Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Feb 2007 at 2:58 AM Last edited by Numenor : 8th Feb 2007 at 12:22 PM.
Default ModTheSimsSTORIES? Yes!!!
Well, it seems that the new stand-alone game "Sims Life Stories" - that was supposed to be un-moddable, and could not accept custom content (except the one purposely released by Maxis) - IS definitely moddable

I could only examine the new game for a couple of hours, and I have some brief info that might interest modders and players.

The folder structure is quite similar to the known EP; the game installs itself, by default, in [program files]\Electronic Arts\The Sims Life Stories; therefore, its installation won't interfere with the normal game (which is installed in [program files]\EA Games).
All the game files are located in the TSData folder (note: the scenegraphic packages are located in "3D", not "Sims3D" like the base game).
The Savegame folder is located in [Documents]\Electronic Arts\The Sims Life Stories, so not to overwrite the normal savegame folder ([Documents]\EA Games).

The Registry keys set up by the game are also very similar to the ones already used by the Sims2 game, as for its content; but there are differences in the location within the registry:
  • HKLM/SOFTWARE/Electronic Arts/The Sims Life Stories (main key)
  • HKLM/SOFTWARE/Electronic Arts/Electronic Arts/The Sims Life Stories (secondary key)
As you can see, both keys are located in the same registry section, while in the Sims2 game, the two keys are in different sections (EA Games and Electronic Arts).

Custom Content: Life Stories seems to manage quite well the custom content There is no Downloads folder, but it can be easily created by hand; the first time the game detects custom content, the usual annoying window pops up, stating that the custom content is turned off. And we have to turn it on in the usual way. Once done that, the custom content works fine in the game (both in the "Story Mode" and in the "Free Play").

The CEP works perfectly fine in Life Stories Of course, it must be installed manually, because the installation path are different then the normal Sims2 game, but it's easy to do. Even SimPE, if properly configured to read the new folders, can easily list the objects from Life Stories in Object Workshop, clone them and create recolour packages.

A little (and late) gift for the BHAV modders: the "Behaviour" text lists are back The are similar to the old ones, but I could spot some differences, related to the new play style. Also, in the Res\Objects folder there is a package containing an excerpt from the PetsGlobals; the good news is that there are some useful TPRP and TRCN that will help us understanding the related BHAVs.

The TTAB files are built in various versions, up to 0x50; I couldn't see any TTAB in version 0x54 (after all, there a re no pets )
The OBJD don't seem to have any unusual value; the objects in the game come from various EPs (there are also some new), and they all have the "Version_1" set to 0x8c (EP required), but the field 0x40, i.e. the game version required to use that object, set to 0x0001 (Base game).
The BHAV formats range from the old 0x8003 to the new 0x8009; as far as I can see, there's nothing new under the sun in this department, either

NOTE: as said, these are just some brief facts that I'm reporting after only a couple of hours of game play (well, not actually play, but it was amusing nevertheless ). I just wanted to share the news that the Sims Life Stories can be modded, and custom content can be shared fairly easily between it and our "old" game

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Advertisement
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#2 Old 8th Feb 2007 at 5:51 AM
Numenor someone on s2c reported that adding 20 items to their game made it not run well. I was at EA for the presentation of the game. Maxis did not want the game to accept user made content (and I bet they will patch this problem quickly) because they were working to keep the needs of the game on the lean side.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Feb 2007 at 8:29 AM
Yes, I knew that. Infact, I was surprised; I was basically interested in the script system (the stories) but I couldn't help but noticing that the game manages the custom content as usual...

Spencer, thanks for the info

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Instructor
#4 Old 8th Feb 2007 at 8:54 PM
Numenor,does a Bodyshop come with it? And does SimPE load the packages ok?

DONT ASK ME FOR A REQUEST ^-^
New Policy,applies to all my meshes ^-^
Im not meshing/Simming now,details in my Policy thing
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Feb 2007 at 10:06 PM
Exactly, no Bodyshop; but on the other hand Life Stories comes with a Package Installer. It is registered as default installer for .simsLSpack and .simsLSskin files.

