm not sure why, but my cats and dogs won't eat until it's almost to late. They have food in their bowls and yet they don't eat it. Once their hunger gauge gets in the red they finally get desperate enough to eat out of their bowls. They even go so far as begging from sims who are eating or begging for treats before they will eat their food. They even eat food left on the counters. I'm starting to think my animals just don't like their pet food. Lol
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 12th Jan 2012 at 8:43 PM
Sounds like your pets are trained to eat sim food - which also means they won't eat pet food. Praise them when they eat pet food, and scold them when they eat sim food, to reverse the effect.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Jan 2012 at 8:49 PM
I though maybe it was a learned behavior, I just though it was weird because they do this as soon as I get them. Looks like I have some training to do. Thanks. ^_^
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 12th Jan 2012 at 8:53 PM
Pets do come pre-trained if you adopt them, iirc, but not if you get them from the pet shop.

Mad Poster
#5 Old 12th Jan 2012 at 9:29 PM
There's a tab you can check to see what a pet's learned behaviours are.

I haven't paid real close attention, but it seems most, if not all strays are neutral on the learned behaviours. Some know some tricks, but those are different.

FYI, the Critturs (the playable dog "family" in the bin) are trained to be sim-food eaters.

ETA: Doesn't sound like this is part of the problem you're having, since your pets do eventually eat from the bowl, but just so you know, they can't eat from a bowl if the "front" is inaccessible. Annoying, but true. If a sim puts the bowl down facing the "wrong" direction after cleaning and refilling it, pets won't be able to access it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Jan 2012 at 3:22 AM
I'm still having the problem even though this one dog has learned to eat pet food. I always make sure that the bowl is facing the right why too. They do eventually eat, it's just that they wait until the gauge is red. Then i think the only reason they do eat is because the hunger deprivation makes them eat. Oh well, I haven't had one die on me yet. >.<;
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 13th Jan 2012 at 11:08 AM
Perhaps your free will is set too low/off?