Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#26 Old 9th Jul 2008 at 5:25 PM Last edited by SNIG : 9th Jul 2008 at 5:56 PM. Reason: Update for sound in locale/language files
To reorganize music, [Im running base-ep7 so it might be a little different] put any and all extracted files [and any others you'd like to play] into documents/eagames/sims2/music/ and into the desired station folder. With Freetime installed you can create custom radio stations in the sound options menu, or with any other expansion pack, you can deselect all the original songs in an existing station and select all the songs you've put into the station folder out-game. Off-hand, I think you can reorganize them ingame [so song a plays before song b], but either the game shuffles the play or you have to do that out-game again.

As for extracting Superstar music, or any Sims 1 music, if I remember correctly, all the files are under the respectable expansion packs, and all in open-air formats like .mp3 that you can just copy paste in explorer. I haven't checked recently however, and they may be in ogg format or something that requires a little extra punch, but anything like that just needs a little winamp and a plugin to play just as well or better than any mp3 format.

To finish this epic reply, I would like to pop the question as to the extraction of other instrumental ingame music, specifically the synthesizer in Freetime. What I already know is the music files are NOT in the locale, language folders, my best guess was the misc sound files in freetime, but those seem to be unplayable as well. I have devised a method of finding them, not necessarily extracting and playing them, but finding them at least. If you'll just bare with me I'll tell you the problem.
All the Object files in all the expansion packs are riddled with AUDIO REFERENCE FILES, which reference sound files, both epic and sfx short, to their respectable locations--this is maxis' way of making sound files virtually tamper-proof. I have not tried to read the audio reference files specifically, but I assume they house a file direction with slashes and things ending in an audio file[s] with a [hidden?] package file as the second to last directory instruction. This makes it sound easy, but from what I do know after glancing at the mess of code in the audio reference files is that most if not all the locations are in an explorer directory equivalent [hexa-directories?] that uses instances or something like that [yes, i admit it, im all lost deep down inside]. To make it worse, all the audio reference files are lumped together in what we all know of the horrendously crowded single object file that comes with every expansion pack. The only thing that comes close to solving this is the miraculous power of Simpe, which can read the miles of code in a jiffy just as the Sims game does itself, thus sorting out which files go to which object. But, another roadblock, SimPE does not include aud ref files in the standard include-"everything" clone in the object workshop. The best solution I can see is a stand-alone temporary clone of the synthesizer or any other instrument from the Sims in which SimPE [in order to make it fully stand-alone] would include every single essential file save for the Sims engine itself, we could then extract all the [complete] audio files from the resulting package[s] and find ourselves with a working or non-working collection of the sythesizers necessary sound files, which may or may not include both the coveted music files themselves and any and all sfx files such as the off-tune note played when a sim stops playing abruptly.

And there you have it. I don't know what else to say, just start pointing out all the flaws in my epic speech and Ill start answering until we all make an understanding.

With an extra dose of confusion,
SNIG

UPDATE: I checked for sound in locale files [again, i can only check the files I have for expansions I have installed, which are base-ep7, no stuffpacks] there is no other collection of audio hidden in res/locale/language for any episode save for pets, where there is a series of "pop" sound packages in seprate language folders. The specific folders are different than the ones chosen to harbor the DJ booth sounds, although I didn't take the time to record which. There is also an instance where three files extracted from seprate languages will have the same name, or at least thats what happened to me. I don't know if these are all the same tracks, but I played it safe and just renamed them.
Unfortunatly this seems to be an isolated way of storing instrumental files :[
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 19th Sep 2008 at 3:14 PM
Perhaps this is out of place but i have the sims 2 deluxe(normal sims 2 + nightlife) the path given to find the tracks is

1,1,TSData\Res\Locale\Spanish\Sound\Housemix.package
and so forth.

there are no Sound folders in any of the locale folders, is this because the sims 2 deluxe uses a different system?
Page 2 of 2