Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#76 Old 2nd Apr 2006 at 5:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by morten8035
i have made a car but. it need animation.
where do i find a easy and short tutorial to how to add animation at a car?

Use standart animation.
Advertisement
Instructor
#77 Old 2nd Apr 2006 at 1:55 PM
How do i do that?

Unauthorized incoming post!
Test Subject
#78 Old 1st Jul 2006 at 12:58 AM Last edited by Wonkey : 1st Jul 2006 at 7:35 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by willem81
6. Next step is the uv-mapping. You need to export your model using the “The Sims 2 GMDC exporter V2.16” to a SimPE file. After that you need to save the model as *.ms3d. This *.ms3d file you need to open in LithUnWrap. In LithUnWrap you create your uv-map. Once you have opened this uv-mapped *.ms3d in Milkshape you need to copy and past the comments belonging to each joint from the model you saved as a SimPE file. LithUnWrap is losing this comments for some reason.
I'm not going to explain this, there is a tutorial here: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=79954. (It's for UVMapper Classic, but the basics are the same.)

Hi, im just having a little trouble with the uv mapping part. after creating a uv map, are you meant to save the mesh again in LithUnWrap as an .ms3d file (File>Model>Save) or do something else? because when i save it as a .ms3d file, it says that i have too many vertices and won't let me save, so then i try saving it as an .obj and it saves without any problems. I import the .obj into Milkshap 3D, the file opens, but when it opens the car mesh is pitch black.

Am i doing this right? I'm sorry for troubling you, im very new to this stuff. You tutorial is great by the way
The ModFather
retired moderator
#79 Old 1st Jul 2006 at 8:48 AM
If in Milkshape the faces look pitch black, there is a problem of normals; the normals determine the way the light is reflected by the face. You can fix this problem by applying a smoothing on the entire mesh. Milkshape has a "Smooth All" function (and even an auto-smooth feature), but personally I find them very buggy. I always apply the smoothing using UVmapper, but I guess that Lithunwrap has a good smoothing feature too.
Apply the smoothing before exporting as OBJ; and then load the smoothed OBJ in Milkshape, and proceed with the joint assignment.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#80 Old 1st Jul 2006 at 9:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
If in Milkshape the faces look pitch black, there is a problem of normals; the normals determine the way the light is reflected by the face. You can fix this problem by applying a smoothing on the entire mesh. Milkshape has a "Smooth All" function (and even an auto-smooth feature), but personally I find them very buggy. I always apply the smoothing using UVmapper, but I guess that Lithunwrap has a good smoothing feature too.
Apply the smoothing before exporting as OBJ; and then load the smoothed OBJ in Milkshape, and proceed with the joint assignment.

WOW! Thanks Alot. My Car Is Now No Longer Pitch Black.
Forum Resident
#81 Old 7th Jul 2006 at 8:56 PM
I´ve tried to alter a car I´ve made previously, but when I export the car as .5gd (after making my changes), all the joint information gets lost. Does anyone know what I can do about this?
Lab Assistant
#82 Old 20th Jul 2006 at 1:40 AM
Just as a heads up - apparently you still need to uncheck remove useless files on the minivan as well in .58 alpha.

