Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Nov 2011 at 5:06 AM
adding new mesh to old one
Hi. I'm trying to create a sign for a fast food place. The kind of sign you see when your in the drive thru lane.
I was thinking it would be easy to make out of a painting and use the move objects cheat to put it in place. However it would be better and more realistic to have it on a post of some sort, rather than floating in the air.
So I was wondering if I could clone a painting and then add a new mesh to the package..the post.
Would I be able to add a new mesh or new part to the existing one..such as you might do if you were to add a stencil..or is it not possible to do that with a new part?
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 12th Nov 2011 at 8:00 AM
Clone a sign instead of a painting and start from there.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Nov 2011 at 12:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
Clone a sign instead of a painting and start from there.

Thanks .yeah should have thought of that.
I'm still wondering though, can you add another group to an existing package?
I'm definitely going the sign cloning route with the Drive Thru sign, but I'm still wondering if it's possible to add a new group to an existing item.
For instance. I cloned a recycle bin to use as a fast food trash can. Only two problems. it's got the recycle symbol on the mask.I guess just replacing the mask with my own will get rid of that. But I wanted to put a stack of trays on top. So then I'd have that same problem.
The recycle bin has no texture , only a pattern,blue..which is fine, but if I made the trays a part of the old group they would also be blue. So for this, I am also trying to figure out how add an extra group, so that I can put a different pattern(color)on the trays.
Alchemist
#4 Old 13th Nov 2011 at 2:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tuesday7
Thanks .yeah should have thought of that.
I'm still wondering though, can you add another group to an existing package?
I'm definitely going the sign cloning route with the Drive Thru sign, but I'm still wondering if it's possible to add a new group to an existing item.
For instance. I cloned a recycle bin to use as a fast food trash can. Only two problems. it's got the recycle symbol on the mask.I guess just replacing the mask with my own will get rid of that. But I wanted to put a stack of trays on top. So then I'd have that same problem.
The recycle bin has no texture , only a pattern,blue..which is fine, but if I made the trays a part of the old group they would also be blue. So for this, I am also trying to figure out how add an extra group, so that I can put a different pattern(color)on the trays.
It sounds like what you're wanting to do is add a fourth channel to a three channel object. As far as I know there is no way to do that no matter which tool you're using.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 13th Nov 2011 at 3:56 AM
I think the issue isn't adding a forth channel but making the third work. It requires you to paint Pure Blue, #0000FF, on the mask where the trays are mapped. Then enable the channel.

Facebook | Currently On Hiatus | Twitter
Current Works-In-Progress: 0
Future Car | 2012 EA Cars | Car Parts | Jet Plane | Telephone Table | Concept Car
Traditional Bed Set | Living Set | 82 Slate Roofs | 1/2-Tile Kitchen Set | Distant Terrains | Kids Bedroom
Alchemist
#6 Old 13th Nov 2011 at 4:49 AM
Well I got curious and looked at the bins. Both the large and small bins use the second channel...the green one...for the recycle image. If you don't want that on your object anyway there's no reason you can't use that channel for your trays. Just map your trays and make the part of the mask where you've mapped them the same green as the recycle image has...ie...pure green. The large bin is already using the third channel for a bar on the bin. So if you're using that one and want a third channel you wouldn't need to enable it you could just map whatever you want onto a part of the map that you then paint pure blue.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Nov 2011 at 3:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
Well I got curious and looked at the bins. Both the large and small bins use the second channel...the green one...for the recycle image. If you don't want that on your object anyway there's no reason you can't use that channel for your trays. Just map your trays and make the part of the mask where you've mapped them the same green as the recycle image has...ie...pure green. The large bin is already using the third channel for a bar on the bin. So if you're using that one and want a third channel you wouldn't need to enable it you could just map whatever you want onto a part of the map that you then paint pure blue.

Okay thanks for looking.
I'm going copy your post to follow cause I'm not that experienced with this stuff yet. It makes sense what you are saying I just hope I can do it the right way.lol
wish me luck, and thanks everyone.