Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 12:34 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Adblocker Genesis Plus --will it affect my gameplay ?
Tried to install Ublock Origin first, but my computer is too old. (Win. Vista)

I can post my specs from DxDiag --but you probably get the picture.
I'm using this pc for mostly Sims 2 .Everything else is Ipad or laptops.

What about Adblocker Geneisis Plus from the Chrome web store ?
I didn't want to DL anything that would negatively affect my simmies !!!
If it's risky.. I'll just put up with them.

The most horrible ads are the "GumGum" ads. You try to opt-out , and instead you get a message saying they've put an 'opt-out' cookie on your PC. But the ads remain.
--- thanks for any advice.

" Inama Nushif "
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 12:42 AM
Adblockers should only affect your web browser. I've had Adblock Plus for quite a while now, and what it does is to cut down the amount of ads and popups you see. Shouldn't influence your games. You may need to change some settings in the addon, because it may not block all ads immediately (it may have a "whitelist" of sites it thinks the ads are safe enough to show).

I haven't tried Ublock Origin or Adblock Genesis, but it probably works similarly to ABP.

You should also disable popups in the browser settings if you haven't done so already.

Sites do get sneaky after a time, so sometimes you may need an adblock unblocker so certain sites don't block or punish you for having an adblocker. TSR is one such site (170+ seconds to download, instead of 10 seconds or instant DLs)

You should also have an antivirus/antimalware program, because if something bad does get past the adblocker and whatever else you've got to protect your computer and browser, getting rid of those files can be difficult at best. A good AV/AM program works as a safety net, and either picks up those files immediately when they try to do some nasty stuff on your computer, or are discovered through a scan. And it's also a good idea to do a disk cleanup and browser log cleaning once in a while, to remove cookies and other annoying crumbs left over on your computer from browsing. Even if they're not malware, these files can take up a lot of space and make your computer slower.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 1:02 AM
I have Webroot Secure Anywhere v9.0.24.49.

" Inama Nushif "
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 1:34 AM
Add blockers don't touch the game, but antivirus programs can.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#5 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 1:49 AM
^ true, but it's often possible to whitelist the TS2 files from the antivirus, or make the files read-only, or turn the antivirus and your internet off when playing.
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 2:29 AM
WSA has not affected my Sims 2. So it's good in that area.
I've just installed AdBlocker Genesis Plus.
So we'll see if it works to go into my game......

" Inama Nushif "
Scholar
#7 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 5:14 PM
Seriously... I'd advise against going online with that machine (Vista... omg). If it's just for the game, simply do not go online. Just don't. There's no possibility to harden these old devices, not in Windows, anyway. Having that machine I'd just disable LAN/WiFi interface for good and keep it unplugged.

You have got other machines around, I suppose newer, updated, check and download the stuff by them. You can easily transport anything you'll find worthy onto that old one by usb-stick, even if it's USB2 it won't take long.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"