As for SimPE, I could easily open any package and read their content; the new paths can optionally be added into SimPE's file table, so to allow it to access the new packages automatically (but be careful with that: it might unknowingly pull the wrong resources when cloning objects or viewing semiglobal BHAVs).

Instructor
#7 Old 8th Feb 2007 at 11:13 PM
Ahh cool,thanks
I was wondering to see if there are any hidden meshes,or ones that dont come with Ts2

thank you ^-^

DONT ASK ME FOR A REQUEST ^-^
New Policy,applies to all my meshes ^-^
Im not meshing/Simming now,details in my Policy thing
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#8 Old 8th Feb 2007 at 11:49 PM
Sure There are several new objects; some may be bought from the catalog, others are gift from other sims.
Here is an example...

Alchemist
#9 Old 9th Feb 2007 at 1:39 AM
Your findings piqued my curiosity, so I ordered this last night.

The screenshot looks like it uses very low poly models with small texture images. Look at the pattern stretching on the model and the countertop.
I am curious to see how they are handling the video. From the design claims in their press releases, I expect they are leaning heavily on software emulation to get the 'laptop friendly' architecture.

I would not be surprised if it turned out that the custom content was intentionally made to look like an oversight. EA knows the modding community is good for a few extra simeoleans.

If someone knows of a site that has some additional screenshots, I'd like to see them. Some of the places I usually cruise for news, like Snooty Sims, are ignoring this completely.

<* Wes *>
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 9th Feb 2007 at 8:53 AM
The Italian official site (the american one, for some odd reason, opens a yahoo group...) has some screenshots that basically confirm your thoughts, and not only for the objects, but also for clothings and sims: look in particular at this picture:
:
look at the seams visible on the girl's arm and shoulder, the poor definition of the girl's dress and the sharp bends in the guy's hands...

Yes, I think that all the meshes and textures has been reduced (I didn't check them personally), and this might explain why Maxis claimed that CC from the Sims2 game is "not compatible"; it is technically compatible, but it gives problems to the LS game, slowing it and causing lags (as discussed in this thread at S2C).

I've also read that LS runs quite differently on laptops with a T&L-capable graphic card, but it's not required. In my desktop PC (the same I run the Sims2 on), it automatically set all the graphic options to minimum. I've changed them to set them at the same level I usually play the Sims2, and I get more or less the same results (i.e. lags and slowdowns with larger lots or crowded community lots)

Test Subject
#11 Old 9th Feb 2007 at 10:11 AM
Default screen shots
Quote: Originally posted by wes_h
If someone knows of a site that has some additional screenshots, I'd like to see them. Some of the places I usually cruise for news, like Snooty Sims, are ignoring this completely.
<* Wes *>

Here are some I took in the game trying out various cheats, custom content and so on.

http://surlysims.com/slspages/SLSscreens.htm

So far, custom content (not game mods) work fine between the two games. I can use the same cheats for SLS as I do in Sims 2. And, the modified userstartup.cheat file and modified cameras work too.

As I said in another post - its the same game in freestyle - just "lite" - I don't experience the "lag" others have talked about but it may be my machine, which was built to load Sims 2 with several gb custom content and be able to run other programs at the same time. Also, I need more time to crash and burn it. I am sure I can get there.

The thots of others Were light and fleeting,
Of lovers' meeting Or luck or fame.
Mine were of trouble, And mine were steady,
So I was ready When trouble came....A.E. Housman.
Test Subject
#12 Old 9th Feb 2007 at 8:09 PM
Might be a bit off topic but I'm curious about whether or not it would be possible to stick the LS hoods into TS2, I'm guessing because of the slight differences in bhavs or what not that this might not be as possible as I first suspected?
Instructor
#13 Old 9th Feb 2007 at 8:42 PM
if any ones interested i found this link:
http://thesims2.ea.com/about/sims_stories/index.php
Test Subject
#14 Old 9th Feb 2007 at 9:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mike19
if any ones interested i found this link:
http://thesims2.ea.com/about/sims_stories/index.php

Thanks for the shortcut I have been looking on their site with no success, I checked it out - I am thinking I will load it onto my travel laptop for play during travel. So far, it's been the same as Sims 2 without the detail or resources. I have put in about 1 gb of custom content and it all works fine with the game. Something in one of my creator's folders causes it to crash (custom content) and I am investigating that right now.

