Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 12:56 AM
Default Residential lot turned into flat "mirror" and is unplayable
I've read about a lot of weird glitches in people's games, but this has me completely baffled. I placed a residential lot (I downloaded it here, it's a house by QBUILDERZ) and had been decorating it. I was slowly working on it over a few days and saving it each time (it's for a sim couple to move into later). Then, for no reason at all, the last time I exited the lot, it became completely unselectable, meaning also unplayable. I can't move it; I can't even bulldoze it! The strangest part was that the house disappeared, and the entire lot turned into a flat, reflective rectangle... basically a big mirror. Here is a screenshot:

Now, I tried changing around the graphics options, nothing happened. I tried taking out some of my custom content, then ALL of my custom content, disabling custom content with some still in Downloads, disabling it with the Downloads folder empty, all to no avail. I searched both here and at the Insiminator forums and I can't seem to find any instances of a similar problem. I really don't car about having to re-place and re-decorate the lot, but I can't get rid of the mirror-thing!

I have TS2 Deluxe (base and NL only). Here are my system specs:

==System==
•Operating System: Windows Vista(TM) Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002)
•System Manufacturer: Acer
•System Model: Aspire 6930G
•Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
•Memory: 4090MB RAM
•Page File: 3293MB used, 5077MB available
•DirectX Version: DirectX 11
==Display==
•Name: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS
•Manufacturer: NVIDIA
•Chip Type: GeForce 9600M GS
•Approx. Total Memory: 2287 MB
•Main Driver: nvd3dum,nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2um,
•Version: 7.15.0011.7620 (English)
==Sound==
•Name: 1: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
2: Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition)

Thanks in advance... hope I'm not going crazy...
Advertisement
Banned
#2 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 4:51 AM
This happened to me on Deluxe, I just reinstalled . . .
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 2:38 PM
Oh boy... I'd better go back up my files, then.

I've never had to reinstall because of a game problem... if I back up the entire EA Games\The Sims 2 folder, all of my CC should be preserved, right? However, will my game progress in my custom neighborhood be lost? (i.e. sims' relationships with each other, skill points, job levels, etc.)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 2:57 PM
I can't tell for sure since it's too long ago that I had TS2, but I don't think you necessarily need to reinstall. I seem to recall that with TS2, broken lots were often just broken lots and not more than that .. you may only need to throw away that neighbourhood, but not your entire game.

Try searching the forum before you go to the trouble of reinstalling, you're not the ony one who had this problem.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 3:16 PM
I did try searching, but I wasn't exactly sure what to search for, so I didn't get many results. I didn't think to search for "broken lot." It looks like I may have to delete the neighborhood, and I really don't want to have to do that If I tried deleting the lot files (the file I downloaded, and the lot file itself by finding it in SimPE) would that make it disappear, or make things worse? I also have a backup from about a month ago (before I put down the lot) if I have to reinstall. Can you tell I'm too attached to this 'hood?
Site Helper
#6 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 4:14 PM
The lot has dropped down below the ground; what you're seeing is the sky reflected through a hole in the ground. You should be able to fix this by just changing the lot elevation. While this tutorial is for a different problem, it may give you an idea of what to change:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=302405

If you have another lot at approximately the same elevation, try copying the elevation from that lot. Otherwise, you'll have to experiment a bit to get the correct value. The neighborhood water level is at approximately 312.5, so I'd try 350 or so as a first guess.

The more interesting question is why this lot dropped. Usually, I only see that on lots which were incorrectly rotated, or which have odd road configurations; neither of these seem to apply to this lot.

If you'd like, I would be happy to look at your package files and see whether I can determine what's going on... just zip up your neighborhood package and the lot package for this lot and attach them here. Don't attach a Sims2Pack... it won't help. I need the actual package files that you're playing. There's also no need to attach your Characters, Lots, Storytelling, etc. All I need is the two package files.

If you attach the files, I can also try to resolve your problem for you. Just avoid playing this neighborhood until I get you the fixed files.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Feb 2010 at 1:48 AM
Mootilda - I tried changing the elevation several times in SimPE, starting by using a nearby lot's. The land around the lot either rose into a plateau with the mirror on top, or sunk down with the mirror at the bottom. Frustrating! So, I think I will take you up on your offer and attach my files (I think I have the right ones - N005_Neighborhood.package and N005_Lot116.package), because I'm at a complete loss. I'm honestly a beginner at anything more than playing the game and downloading CC (I'm trying to teach myself some modding stuff), so I really appreciate your help.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Arwentroi_Rhapsodia.zip (1.28 MB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Arwentroi's N005_Neighborhood.package and N005_Lot116.package files for neighborhood Rhapsodia (N005)
Site Helper
#8 Old 10th Feb 2010 at 4:51 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 10th Feb 2010 at 6:27 AM.
Try this:
- Run the game
- Choose the neighborhood
- Bring up the cheat window and type in the following line. Be sure to use the double and single quotes as shown:
loadlot "15 Cohorts' Lane"
- Make a build change to the lot. For example, put down a new piece of flooring.
- Save the lot and exit to the neighborhood.

When I tried this, your lot reappeared in the neighborhood view. Let me know whether this works for you.

Also, I found that a lot elevation of 378 worked well for your lot; it seems too high at 381.

