Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#26 Old 26th Mar 2005 at 12:33 AM
Thanks. I already posted it on this web. Go to this link below
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=53215
BYe! Thanks alot Again...
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 26th Mar 2005 at 4:39 PM
Jwoods i need you help again! Please help me. Post here so i know that you are willing to or not.
Instructor
#28 Old 26th Mar 2005 at 10:01 PM
unfortunately i need help too. im sooo stumped. i made a thread and posted this in another thread before that and a reply led me here. I've cloned the whodunnit lamp and i can't get the new clone to stop using the old texture for its shade. I tried adding ##0x1c050000! prefix right before all the items i have in the 0x88 text list, but that gives me the blue flashes for shade, groundshadow and light pattern. the lamp base texture is working though. I add them before the value and then in turn, clicked "change in all" then commit for each one so it looks like this.

##0x1c050000!lightingtablecolonial2_lampshade_bluesilk_lit

So this lamp is "borrowing" it's lampshade texture,right? Then Im told to go into the geometric node and select the block "tsmaterialmesh", but that isn't there. At your request, i can link u to that old thread.
Mesh Maestro
#29 Old 26th Mar 2005 at 10:31 PM
"unfortunately i need help too" What makes one "unfortunete" is one who is not big enough to ask for help... I am going to guess you are using SimPE .32? If you are do you have the "parent directory" check box checked when you clone? This box in your case I believe should be checked off...
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#30 Old 27th Mar 2005 at 1:23 AM
thefuzmixman:
Your package has two problem.
1) The GUID in the Material Overrides don't match the one you registered in the Object Data (you forgot to click "Update MMAT when you first registered the GUID).
2) The Text list 0x88 should be manually updated; SimPE doesn't do this, yet. Adding ##0x1c050000! is not enough: for each entry, replace the existing text with ##0x1c050000! + the name of the corresponding Material Definition (e.g. replace lightingtablecolonial_bulb_lit with ##0x1c050000!newCustomNameOfTheObject_1234567890_bulb_lit)
Test Subject
#31 Old 27th Mar 2005 at 6:37 PM
I made a bed, in the preview on SimPE it looks fine...yet when I test it in-game...it flashes blue. The bed uses its own texture and I see no sign of the default textures from the original even in game.

I have the latest version of SimPE...

Is there anything special I have to do?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#32 Old 27th Mar 2005 at 8:00 PM
All the beds "borrow" the bedding texture from the Colonial Ironwood Double Bed. Most of the single beds borrow the textures for the frame from the double bed version.

So, unless you have cloned the Colonial Double Bed, the clone still will try to use the "borrowed" textures, even if you created your own ones.

The question is: is it really necessary that your new bed uses its own textures?
If you modified the beddings mesh, you are likely to lose the animation on them. As for the frame, this problem doesn't exist, and so modifying the frame mesh (and even create a custom texture for it) is safe.

In the FAQ (on post #2), read the question (and the answer) about the new objects that use the original textures. But remember that the beds are complex objects, and maybe the method explained there won't fix your problem. In this case, post here your package.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Mesh Maestro
#33 Old 27th Mar 2005 at 9:25 PM
Thefuzmixman:

To start with when you chose to clone, you needed to click the "Load Parent Data" because your base object(like most of the lamps) borrow textures from the colonial table lamp in which I am unsure which lamp that is or I would say clone the parent(colonial table lamp).

I recloned choosing the load parent data... I then noticed you did not rename in the first "scene-o-graph". I renamed and clicked "update"... Next I saved your package with the proper format (best to put date at the end )... The next thing I did was re-import your mesh...
After naming, clicking "commit", adding the hash, and clicking commit again I renamed your objects shapes to custom names. I did this because the lamps are as well complex objects that borrow textures; by giving the shapes custom names it enabled the proper textures in game... Next, I went to check the GUID.... As Numenor stated above your GUID was invalid (forgot to click "update MMAT's and commit I guess... )". I re-imported your textures and saved... It seems to work fine now... One hitch is that I couldn't get the shade to lighten when turned on but the textures do show... I am going to make the assumption that because there is a separate MMAT and Texture for the Lamp Shade unlit that would mean technically your object would need another shape to point at the MMAT and Texture(Shade unlit) I hope this helped...

