Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 5:26 PM
Default How do you place vacant lots?
I am trying to build a nice house but I want it in a certain spot on the map... I guess I most be overlooking something completely because I do not see a way to place or move empty lots... I am in the edit town section and all I can do is build or place housing on existing lots.
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 5:47 PM
TS3 is very similar to TS1: fixed lot sizes in fixed locations. There is no way to add new lot locations to a neighborhood. EA has said that they intend to release a neighborhood editing tool (which may or may not allow us to add new lots), but it probably won't be available anytime soon. I believe the expected ship date is 2010.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 5:50 PM
Ok thanks. I was starting to think I was crazy.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 13th Jul 2009 at 6:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
TS3 is very similar to TS1: fixed lot sizes in fixed locations. There is no way to add new lot locations to a neighborhood. EA has said that they intend to release a neighborhood editing tool (which may or may not allow us to add new lots), but it probably won't be available anytime soon. I believe the expected ship date is 2010.

Since I didn't play Sims 1, only Sims 2, you are saying there are no clear lots to place in Sims 3? I just started playing this past weekend (I had to get a new computer to accomodate the new game). I guess I was spoiled by all the EPs and extras with Sims 2....so no bare lots, no businesses, no pets, etc. I realize I am just at the tip of the iceberg exploring the whole game and what is possible. Can you go to an existing house (pre-built by the Sims 3 team) and bulldoze it and use the lot that way? Can you create a new town and bulldoze all the houses (but not the businesses of course)? Maybe I should buy the guide.

Jody
(Pawzim / jrb2037)
Site Helper
#5 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 12:16 AM
That is correct. The neighborhoods are shipped with fixed lots in fixed locations with fixed sizes. There is nothing that you can do at this time to change this. Specifically, there is no way to add a new lot to a neighborhood.

Yes, you can bulldoze an existing lot and build on it. You can create a new neighborhood and bulldoze all of the houses and build on them.

The Prima Guide was printed before the game was complete and has many inaccuracies, so it may not actually answer your questions.
Test Subject
#6 Old 15th Jul 2009 at 4:57 AM
"You can create a new neighborhood and bulldoze all of the houses and build on them."

So, I just click on 'new game' and then bulldoze everything and will be able to build
on the empty lots?
I d/l a few lots that are weird sizes and they don't 'fit' anywhere!! Frustrating.
Test Subject
#7 Old 15th Jul 2009 at 9:58 AM
When I played Sims1 I figured out how to change lots, I found out that the lots were listed in the saved area and all you had to do was rename the lot and for some strange reason that worked. House on lot one would now be on House two and vice versa. Kinda wierd.

[/B]
Quote:
Friends help you move, best friends help you move bodies.
Site Helper
#8 Old 15th Jul 2009 at 4:48 PM
Not really helpful for this problem.

In TS3, houses can be moved to any lot which is the correct size or larger. However, the size of the lots and their location remains fixed.
Theorist
#9 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 6:55 PM
Quote:
So, I just click on 'new game' and then bulldoze everything and will be able to build on the empty lots?

Before you bulldoze anything existing, you may want to know that some lots have a Vista "buff" and bulldozing destroys that particular buff (other buffs like library, gym, park, etc. aren't destroyed when bulldozing because they actually result from a set amount of certain objects for that lot type), as does plopping another building onto that lot. The beautiful vista buff on residential lots gives a moodlet which has a picture just like the moodlet for being in a large park. To keep that buff, you need to tear down from inside the lot. The hammer makes it a pretty easy process, though. I can rip down a huge house with the hammer in just a couple of minutes.