I wasn't able to find anything wrong with the lot or neighborhood, so I have no idea how this happened. Luckily, it looks like it's pretty easy to fix.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 10th Feb 2010 at 7:36 AM
I typed it exactly as you did, and I got an "unknown command" error. Did loadlot come with a later EP than Nightlife, or do I have to have testing cheats enabled? If not, it doesn't make sense... if you were able to do it, I should, right?
Site Helper
#10 Old 10th Feb 2010 at 4:02 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 10th Feb 2010 at 5:09 PM.
You may need to enable testing cheats first... I always have it enabled, so I'm not sure. However, I was running with just Deluxe and Uni, so you should definitely have the cheat available. [Update:] Tried with just Deluxe and the command is still available. [Update:] Confirmed. You do need to have testingCheatsEnabled set to true.

Does it show up as an available cheat when you type "help"? Mine shows:
loadLot : <lotName> [optional: family name] loads the lot and possibly moves in family

Perhaps your system wants the second L capitalized?

I have just two pieces of CC: Inge's Portal Revealer and an invisible tile, so it can't be that.

You could also try copying the cheat from my post and pasting it into the cheat window using <ctrl>v, just in case there was some problem with spelling or spacing or something.

Another option would be to type in LO<tab> and see whether the game will complete the command for you. Just keep tabbing until the commands start to repeat.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you really can't get this command to work, then my next suggestion is to use the LotAdjuster. That was how I originally solved your problem, but then I went back to your original files to try to find a simpler way. Let me know if you want to try this and I'll tell you the most reasonable parameters to use.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
One other thing: I got errors on a modular sofa, so you might want to remove that CC to make sure that it's not causing any problems.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 10th Feb 2010 at 6:09 PM
Okay, here's what happened:

I removed the modular sofa and its recolors (it's the "Annie" modular sofa by BlakeBoy, I use it in almost all my lots and I've never had any problems before). Nothing happened. I did check "help" before, but I double-checked - loadLot is not on the list. I enabled testing cheats and tried typing in the command, once with "loadlot" in all lowercase, another with the second "L" capitalized, and then another by copying an pasting your text. I got the same error every time:

ERROR TSCheatSystem: ERROR IN CHEAT: Unknown command in command 'loadLot "15 Cohorts' Lane"' with command loadLot "15 Cohorts' Lane"
.\source\TSCheatSystem.cpp(68)

It's as if my game doesn't even know that the cheat exists. I did try typing in LO then pressing tab, but it went to lockAspiration and that was it.

All I really want to do is delete the lot, because I found a less cramped house for the couple I was going to move into it (did you notice there's a 19 Cohorts' Lane... on a different street? ) So, whatever you think is best for me to do, just let me know... what I need to do with the Lot Adjuster, or whatever.
Site Helper
#12 Old 10th Feb 2010 at 7:04 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 10th Feb 2010 at 8:16 PM.
Very strange. I wonder whether you need to have "boolprop testingCheatsEnabled true" in a userStartup.cheat file for it to be recognized in the neighborhood view? I'm so sorry; I honestly thought that this would be the quickest and easiest method to solve your problem. For completeness sake, I've attached my userStartup.cheat file.

If you just want to delete the lot, it should be fairly simple using SimPE. Note that you shouldn't do this when a lot is occupied, but it should be perfectly safe in this case.

To delete a lot from a neighborhood (see attached screenshot):
- First, backup your neighborhood if you haven't done it yet.
- Open the neighborhood package in SimPE.
- Select Lot Description (LTXT) in the left pane.
- Select your lot in the right pane (just to be safe).
- Right click on your lot in the right pane and select Delete.
- Save your neighborhood package.
- Exit SimPE and try running the game.
You will also want to delete the lot package, once it's no longer needed.

I have verified that your problem is something in the lot package, not in the neighborhood package, so removing the lot from the neighborhood will completely solve your problem.

[Update:] OK, I've attached a screenshot of the LotAdjuster. Looks like we need to ensure that the lot impostor is deleted; the LotAdjuster will only delete the lot impostor when the lot is expanded. You will probably want to run the LotAdjuster a second time to shrink the lot, once you're sure that everything's OK. I suggested these parameters because they should have the smallest impact on your neighborhood terrain.

However, this gives me another idea of where to look for the problem. There's a possibility that the only problem with your lot is that the lot impostor is corrupt. If this is true, you'll be able to just delete the lot impostor using SimPE. I'm going to run some more tests now.

[Another Update:] Verified that deleting the lot impostor gives you the ability to edit the lot (just like the loadLot cheat). Once you are able to edit the lot, make a build change and save the lot. Your lot will appear in the neighborhood view.

To delete the lot impostor (see attached screenshot):
- First, backup your neighborhood if you haven't done it yet.
- Open the neighborhood package in SimPE.
- Select Texture Image (TXTR) in the left pane.
- Select your lot's terrain_txtr in the right pane (just to be safe).
- Right click on your lot's terrain_txtr in the right pane and select Delete. You do not want to remove any of the other texture images.
- Save your neighborhood package.
- Exit SimPE and try running the game.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  userStartup.zip (166 Bytes, 5 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Unzip and place in Config subdirectory to enable loadLot cheat
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 10th Feb 2010 at 11:23 PM
PROBLEM SOLVED!

I deleted the lot impostor in SimPE, and when I ran the game, it looked like I had an empty lot, but no more mirror, and it was clickable. So I went in, laid down a few floor tiles to be safe, exited to the hood, and the lot view reappeared. I then bulldozed the lot, and I'm just not going to build on that patch of land or use that house again just to be safe.

Thank you so much, Mootilda, for all your help. I really was afraid that neighborhood was borked, and being a newbie it took me a long time to get it where I did. Seriously, though, I'm learning a lot about this game from having to fix stuff
Site Helper
#14 Old 10th Feb 2010 at 11:56 PM
I'm so glad that I could help. Please leave this thread (don't delete it) in case someone else has this problem.