sadly this still hasnt fixed my disappearing surface issue...although when I recloned the van I no longer had to fiddle about with tying the matte to the original can which was a plus. Perhaps sometime soon I will figure it out.
Forum Resident
#83 Old 26th Jul 2006 at 6:31 AM
that was horrible. didn't understand a thing
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#84 Old 26th Jul 2006 at 6:37 AM
morfhead, just because you didn't understand it doesn't mean it's horrible. You must first know how to make objects (not just simple ones, but animated ones) before you can use this. Go back and do something simpler, like the start to finish "make a table" tutorial, and quit insulting peoples' efforts to help others just because you haven't bothered to do any research first.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
#85 Old 8th Aug 2006 at 12:56 AM
I'm having problems with step 5 -- pretty much the whole thing. I couldn't find the option to import the .ms3d file for my car into the hunka file, so I exported my car as the .txt, and now when I import all the joints disappear. What formats am I supposed to do? And if possible, could you elaborate a bit on step 5? Also if anyone has a chance (and doesn't mind) to help me step by step, I will gladly accept IMs. Here2Worship0227 (yahoo messenger) or Worship4Ever0227 (AOL/AIM). Thanks
Test Subject
#86 Old 8th Aug 2006 at 4:25 PM
where do i get uv-mapping? plz plz plz answer
Part-time Hermit
#87 Old 8th Aug 2006 at 4:32 PM
If you don't know how to uv-map, then this isn't a tutorial for you just yet. You need to go through some beginner level tutorials on object making before you can start even thinking about creating cars. Making cars is a complex process and really requires a good grasp on the basics of object making first.
Field Researcher
#88 Old 10th Aug 2006 at 4:15 AM
No one?? I'm kinda in a rut here...

Thanks

Worship4Ever0227 ~ Visit My Site! SimSafe2.com
Please Check Out The Prayer Room.
Test Subject
#89 Old 12th Aug 2006 at 5:43 AM Last edited by Aviolina : 16th Aug 2006 at 3:57 PM.
Default Help me.
Greetings all.
At converting some questions if not it is difficult have appeared
answer, please.
1. If dimensions of the convertible automobile do not coincide with original model whether necessarily to adjust it under the original?
2. How to adjust the center of wheels that they normally rotated and were correctly located concerning a body of model?
3. Whether there is an opportunity of change of illumination of the automobile, I have
in view of moving light sources, headlights, stop signals?
4. It is possible whether to change an arrangement of the driver concerning a rudder (closer - further), and
as a point of opening of a door if it is possible as?
I from Russia, am sorry for my bad English.
It is thankful in advance. Yours faithfully. Aviolina.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#90 Old 13th Aug 2006 at 4:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by worship4ever0227
I'm having problems with step 5 -- pretty much the whole thing. I couldn't find the option to import the .ms3d file for my car into the hunka file, so I exported my car as the .txt, and now when I import all the joints disappear. What formats am I supposed to do? And if possible, could you elaborate a bit on step 5? Also if anyone has a chance (and doesn't mind) to help me step by step, I will gladly accept IMs. Here2Worship0227 (yahoo messenger) or Worship4Ever0227 (AOL/AIM). Thanks

Ok I don't usually do this step before the uv-mapping step because if your car mesh contains over 10,000 polys or something then you won't be able to save the mesh as a .ms3d file.

After your finished with your car mesh, save it as an obj file and then import it into a uv-mapping program such as lithunwrap, which is what I prefer to use, and create your uv-map. Once your done, save the model again as an obj file. After that, go to milkshape 3d and import the hunka or the "reference object" that you are gonna make your car from using the plugin by Wes_h. After your done, import your car (the obj file you saved earlier) and scale it to the size of the hunka or your "reference object". Once done, select the faces of your car (or select all the groups that belong to your car) and move it into place, eg. line up your seats with the hunka's seats. You car should overlap with the hunka or the "reference object". Now to delete the hunka, if your car is still selected then just go to I think edit > Select invert and delete the hunka. If you car isn't still selected then go to groups, select all the groups that belong to the hunka and delete them, leaving the joints and your mesh still present. Now what I prefer to do to ensure that the wheels spin in a perfect circle is select the front wheels and line them up with the joint that belongs to the fron wheels of the hunka. Repeat this with the rear wheels except line then up with the rear wheel joints. (Make sure the center of the joint in each view is in the center of you wheel, if not, grab your wheel again and move then into the center of the joint). Once done, your car should look wierd, obviously due to the wheels. If it does then you've done this correctly, you can change the positions of the wheels in the resource node in simpe. When thats done, select the doors and assign the correct doors with one of these joints, Joint@0Ah and Joint@0Bh. Once done, assign the correct wheel to the correct joints. If your unsure, open up another milksahpe, import the hunka or "reference object", choose a joint and press "SelAssigned" and it should show you what that joint is assigned to.

