Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 2:17 AM Last edited by Shoosh Malooka : 24th Jul 2009 at 2:21 AM. Reason: Picture did not show
Default CFE and Wanting Five Floors
http://thumbs.modthesims.info/getimage.php?file=968302

Is it that digging into the ground to make assist walls somehow ruins the lot? As you can see in the picture, I am placing some foundation-high levels between normal floors, using CFE across the entire floor. The game will not allow a fifth level to be built above my fourth level. Is it a side effect / limitation for CFE users that five levels cannot be allowed. Or is it the foundation that counts as the fifth floor?

This is my first time using constrainFloorElevation False, btw. I viewed some tutorial videos and was inspired.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 2:33 AM
Foundation does count as floor 1 with the ground / terrain being floor 0 .. I believe it's a maximum number of floors issue, not specifically caused by using CFE but a natural restriction in the game. There was a similar restriction in Sims 2 but at least there was a code that came in one of the expansions (University I think?) that enabled you to change the max value to add more floors..

"setHighestAllowedLevel [level]" - Allows building higher then 5 floors, replace [level] with a number higher than the default of 4.

.. I'm fairly sure I tried it in Sims 3 and it didn't work, but I think that's basically what's limiting the height of your structure. The game doesn't want you building anything too high, yet .
Theorist
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 5:05 AM Last edited by Shoosh Malooka : 24th Jul 2009 at 5:19 AM. Reason: Descriptive Addition
It's just so egregious! That we have waited patiently and tolerated an unneccesary commercial delay expecting a milestone, and we find that EA has ( deliberately, I say ) thrown us back to square one and crippled our creative hands. It's like a dodo bird that realizes that it once had wings and could fly. We are that dodo.

Btw, I have found that the game will let me make a fifth floor on the lot - a basement. But I wanted to go up, not down. So be it, that foundation is history!
Captain Louie
retired moderator
#4 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 5:36 AM
We aren't back to square one because we have the same set up as TS2 base game with a max possible height of 6 floors (without a roof) They purposely throw us back to the beginning because they are EVIL AND MEAN!!11! No, they probably do it because it i easier for them to not have in the cheats and because they wanna see us content creators find a way for ourselves.

and, as feldynn said...

And going down is a very logical thing to do
Screenshots

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
Theorist
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 9:12 AM
Perhaps I am being overdramatic, I do tend to be become outraged when I am faced with unexpected difficulties. What I specifically meant with 'being back to square one' is that The Sims 2: Apartment Life expansion allowed for more levels. Now with The Sims 3, what we had before we do not have now.

Moreover, comes a new problem that I just discovered on my CFE lot - building mode has exacted its punishment on me in the form of a hovering phantom ceiling. I was happily admiring my work on the exterior when I encountered it, and flew into such a rage that I saw stars for two minutes!

http://thumbs.modthesims.info/getimage.php?file=968526

From what I read just moments ago, there is no fix for it.
Screenshots
Instructor
#6 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 9:59 AM
Nope, there is currently no fix to it. The game recognises that as being a level but isn't smart enough to lower the ceiling. I don't understand why they would let us have CFE and not think about the ceilings, it's just stupid. Hopefully this will get fixed in a patch or expansion

Find me on YouTube!
Flabaliki - General gaming
TheSimSupply - Videos all about The Sims!
Theorist
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 10:20 AM
Then I will just have to live with the side effects for now and update my upload ( if it is approved ) if and when a fix or workaround becomes available. All right, that wraps up this topic. Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it!