Happy Easter to all...
Test Subject
#34 Old 27th Mar 2005 at 11:11 PM Last edited by Spitze : 28th Mar 2005 at 1:20 AM.
I created this bed through the Colonial Double bed. The reason why I am not using the original bedding is because the UV mapping on this bed is different. The current bedsheet I have is the default. Also I did not change the bedding mesh.

The Q&A doesn't work for me, because that area does not exist on my object, neither does anything similar to it.

Here is my rather large bed file.

Thanks for the help.

www.thesimszone.com
"Unless people are educated, they will be susceptible to the propaganda of jehadi forces. Illiteracy is a fertile soul for the growth of fundamentalism"
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#35 Old 28th Mar 2005 at 12:26 AM
I've examined your package. I don't understand: if you haven't modified the bedding mesh, then why have you made a new UV map for it?
If you avoid to change anything on the bedding, maybe it's possible to keep the original one (with the animations), and change only the frame. It's a hard work, though...
Let me take a deeper look.
Mesh Maestro
#36 Old 28th Mar 2005 at 12:28 AM Last edited by JWoods : 28th Mar 2005 at 1:30 AM.
Here is your bed working fine in the game... Please download it and also remove your package from the above thread as I will remove mine from here after you download it... The problem with the bed was one I had encountered some time ago when I made my first bed... There are three shapes called bedding... The trick to making beds is to extract the three "bedding" shapes individually... next import into your 3D editor, the frame and oppacity plane... once they are in your 3D editor import each of the 3 "bedding" shapes you extracted. After each "bedding" shape is imported into your 3D editor re-name it "bedding1, bedding2, bedding3". Now you will have 5 shapes in all in your editor, export as wavefront object and put through Delphy's mesh importer as normal... Next, in SimPE replace your mesh as normal... After you have named it(commit), assigned the hash(commit) and "fixed integrity" go down to the "items 3" tab and cahnge "bedding1, bedding2 and, bedding3 to "bedding". Then we register our GUID's and replace our textures and we have a bed in the Sims 2...
Screenshots

Reading is the key to all knowledge, math is the key to everything.
Instructor
#37 Old 28th Mar 2005 at 12:39 AM Last edited by thefuzmixman : 28th Mar 2005 at 1:14 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by JWoods
Thefuzmixman:

To start with when you chose to clone, you needed to click the "Load Parent Data" because your base object(like most of the lamps) borrow textures from the colonial table lamp in which I am unsure which lamp that is or I would say clone the parent(colonial table lamp).

I recloned choosing the load parent data... I then noticed you did not rename in the first "scene-o-graph". I renamed and clicked "update"... Next I saved your package with the proper format (best to put date at the end )... The next thing I did was re-import your mesh...
After naming, clicking "commit", adding the hash, and clicking commit again I renamed your objects shapes to custom names. I did this because the lamps are as well complex objects that borrow textures; by giving the shapes custom names it enabled the proper textures in game... Next, I went to check the GUID.... As Numenor stated above your GUID was invalid (forgot to click "update MMAT's and commit I guess... )". I re-imported your textures and saved... It seems to work fine now... One hitch is that I couldn't get the shade to lighten when turned on but the textures do show... I am going to make the assumption that because there is a separate MMAT and Texture for the Lamp Shade unlit that would mean technically your object would need another shape to point at the MMAT and Texture(Shade unlit) I hope this helped...

Happy Easter to all...