Once you've done all that, continue to step 7. Your joints should already have comments in them, if not then you can go to your hunka in your other milkshape window and copy and paste them.

I hope this could help you a bit.

Wonkey.

Want to see more cars? Well why don't you take a visit to This Site and while your at it, also take a look at This Site.
Field Researcher
#91 Old 13th Aug 2006 at 5:41 PM
Awesome, I think that well help a lot! I don't have time to do anything about it right now, but it all seems to make sense to me. Thanks!

Worship4Ever0227 ~ Visit My Site! SimSafe2.com
Please Check Out The Prayer Room.
Test Subject
#92 Old 28th Aug 2006 at 4:34 PM
hi, thanks for this.. but i need help on the joints. is anyone kind enough to fill me in here? just wanted to know which joint is connected to where..

Joint@00h
Joint@01h
Joint@02h
Joint@03h
Joint@04h - Front Wheel (Left)
Joint@05h
Joint@06h - Front Wheel (Right)
Joint@07h
Joint@08h
Joint@09h - Body
Joint@0Ah - Door (Left)
Joint@0Bh - Door (Right)
Joint@0Ch - Rear wheel (left)
Joint@0Dh
Joint@0Eh - Rear Wheel (right)
Test Subject
#93 Old 29th Aug 2006 at 7:23 AM
also, can someone put-up a short summary on how they succesfully finish a working car step-by-step? i'm really stuck on the joint. the wheels turns perfectly but the lights and the rest are just mesed-up (the colors too, perhaps on the uvmapping side)..
Test Subject
#94 Old 31st Aug 2006 at 2:04 AM
Default Thank for the help.
Thank for the help, at me all has turned out.
My theme at a forum:
http://www.ruhelp.com/forums/index....topic=4297&st=0
Lab Assistant
#95 Old 1st Sep 2006 at 2:03 AM
can i make teh cars with maya becuase i got milkshape but the trail ran out and i cant pay for it! What other 3d programs besides wings 3d are good to make cars and other stuff! Also how do you make custom animations?

Sims 2 Modder.....In Training!
Part-time Hermit
#96 Old 1st Sep 2006 at 4:43 AM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 1st Sep 2006 at 4:48 AM.
Custom animations are still in very early stages, nobody has made complex, new animations yet. Take a look at the animation discussion forum here.

I find it a bit contradictory that you can afford Maya, which costs, I believe, a few thousand dollars, but not Milkshape, which costs only about 25 dollars or so .

Based on what you have posted elsewhere on the forum, I would say it's way too early for you to start making cars. I recommend you do what HysterialParoxysm already told you in this post first.
Lab Assistant
#97 Old 26th Feb 2007 at 8:02 PM
I may already know the answer to this, but would I be able to use Blender to make a car? If not I will get Milkshape

BradySeitz

Follow the creation of new worlds, lots and objects at my new blog, UrbanSims!
~Brady
The ModFather
retired moderator
#98 Old 26th Feb 2007 at 9:45 PM
Blender can't manage animated meshes. The cheapest program that can manage joints is Milkshape.

In theory, you could even use Blender and the MeshTool (both free), but the cars are very complex, and the MeshTool not exactly friendly, so that you are unlikely to complete the task using these two tools.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
#99 Old 26th Feb 2007 at 10:46 PM
That's what I thought. Thanks

BradySeitz

Follow the creation of new worlds, lots and objects at my new blog, UrbanSims!
~Brady
Test Subject
#100 Old 24th Mar 2007 at 6:19 PM
What is Milkshape?Could someone help me?I want to make a1999 Ford Expedition.
Page 4 of 6