Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Mar 2010 at 11:50 AM
Default 3D Tools Query
How many people out there that want to use 3D programs other than MilkShape or Blender. Most of these have API/SDK of sorts. I play a bit with Carrara 6 as well and I looked last night to see if it would be possible to write an importer/exporter for that and it is possible. I'll most probably write a set for Carrara just for the hell of it, but if there are others with a freely distributed API/SDK I might be able to have a look at those, but I promise nothing as I'm not starting before I've completed the Blender ones.

The Carrara one for instance is a C++ SDK.
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 12th Mar 2010 at 12:24 PM
I honestly haven't seen that many people using that particular program. Milkshape, Blender, Wings3D and 3DS Max are the most commonly used programs for meshing - in that order. Free or inexpensive counts for a lot when it comes to this stuff - most creators are hobbyists and don't have the money to spend hundreds on a program just to make game stuff. It might be useful for someone who already has the program for school or whatnot, but IMO, concentrating on really good Blender plugins for both objects and sim-content like hair/clothes would be the most useful.

Just ran a quick search and there've been very little questions regarding using Carrara for creation - a couple mentions but that's about it. For more popular programs like 3DS Max, we've had maaaaaany queries regarding how to use it for modding. And Blender being free is a BIG deal to the younger folks who may not be able to spend -anything- on a 3D program, unable to convince their parents.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Mar 2010 at 12:35 PM
Thanks HP. I agree with you that a good set for Blender is necessary which is why I'll not work on any others before finishing those. I am however open to writing other importers/exporters if there is demand. The Carrara set would be for myself as extra practise, but I would like to apply the knowledge from writing the Blender ones a bit further if possible.