Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Aug 2013 at 10:15 AM
Default TS4 Screenshots!
The first screenshots of TS4 have leaked! Check them out and chime in with your opinions in our TS4 discussion thread about it!

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
3 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Fresh fruit from the bigot tree
#2 Old 18th Aug 2013 at 10:31 PM
When I get addict to it, I will blame you.

Do not install pescado's mod. It is the one producing the errors it warns you about. Get Twallan's instead. It cleans your save file and prevents glitches.
Test Subject
#3 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 6:18 AM
Default The Sims 4 first look
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
The first screenshots of TS4 have leaked! Check them out and chime in with your opinions in our TS4 discussion thread about it!

After having the first look at the trailer I can say that the hair in Sims 4 looks really bad and the games is too cartoonish like the sims social. I had hoped for better graphics. The CAS customisation tools look promising though.

Would be great if there was some mention about te game engine. Since the game engine for the sims 3 was not well done. It couldn't use the all the needed resources of a computer. Even if you have a beast of a computer the lag was horrendous. Not to mention all the other annoying bugs. Like that you couldn't play a legacy family because the savegame easily got corrupted. I will not even start with all the Game Launcher problems...

Even though all the problems, I loved the Sims 3 and was happy playing it.

When it comes to The Sims 4 I expected a bit more from EA. For example better graphics. I wasn't impressed by the first look video at all, so I hope they will get back to us Sims fans with something more promising. The UI was not shown in the video. I hope they will give a glimpse of it soon.

A not so impressed simmer.
/C
Test Subject
#4 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 8:43 PM
Calliopeia, I couldn't agree with you more. The first official trailer looked like crap, they spent too much time with the people running to see what was happening and didn't spend enough time with the Sims. I'm not trying to bash EA or anything like that because I appreciate the time and quality that goes into making the Sims, but I feel like they need to have a lot more consideration into play of what people want. What I saw in the newest trailer was nothing like what they showed a year ago, when everything looked a sneeze away from real life. I feel like they took a huge step back with the Houses and how they look very very very cartoonish. Overall I'd say this game would be good for people who haven't played Sims before and are looking to hop onto the franchise.
Like was stated before the CAS looks promising and the traits and emotions look promising too, I was hoping more of a good mix between Sims 2 and Sims 3 since I know many simmer who play either because they don't like how to the Sims/graphics look in the other game.

Also I'm hoping they don't do the money pig thing and make the first game SO unenjoyable that you have to buy ALL of the expansion packs...
So far i'm actually very dissapointed...We give them three or so years to write a hit, and this one is a real downer...
But Despite all that i'm still optimistic that they're like the friend that can't take a good picture of you so you have to see for yourself and then you find out you actually really like it.... :]
Test Subject
#5 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 2:20 AM
I actually quite like it so far. The new CAS looks awesome, and the emotional states look promising. The sims' movements and facial expressions look a lot more natural than in previous games, and I'm really pleased with the new ability to customise sims' bodies without having to download megabytes of bodyshapes or sliders. The new build mode looks interesting, too, although I'm sure it would take a while for me to adjust to it.
The only thing I'm particularly unhappy with is the hair. When the first pictures of TS4 were released, I was actually assuming that the hair was kind of a prototype, and that they'd change the texture and alpha later. Here's hoping that defaults and conversions won't be too hard to make.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 2nd Sep 2013 at 8:10 AM
The graphics are, uh...

Well.

I have nothing against cartoony and I woulda been disappointed if they took the hyperrealistic route, but this feels more cheap than stylized or lively. =P
Test Subject
#7 Old 5th Sep 2013 at 9:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by calliopeia
After having the first look at the trailer I can say that the hair in Sims 4 looks really bad and the games is too cartoonish like the sims social. I had hoped for better graphics. The CAS customisation tools look promising though.

When it comes to The Sims 4 I expected a bit more from EA. For example better graphics. I wasn't impressed by the first look video at all, so I hope they will get back to us Sims fans with something more promising. The UI was not shown in the video. I hope they will give a glimpse of it soon.

/C

I totally agree! I was soo excited when I heard about Sims 4, since I'm not too keen on Sims 3 and I was dying for better graphics and gameplay than what Sims 2 could give me (.. and it keeps crashing all the time). Then I saw some pictures, and my heart just dropped. It looks waaay too cartonish, like you said. And what's sad is I really like the fact that you can customize your sim to such an extent, and I want to use it!! ... if only they looked more real.

I want it to be more like other games (Tomb raider and The Last of Us comes to mind) where they strive to make the characters look more like real humans. And I understand that it will demand more of people's computers, and they want to sell to as many people as possible, even those with a bit... how to say it? Slow computer? (English is not my native language).

It just makes me sad. Now I have to wait for Sims 5 or something, to get better graphics, while battling with Sims 2 - still the best game in the series to date in my humble opinion.

NINJA EDIT: One of the pictures on this page: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=510188 the one with the redheaded girl... it reminds me of Disney for some reason. Fun perhaps if I want that kind of enviroment. But not if I want them to look more real. But perhaps it will better with CC.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 5th Sep 2013 at 11:59 PM
upon looking at the pictures I feel a bit disappointed, the hair looks... hard??? And they do look like the sims social I kind of feel like they copied some codes and then just edited them, I mean I'm sure that didn't happen but it looks kind of like comic book? Which is good but I like more 3d and less marble ? I don't know it just looks not as good as I was hoping but maybe it will look different when I have the game myself? Plus I don't know maybe its just those pictures?