-----findings on custom content-----
I created a family using Sims 2 custom content and found that because of their limitations on the graphics, the Sims 2 content shows up and works fine but is not as detailed as in the Sims 2. If you are zoomed out you dont see much, if any change. If you zoom in tho, detail goes down the drain. If Sims 2 creations were optimally created, I don't think there would be any difference. But, I'm no programmer, so what do I know?

I have not experienced any lag but it may just be because of the machine I am using which is not the typical computer.

I also cannot get any mods to work at all but most cheats do, except for the blur removal, intprop does not work and quaxi's either. e.g. Merola's asp painting which worked for any ep since day one does not work and causes the game to crash.
---------

hope this helps anyone interested - onward and upward!

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#15 Old 10th Feb 2007 at 1:17 AM
As for the blur removal, the old Nightlife version created by Quaxi and posted on SexySims2 works fine with LS.
Merola's painting I guess conflicts with the scripting new system: the game, in story mode, needs to direct the sims to perform specific actions; I think that they changed something relevant in the way the sims are managed, and therefor all the sims-oriented hacks might give problems.

I've personally tested the SmarterLights hack, and it does NOT work...

Test Subject
#16 Old 10th Feb 2007 at 2:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
As for the blur removal, the old Nightlife version created by Quaxi and posted on SexySims2 works fine with LS.

Thanks for the heads up on the blur remover. Got and installed it, and voila - no more stupid blur, the whole idea of a sensor blur is just stupid. blah blah blah.

Using the testing cheat works the same as Merola's painting which is my fav but carrigon's oven doesn't work either. I figured if anything would, it would be the old hacks that have worked through all ep's.

ah well I continue to crash and burn, hack by hack - its the thing I live to do best in Sims

Test Subject
#17 Old 10th Feb 2007 at 5:40 AM
Can the new objects from Life Stories be incorporated in The Sims 2?
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 10th Feb 2007 at 7:41 AM
Will we be able to play around with the scripts and create our own stories or not??
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 10th Feb 2007 at 8:40 AM Last edited by saramkirk : 18th Feb 2007 at 3:37 AM. Reason: Add instructions.
Quote: Originally posted by JadeInsane
Might be a bit off topic but I'm curious about whether or not it would be possible to stick the LS hoods into TS2, I'm guessing because of the slight differences in bhavs or what not that this might not be as possible as I first suspected?

Yes, they can be stuck into TS2.

You guys may be interested in what I have discovered. The Life Stories neighborhoods, houses, and sims can apparently be fully used in Sims 2, with minimal editing of the files.

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s....html#msg203973

I think this is amusing.

On second thought, I guess I'll copy the post over here.

==========================================================

Okay. Here are my findings so far.

About Life Stories Lot Binned Houses

The six houses located in the LotCatalog folder of Life Stories can be safely moved to the LotCatalog folder of The Sims 2. They will show up in the game and sims can be moved into them. However, I have not tested whether everything works okay, and I have tested them only with all EPs installed. I have determined that at minimum you must have Uni, NL, and OFB. Content such as wallpapers and floors will vanish, as will most furniture, but the houses themselves are intact.

Here is a picture showing the Singles moving into the Contempo Cottage. Debug mode was on and no errors were generated on load.

LotCatalog for Life Stories: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims™ Life Stories\LotCatalog

LotCatalog for The Sims 2: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\LotCatalog

==========================================================

About Life Stories Neighborhoods, Houses, and Sims

I'm currently in the process of assessing whether the Life Stories neighborhoods and their houses can be made fully playable in Sims 2.

Here's my progress so far:

Getting to this point is trivial. You simply dump the three neighborhoods from Life Stories into the Neighborhoods folder of Sims 2, taking care not to include the Tutorial or the NeighborhoodsManager file, which would cause the game to crash when loading a neighborhood.