Happy Easter to you as well. Thank you so much for helping me out.
The very first thing i noticed when i opened the new package is that you cloned a different lamp. Im wondering if i was also having problems because of the particular lamp i chose? Next i noticed that there were now 3 files in the GMDC, instead of two. One is my object, and also the pile of debrees. But now i also see a floor lamp is there as well? So instead of replacing the old object, you instead added another gmdc entry?

xD
Mesh Maestro
#38 Old 28th Mar 2005 at 1:01 AM
I had to re-clone because in the scene-o-graph you seemed to have forgotten to name or click update...

Also upon examining the package I noticed that there was An MMAT and a Texture for the shade lit and unlit... This tells me you were short one shape in your object that is why I changed the clone base object... Your 6th shape is a duplicate of the shade... one shade for "lit" and one for "unlit".

You see the floor lamp because it is part of the parent data... In you case you needed the parent data because otherwise the "unlit" Texture and MMAT would not be included in the file... Due to the complexity of the lamps in general(pointing here and there to other files) it was difficult to figure why the shade wouldn't illuminate....

If you like you can extract your 1st gdmc and then replace the 2nd(floor lamp) with it... I do not seeing this as doing anything though... You could try experimenting and deleting the extra gdmc and see if the object behaves the same... I didn't do this because the package at least showed the green shade... LOL
Instructor
#39 Old 28th Mar 2005 at 1:21 AM
well i see. yea, after cloning that same lamp i saw that SimPE added the parent data automatically. I noticed that the texture doesn't light up, but like you said... It least it shows up! i appreciate so much the help. I can just about release this. just need to do the shade texture. the other thing was just to test it.
Test Subject
#40 Old 28th Mar 2005 at 1:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JWoods
Here is your bed working fine in the game... Please download it and also remove your package from the above thread as I will remove mine from here after you download it... The problem with the bed was one I had encountered some time ago when I made my first bed... There are three shapes called bedding... The trick to making beds is to extract the three "bedding" shapes individually... next import into your 3D editor, the frame and oppacity plane... once they are in your 3D editor import each of the 3 "bedding" shapes you extracted. After each "bedding" shape is imported into your 3D editor re-name it "bedding1, bedding2, bedding3". Now you will have 5 shapes in all in your editor, export as wavefront object and put through Delphy's mesh importer as normal... Next, in SimPE replace your mesh as normal... After you have named it(commit), assigned the hash(commit) and "fixed integrity" go down to the "items 3" tab and cahnge "bedding1, bedding2 and, bedding3 to "bedding". Then we register our GUID's and replace our textures and we have a bed in the Sims 2...

Thanks, I actually was thinking about looking into that "phenomenon" but go too frustrated.

I have downloaded and deleted my attachment.

Thank you VERY much :D

www.thesimszone.com
"Unless people are educated, they will be susceptible to the propaganda of jehadi forces. Illiteracy is a fertile soul for the growth of fundamentalism"
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#41 Old 28th Mar 2005 at 1:26 AM Last edited by Numenor : 28th Mar 2005 at 6:26 PM. Reason: Attachment removed
JWoods, does your bed have the animations on the bedsheets? I didn't know it was possible to import a mesh retaining the animations...

Anyway, since I've realized too late that you were working on this bed, too, in the meantime I've applied my method; and much to my surprise it worked!

My modded bed uses all the beddings from the colonial double bed, has the new frame (recolourable) and retained all the animations on the bedding.

I'm posting my bed, too, so that Spitze can test both of them (I'll remove my attachment, too, as soon as Spitze will remove his).