Sims for for life! My opinion doesn't really matter but I like to share it anyways. :)
simblr
Test Subject
#9 Old 7th Sep 2013 at 9:28 PM
I'm a really BIG Sims fan, and seeing the poor development of The Sims 4 hurt.

I love the advanced CAS editing and the in-depth emotions and all, but it really looks like a cross between the Sims 2 and the Sims 1.
I've played the Sims 1 right up until the Sims 3, and I've always been excited for the next one.
This however, not so much. Why didn't EA warn us before building such hype for the game?
Test Subject
#10 Old 18th Sep 2013 at 12:14 AM
I agree with the comments posted here, and personally feel that Sims 4 is going to be a great letdown for many. When the first trailers appeared on youtube, I like so many, commented on how bad the graphics looked. Many people commented to say that they did not mind the cartoonish graphics, for them gameplay was more important. I totally disagreed. When so many of us said we had expected more realistic graphics, we did NOT mean totally human looking characters, but something less cartoonish than the Sims 3 characters.
Something that had a better realism....a "WOW" factor. Something more in line with modern day game graphics.

As an "older" Sims player, I have played Sims 1,2 and 3, and spent money upgrading my older computer to cater for the graphic requirements of Sims 3. Sadly it appears to me, the Sims 4 graphics look a cross between Sims 1 & 2 so it will play on low end machines.
I personally feel EA has missed a great opportunity here, but possibly their approach is now for a new and younger Sim player market.
My heart sank when I saw Sims 4, and I have noted many comments from people saying that hopefully Sims 5 will be better....and we haven't yet got Sims 4 !
I certainly will not be going through the costly process again, of buying the main game and all the relevant expansion packs. If this is the way the Sims is going, I believe that I have reached the end of the line.

I did not intend this to be a negative post, but after waiting with so much hope for Sims 4, I am SO disappointed. I truly hope EA sees posts like this and has a serious rethink before Sims 4 is released, but as I said earlier, this all depends on what their market strategy is.

Thanks for reading, and kind regards.
Test Subject
#11 Old 26th Nov 2013 at 9:51 AM
I can not wait!
Instructor
#12 Old 8th Mar 2014 at 4:06 AM
EA did not focus on the graphics though, but they focus on the gameplay of it... so they have time to polish the TS4 gameplay and will not end up like the TS3... If that's what the game to be lag free and glitch free then I'll choose the cartoonish graphics instead of their previous game play with so many issues. (I can't play my legacy co'z the save game always get me into errors) Sims 3 have many game issues and consumed many memory storage, so I hope this next generation of Sims would be near perfect as we expect.

"Keep Calm and Play with STYLE"
#My Avatar: Nick Johnson
Download Policy
MrDensilter tumblr account.
Hitman Legacy Challenge
Hitman Challenge MTS
The Green House Challenge
Test Subject
#13 Old 29th Mar 2014 at 2:11 PM
I suppose the cartoony graphics aren't all that bad.
Test Subject
#14 Old 31st Mar 2014 at 10:53 PM
I really need to catch up.
Test Subject
#15 Old 16th Apr 2014 at 9:27 PM
Default Ugh kill it with fire.
I really have no intention of buying Sims 4. They support for sims 3 was so horrible it took the modding community to make the game playable. They offered little content, the released a bunch of expansions with little to no content either and what they do offer is inferior to community created cc. Then they have the b@lls to release "premium content" for premium prices, most of which were based of mods someone else created. Ugh. Despite all of that, I still play 3 because the game is still enjoyable thanks to, well, you guys MTS. I am unwilling to be their cash cow for sims 4, which looks gimmicky with worse graphics. It's like they blended the worst parts of all 3 games, threw in a little bit of sims social, and told us it was a completely new game. They are the Red Hot Chili Peppers, they had a hit once, but after re releasing the same shit and infringing on their own copyrights their time has come and gone. Have some dignity and hang it up already.
Theorist
#16 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 4:51 PM
One thing that disturbs me still is the complete lack of mention of children or toddlers. EA is gearing the game so far towards the younger audience trying to get new players to join the franchise they forget that it's the older, adult players who have the credit cards. Gearing it towards children is why they spend all of their time and focus on young adults. Kids want to know what it is like to be a grownup. Adults want to know what it is like to have a family. Especially for people who won't or can't have children like myself it would be nice to be able to at least play with virtual children. But EA completely disregards them completely as unimportant.

To be entirely honest here, this game does not appeal to me at all. Most of the time I make the sims I want, age them down to toddlers, give them parents, then grown them up into the sim I want them to be. YA/A are useless to me and I've never even played the game long enough to get an elder, though I play on epic lifespan so that takes days and days.

from the looks of the graphics and textures (hair, I'm looking at you) it's become apparent that EA has become so comfortable with modders and CC makers picking up their slack they've just stopped bothering to try at all anymore. From the looks of the sims 4, I'd be more willing to pirate the content and pay the modder because they're the ones doing all of the hard work.