Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#26 Old 16th Mar 2005 at 11:54 AM
Default Great Thanks Vandalia
Great thanks vandalia!

I know this is probably the problem, because I only got one made for only one GM. But as you said, I need all 4.

And I will read/live/breathe meshtool.modthesims2.com

- But is there at meshtool.modthesims2.com, and toturial, explaining More about the GUID (for us newbiees) ? *Smiling*

Have a great day you all :howdy:

WindBlower
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#27 Old 16th Mar 2005 at 12:09 PM
Default A question about the GUID
Hi again everybody

- can anybody tell me, where in the (old toturial) I should 'stop up' and make the GUID number for the 4 GM-files ? - can anyone point out the 'step-number' where I should 'GUID them' ?

Thanks for helping all that you all already have

Have a great afternoon

WindBlower
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#28 Old 16th Mar 2005 at 4:31 PM
there isent a GUID for body meshes, which I am working on.

Can anybody Please help me ? (need to get this part down ) *smiling*

WindBlower
Test Subject
#29 Old 16th Mar 2005 at 10:58 PM Last edited by manac_simmer : 16th Mar 2005 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Changed a couple things
I have heard that if you want to successfully do body meshes you gotta use milkshape3d. Personally I hate that program and it is clunky compared to 3D Studio.

But successful body meshes come from it, according to Brianna's tutorial.

I've virtually tried everything in 3dstudio and although it appears to be successful when viewing both the 3dview from meshtool and the preview view from SimPE, it is not.

If anyone has had success with 3dstudio -> game meshes please design a tutorial solely based around 3ds users or at least Gmax users (which is a free program from discreet for game modelling and isn't as clunky) However I really haven't tried following the tutorial while using gmax.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#30 Old 16th Mar 2005 at 11:16 PM
Dear Manac_simmer thanks for responding *S*

I am using milkshape - but I still can't get it to show me the edited mesh ?

WindBlower
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#31 Old 16th Mar 2005 at 11:18 PM
I droped the 3dMax - because I could not get it to work probaly, so now I am using milkeshape.

WindB.
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 15th Apr 2005 at 1:46 PM
I am having real problems with Milkshape it just keeps crashing on me!! I don't seem to be able to texture anything, or at least it allows me to texture, but when I try to re-access the file the program crashes, I have the dll files & updated my graphic card drivers, can anyone give me any pointers?! I have decided to give 3ds max a go - phew that is a complicated program!!LOL Does anyone know where I can get the obj plugin!? Thanks for your help!!
Instructor
#33 Old 15th Apr 2005 at 2:50 PM
Aimoss: They have the obj plugins here:

http://www.habware.at/duck3.htm

I can't say how they work as I've always used Milkshape to convert between 3ds and obj.

And yes Max is a complicated program. It gets easier to use with time. The biggest thing is learning all the controls and functions. Once you get those down it's really not so bad.
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 15th Apr 2005 at 3:27 PM
Thanks Motoki!!! Any tips for good tuts for 3ds?! I couldn't get Milkshape to work it just was constantly crashing!!!!
Instructor
#35 Old 15th Apr 2005 at 4:11 PM
I have some video tutorials where these 2 guys teach a small class on 3D Studio Max (version 4 I think) and start from absolute beginner with the controls. I got them off of some site and they were free, but of course I don't have it bookmarked and I can't find the darned site now.

I do know those videos are also on filesharing programs such as emule. They aren't warez or anything like that because they're free tutorials. The filename of the first one is called:

"3Ds Max Divx 5.0.2 Tutorial Issue 1 - 01 The User Interface 75 Min.avi"
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 15th Apr 2005 at 4:35 PM
Awww thank you soooo much Motoki................Going to check out for them thanks!!!!! I am determined to get my Charmed dining chair!!! I did it in Milkshape but just can't export it for some reason?!?! Silly program keeps crashing!!!!!
Instructor
#37 Old 15th Apr 2005 at 4:36 PM
Will it even let you save it to Milkshape's m3d format? If so I can try and export it for you if you want. Let me know.
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 15th Apr 2005 at 5:00 PM
Thanks Motoki!!!! I hate bothering people as I realise that everybody is busy with their own projects!!! I can only seem to save the file without a texture, as soon as I had a texture, I cannot reopen the file?! I muxt be doing something wrong!!!
Instructor
#39 Old 15th Apr 2005 at 5:05 PM
I think it's fine to save it without a texture because the texture gets assigned in SimPE anyhow. I always saved my meshes without textures. Everytime I've tried to save it with one I've had issues.

Anyhow if you want to send me the file to look at you can pm me about it I don't mind.
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 15th Apr 2005 at 5:07 PM Last edited by Aimoss : 15th Apr 2005 at 6:10 PM.
Cripes that might have been my problem all along!!!! It's a very basic file - my very first one!!!! I am looking how I can champher the horrible look of it!! Please don't laugh, should I post it here for you to download?! Are you sure you have the time and/or inclination!?!?
Instructor
#41 Old 15th Apr 2005 at 5:09 PM
Sure, why not.
Instructor
#42 Old 15th Apr 2005 at 5:40 PM
Okay I exported it to obj. Hopefully it works for you. *crosses fingers*

You can attach the texture to it by replacing the texture of the original chair with yours in SimPE.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  charmedchair.zip (8.9 KB, 15 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 15th Apr 2005 at 6:26 PM
Thanks!!!!!!
Test Subject
#44 Old 16th Apr 2005 at 6:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JWoods
I have had the same problem... Try downloading UV mapper classic...
It's free... http://www.uvmapper.com/

Open your object in UV mapper clasic then apply UV map... Save as object file and it should rectify the problem... Hope this helped...

Hey can I have that thing in your picture...can you post it

You will die when you die so live your life how you want.

If I thought I had to go through another life I'd kill myself right now
Scholar
#45 Old 16th Apr 2005 at 11:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WindBlower
there isent a GUID for body meshes, which I am working on.

Can anybody Please help me ? (need to get this part down ) *smiling*

WindBlower

Body and hair meshes do not have, or need, a GUID number

Those are only used in objects, not body parts.

If you make and name your new MESH_ .package file as in Brianna's tutorial, it will have all the necessary new numbers in it.
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 5:14 PM
Can anyone tell me what is the best format to export from 3ds max to import into milkshape?! Also does anyone know where I can get a simple chair tutorial for 3DS? Thanks
Instructor
#47 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 5:23 PM
.3DS is what I use. I'll look around and see if I can find some tutorials.

You can put a texture on the object in Max just to see what it will look like, but make sure you get rid of the texture before you export to 3DS or it might crash Max.
Instructor
#48 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 5:32 PM
Found a couple of tutorials:

http://www.terra.es/personal2/palmiro/tut_chair.htm

http://www.designertoday.com/tabind...topDefault.aspx

The second one looks a little bit modern probably for what you want. I don't see Piper, Phoebe or Paige using it, doesn't go with their decor. Also it looks a bit high poly from that picture which is bad bad bad lol.

In general, whatever you make try to use the optimize modifier on it to try and reduce the polygon count. It will help prevent the game from getting too slow.
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 7:46 PM
Aww you are such a sweetheart - thanks!!! I have done a rough model - not the crappy one from before!!!LOL But I am kind of stuck now on how to export it!!
Instructor
#50 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 12:31 AM
Are you still having problems with export? I'm sorry to hear that. If you want to post the file again I can try and export it for you, I don't mind.
Page 2 of 3