Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Aug 2012 at 6:43 PM
Default Telling a story in tomb building... longer texts?
Hi.

I'm planning on building a series of tombs for a world I'm making, and I want to tell the story of the town's hidden secrets through a few tombs that the player can explore.

Problem is that the TNS Text entries are really short if you want to tell a compelling story. Does anyone know if there is a mod or anything a guy can do to allow for longer message texts to pop up during exploration?

I could, of course, use multiple plaques... but that would make it really messy, and could also cause trouble for some people getting the correct order to read it all.

Another thing that would be useful is if there are any shiftable tomb plaques, so I can put them underneath some paintings (without putting the paintings too high up on the wall).

Any help would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 4:56 PM
May I bump this? I have the same problem.
Is there any way to place texts for an exploring sim to read other than in lot or household descriptions.

Is it possible to export a lot with sim-made photographs in it? If so, can they be edited (to show a text graphic instead of the original subject)?

Did anyone get the message-upon-entry method to work? A message can be entered as activated behaviour when triggered by unfogging a room. But in a row of tests it did'nt work for me

English is my second language. Please don't be mean about my mistakes :)
Test Subject
#3 Old 3rd Feb 2015 at 12:27 PM Last edited by Hakikt : 3rd Feb 2015 at 4:00 PM. Reason: Precision
Hi,

You can put text on every "trigger" activation made. Even a trap who "activate" can deliver a text message. I just advise to avoid the hidden pannel for texts unless you like to get 350 messages in a row saying the same thing ^^

Best way i have find is to use the floor switch with two entry of text : "Step on" you put a message, "step off" you put the end of the message. If you need additionnal text you simply create another floor switch, hidden, who only appear when the first floor switch is "step on" or "step off".

It seems its also feasible to get several pages on text plaques but i have still not find the exact way to do so. Anyway text plaque are annoying because you can't edit the text once put on it (not even read what is written ... hem ...). Floor switch, wall hole or floor hole are much better because you can edit and correct them if needed.

Only downside of this method, you need the switch to actually "do" something for the trigger to work. You can use stupid orders like "close door" for "step on" and "open door" for "step off" so it has no effect on the game whatsoever. I tend to use "unhide" or "unlock" something else for "step on" and "disappear" on itself for "step off".

+1 shiftable tomb plaque (and almost everything in fact ... its so boring non shiftable wall objects ...)

I could add it would be cool recolorable tomb plaque too. Stone for my hi-tech Umbrella research laboratory looks weird EDIT : I mean for the key pannel, plaque are already colorable)

PS : I assume you know a little about tomb building so my explainations should be clear but if not let me know i will try to detail more ^^
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 30th Mar 2015 at 9:54 PM
That are some really good ideas, thank you

I use the trigger text on unfogging a room quite often. And the hidden floor plates. Those are nifty. Don't like the wall plaques either, it just seems so unnatural for storytelling if the text is actually, literally, written on the walls.

What I found extremely useful is the trigger text on removing (picking up) objects from pedestals or those treasure things. I would set one to spawn, say, a high value gem, and the text upon taking the gold would tell the player that he has found an exquisite ring with the previous owner's initals or something like that. On a (table-looking) pedestal, they might find a letter (small deco item), and the trigger text reads the letter's contents (and letters are a great way to tell a lot of story in very little text). Pedestals can hold any small deco item, and they are counter height, so with moveobjects they can be put in a counter so that it looks like the object is standing on the counter.

Now I don't find it so bad that you can't trow two Pages of text at a player when he enters a building, figured I wouldn't like that in a tomb myself ^^ The rather short trigger texts are quite long enough to drop hints at the player. You can create huge mystery adventures with bits and pieces strewn accross several lots, hidden in the buildings and surroundings, even in the townies' descriptions, so that a player can unravel a story piece by piece

English is my second language. Please don't be mean about my mistakes :)
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 31st Mar 2015 at 4:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dear_dori

Is it possible to export a lot with sim-made photographs in it? If so, can they be edited (to show a text graphic instead of the original subject)?

I dont know if this will help you, but when my sim family went to a new neighborhood a picture taken with another sim (not in my family) was just a grey image in the new world.
So these files might be stored in the save.

Im not a native speaker