Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Oct 2009 at 3:58 PM Last edited by petallotus : 11th Nov 2009 at 12:59 AM. Reason: posting another link.
Default Sims 3 Object Tutorial With pictures.
I know that several people have requested a tutorial with pictures. I already had a version that used an older set of Wes's tools that I edited to use the most recent set of Tools. For now the tutorial will stay hosted on my site until I get around to resizing the pictures because they are too big for here. Please feel free to post any problems or questions that you may have with the tutorial. Or if you can think of anything to add please let me know.

http://www.thosecrazysims.com/index...orials&Itemid=1

Here is a second link for the tutorial.

http://thosekrazysims.blogspot.com/...t-tutorial.html
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 13th Oct 2009 at 6:37 PM
I've added a version of DD's tutorial with pics on BPS too.
http://www.blackpearlsims.com/showthread.php?t=31726
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Oct 2009 at 6:56 PM
This is great Jonesi because your tutorial goes into how to texture an object and mine doesn't. I hope this thread will be able to help people who are having trouble.
Test Subject
#4 Old 14th Oct 2009 at 12:02 PM
Thanks for the tutorials. Can you explain the steps you follow to make the texture? I made my texture in uvmapper, and then I import the mapped .obj in milkshape but then I can't export it because it says "model has 2 groups and original 0". I delete it the shadow, but now it says "model has 1 group and original 0".

I made another mesh, using the original textures and I can export it and see it in the game, but I can't make a new mesh with new textures. I try to make the texture in milkshape but in game they don't appear. My mesh has the grey texture.

I don't know how to do it, I'm gonna be crazy with the textures

Edit. I don't know how to do textures, I know it! I only need how to export it, because I can't.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Oct 2009 at 10:33 PM
Hi NovaSS sorry it took so long but I have been at work all day. If milkshape is telling you that the model has two groups and the original 0, then you have missed a step somewhere. Did you decompile your exported lod/modl file like explained in step 14? And you export your textures by clicking on the img files that you want to change, edit them and then reimport them back using S3PE
Scholar
#6 Old 14th Oct 2009 at 10:35 PM
When you're exporting a model it needs to have the same group structure as the one you're overwriting, unless of course you're not overwriting anything.

So if you import the original mesh from the game you will see the structure, how many groups, their placement in the groups tab and their name. The mesh you export must have the same "make up" as the original or it will not overwrite.

You may get more help and advice for this issue if you start your own thread or post in the busier threads regarding meshing. x
Test Subject
#7 Old 15th Oct 2009 at 5:39 PM
Hi Petallotus. Don't worry

I decompile the lod/mlod and I edit in Milkshape. Next I export a obj to make the texture and I import it again at Milkshape. But when I try to export the mapped mesh to mlod, milkshape tells me the groups.

Hi Jonesi. I add new groups in Milkshape, I'm with a new sofa and sink and I add some new groups, to help me with the texture in uvmapper. Maybe I should export the same groups to do the texture? I will try.

I made other meshes, only deleting vertex and I don't had any problems, but when it is all new yes. Thanks for the help. I will open my new thread. See you soon.
Alchemist
#8 Old 15th Oct 2009 at 6:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by NovaSS
"model has 2 groups and original 0". I delete it the shadow, but now it says "model has 1 group and original 0".

You are not saving to the right filename. Don't make a new name, export to the name you loaded from... MilkShape will make a backup of the old one (.bak00).

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Test Subject
#9 Old 17th Oct 2009 at 4:00 PM
Thanks Wes, now I can export my mesh.
Test Subject
#10 Old 17th Oct 2009 at 6:32 PM
thank you so much for these tutorials. will look at them later tonight as i have a load of evermotion models id love to use.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 22nd Nov 2009 at 4:59 AM
ty for posting that tutorial it really cleared up things one thing i must say thoguh if you create an alpha 1 channel for everything you have problems using the other CAS tabs when it comes to the recolourable sections, unless this was intended for use on single colourable objects... nver the less its made my day i can now go bed!! its 5am :-( ty x