EDIT: seems that I've arrived too late another time... I'll leave my attachment until tomorrow...
Screenshots

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Mesh Maestro
#42 Old 28th Mar 2005 at 1:37 AM
I did not even check that.... I think it's agood thing that we both look into the files... We get to learn something too... No the annimations did not work, I just went and checked them.... I am guessing this would be due to the extra (bedding)?
Mesh Maestro
#43 Old 28th Mar 2005 at 1:41 AM
Ah... I just looked at the gdmc's and shape files... Seems your theory of adding the frame to the shadow gdmc works... Is it nessacary to have the "old frame" shape in the first gdmc? Just curious...
Instructor
#44 Old 28th Mar 2005 at 1:42 AM
hey Nume i never did thank you for looking at my package as well. i tried what you told me to do, but i kept screwing up the texture links. i guess cloning the another object was definitely needed in my case, or even if not needed, i will never touch that whodunnit lamp again!
Test Subject
#45 Old 28th Mar 2005 at 4:20 AM Last edited by Spitze : 28th Mar 2005 at 4:45 AM.
Thanks Numenor,
How did you get the shadows the map correctly?

When I export the 2nd GDC where the new frame is located (I made a tad bobo on the depth of the legs ), and import the GDC back in the shadows mess up. I didn't touch the shadows. I am guessing that in the import-export process, the shadow UVs broke out of their original place???

Thanks again...

EDIT: NM, figured it out. I have found the shadows to be ugly regardless, because the original Colonial has very dark shadows. Its still works. Through all this I hope I understand what you exactly did, because it works easier in 3D modeling to just see the frame. Thanks! :D
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#46 Old 28th Mar 2005 at 8:58 AM
JWoods, the problem with the animation is not caused by the multiple "bedding" subset. Simply, Delphy's plugin and the MeshTool can't manage the GMDC->OBJ->GMDC data transfer without losing some info.

The "oldframe" is there because I couldn't find a way to delete it . Since no Shape actually refers to it, the game ignores the related data.

As for the indoor shadows (the groundshadow, southwallshadow...), I edited the Shape to make it point to the original shadow texture, instead of the "custom" ones contained in the package (that anyway were identical to the originals). Modifying the GMDC that contain the shadow meshes shouldn't alter anything: if editing the frame you have a result to mess up the shadow, there's something you can do in the 3D program; the MeshTool preserves correctly the shadow UVmap.
The outdoor shadows, though I haven't tested, should be completely missing (Quaxi and I are studying a new implementation in SimPE that should preserve them when cloning the objects).

Field Researcher
#47 Old 28th Mar 2005 at 5:17 PM
I read somewhere (I think it was a post by WDSBrianna - but don't quote me on that) that when you just want to change the shape of a bed frame (without interfering at all with the bedding) you export only the frame. Is that redundant information now?

Just frame and shadows perhaps?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#48 Old 28th Mar 2005 at 6:31 PM
As far as I know, if in a GMDC there are more then one mesh (e.g. the frame and all the shadows), you can export only some of them, unchecking the meshes that you don't want to export. But after you have edited the exported mesh, you can't add them to the existing meshes: the MeshTool replaces the whole GMDC; therefore, if you export only the frame, you lose all the other meshes.

The only correct way to manage the meshes is the one suggested by JWoods: export all the meshes, edit all of them in the 3D program (adjusting/scaling/moving the shadows, as well), and reimport all of them in the GMDC.
That's what I've done.

Field Researcher
#49 Old 28th Mar 2005 at 6:37 PM Last edited by Samekh : 28th Mar 2005 at 7:14 PM.
I've just found that out. I'm going to have a look to see if any of the bed meshes group the frame with the shadows rather than the bedding because, even without altering the bedding in the 3d editor, it reimports into the game as blocky.

Thanks for your help though. I may be back with a more technical question soon..

He ran away!

No. None of the beds have gmdcs where the shadows are grouped with the frame.

I wonder if it's possible to juggle the items in the gmdcs of a cloned bed or make a completely new gmdc just for the frame and delete the frame item from the existing gmdc?

Clone the gmdc with the frame and replace it with a SimPE file with only a frame mesh in it perhaps? That seems logical Samekh!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#50 Old 28th Mar 2005 at 7:32 PM
No, there are no beds having the frame grouped with the shadows. I had to modify the one by Spitze in this way to make it work.
AFAIK, there's no way to delete a mesh from a GMDC: I had to rename it in order to make the game ignore it.

Page 2 of 15