The houses crash on load. Yanking the families out is successful, but the empty houses still crash on load if they were occupied (others load okay). The sims themselves can be placed in empty lots with no problems.

However... this is how it works WITHOUT changing ANYTHING inside the files. Once a little editing is done, things get better.

When Version Number is deleted and Number ID's are replaced with Sims 2 versions (yanked from original Maxis 'hoods), the occupied houses load with no problems. However, only two houses were tested, so this is not for 100% sure. SEE INSTRUCTIONS AT END OF POST (it turned out to be not quite so simple).

Here's a shot of What's-his-face-Kincaid in his house, which loaded just fine.

INSTRUCTIONS

Note: You have to complete the stories before you can do this. Otherwise some of the lots will continue crashing.

Note 2: Many (but not all) of the lots go into a loading loop (and never load). To solve this, you must load each lot (occupied or not) in Life Stories, make a small change, and save. Vincent and Riley's stories need to be loaded at least once more after they reload into free play mode after completing the story.

Note 3: Your Sims 2 game must have Uni, NL, and OFB in order to accept the neighborhoods. Otherwise either the neighborhoods or the lots will crash on load. Life Stories includes bits of all three EPs.

Step 1: Go to C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\ and remove your Neighborhoods folder (to somewhere safe, of course).

Step 2: Go to C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims™ Life Stories\ and COPY the Neighborhoods folder over to C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\

Now your Life Stories neighborhoods are under C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\ Neighborhoods

Step 3: Open C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighborhoods\ and delete the file called NeighborhoodManager.package and the folder called Tutorial.

Step 4: Open C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighborhoods\ and you will see three folders called N001, N002, N003. Inside each one is a file called N00#_Neighborhood.package. Open these in SimPE.

Step 5: Delete Version Number. It will be an item on the very bottom of the list on the left-hand side. When you click on it, it will appear on the right-hand side. Then you right-click and choose Delete. Then save the file.

Step 6: I've made extracted ID Numbers available for download: http://www.box.net/public/75d090iaah After downloading this file, unzip it and you will have three folders called 1, 2, 3.

Step 7: Open one of the N00#_Neighborhood.package files and find ID Number on the left. Click on it and it will come up on the right. Right-click and select Replace. rowse to the folder called 1 (downloaded from me) and select either of the files inside. Save. Open the next file, and replace ID Number with the one from the folder called 2. Then do the third file.

geocities.com/saramkirk
Merge Pleasantview, Strangetown, Veronaville. Keep terrains/deco, houses, relationships!
Test Subject
#20 Old 10th Feb 2007 at 9:22 AM
awesome, thanks for that saramkirk, I was able to get the free play working in ts2 but was unable to get the others to work, I'll have to read that a bit more when I'm more awake and see what I can do in my game...
Test Subject
#21 Old 10th Feb 2007 at 3:38 PM
I realize it's a bit early to be thinking about this, but. Has anyone looked into editing/modifying the actual "Stories", where in we would be able to create our own and in turn offer them to the community for their playing pleasure?

Take care,
Alchemist
#22 Old 11th Feb 2007 at 2:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sulky
Here are some I took in the game trying out various cheats, custom content and so on.

Thank you very much.

I noticed some rendering oddities in the floor of house, but I am not sure if this is related to the custom content or not.

I noticed on the Italian site link Numenor provided that the "Sculpture - Venus" in some form is lurking over in the corner. I am wondering if LS might be the place where we have a use for all those "LOD15" meshes...

<* Wes *>
Test Subject
#23 Old 11th Feb 2007 at 3:28 PM
Is there any way to extract the new objects in life stories and import them into the sims 2 using simpe? And what about the new floors/walls?
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 12th Feb 2007 at 12:20 AM
I posted a (so far) short list of compatible hacks here: http://forums.sims2community.com/sh...79&postcount=23

geocities.com/saramkirk
Merge Pleasantview, Strangetown, Veronaville. Keep terrains/deco, houses, relationships!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#25 Old 12th Feb 2007 at 3:42 PM
Thanks, saramkirk: a useful list! I've added the Smart(er)Lights hack to the "not working" list-

Page 1 of 4