Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Space Pony
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 12:00 AM
Default Unable to export all objects with building
So I took a sim who had gotten all of the WA loot and the gems/metals available in game. I thought it would be cool to make Pancake101's An Artist's Legacy mansion, into the art gallery for my new world, and include all the loot and gems/metals that my sim had gotten. I edited the building, placed all the objects. Moved my sim out and changed the lot from residential, to community, and uploaded the lot to my library. However, when I import the lot none of the WA loot nor the gems/ metals are there. Even the display cases are missing.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks!
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 3:30 AM
The game is fussy about the order in which you do things. If I recall correctly, in order for sims stuff to stay with the lot, you need to have the sim move out with the game's move interaction, not by evicting them through edit town. Then the stuff should remain with the lot. After moving them, check the lot in edit town and see if the items are still there. If so, then you can save the lot to the library bin. I would probably also save the game before moving the sim out, just in case you need to try it another way. At least then you wouldn't lose all the work you put into placing objects. Good luck!

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Mad Poster
#3 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 3:58 AM
This is going WAY back when in my memory banks but moving items to community lots is a pain. And even moving the stuff sims collect can be a pain from house to house. I seem to recall I had to move almost all the collectible into chests for some moves for my sims to keep the stuff.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 6:59 AM
Yep saved, before I even moved the house. So I tried both the evict and had the sim move out as well. Would it matter if I the house that I ported the objects over to was an additional home. That I had my sims sell before moving back to there original home?
(Hope that made sense)

The weird thing is I did this once before, but that was such a long time ago I can't remember what I did.
dodgy builder
#5 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 12:57 PM
A farm I made had several insects etc in collections. I put them in boxes and moved to the sims inventory, but I forgot one on a dresser.

The box on the dresser just kept following the house later when I used it as a samplefarm.

Is this helpful?
Space Pony
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 5:44 PM
Unfortunately, it doesn't. Mine is sort of the opposite. Where the box left on the dresser is just missing if imported from the library.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#7 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 4:47 PM Last edited by Don Babilon : 14th Jun 2018 at 5:06 PM.
I did this just a few hours ago and all the things are still there.

So what did I do?
It was an already existing art gallery community lot that I converted to residential and moved my "interior decorator Sim" in. All in Edit Town and everything she had was in her personal inventory.
I placed some 20 relics on pedestals, two sultan's tabernacle tents in the garden, 4 fireflies on pedestals and 2 rainbow butterflies and 1 rainbow beetle on the ground.
I also placed a treasure chest where I stored some surplus relics, a bunch of showers in a can, and the ITF bot building and laser harp books.
Usually I also have her plant some plants that cannot be found in buydebug (egg, patty, steak, cheese, plasma) but I did that already for a different lot a few days ago.
When I was finished I moved her out again in Edit Town, left her household on the sidepanel and converted the lot back to Art Gallery.
Once converted I entered the lot again in Edit Town to add an arboretum rabbithole and the gender restricted doors for the bathrooms and then saved it into the bin.
It imported perfectly fine into my other game and all the things are were they are supposed to be.

And as I have done this so often with various things I can also confirm that usually gems stay were they are, fish remain in their bowls and birds in their cages. When I use the "View" interaction it also still names the Sim that collected the gem initially, years ago, in a different world and save.

From what I read in your posts the problem might have been the fact that you owned the lot but did not live in it. Owned lots act like residential lots in some respect and like community lots in another. I guess placed personal inventory objects belong to the latter category then and will be moved into your family inventory once you enter the lot in Edit Town.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#8 Old 15th Jun 2018 at 12:37 AM
Kk, I'll move the sim into the art gallery house. Than move her out with Edit Town and leave her in the side panel, than convert and edit the art gallery.
That might be it, the fact that I moved the relics, gems and metals in last. Than sold the lot back to the town, without editing anything else.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 15th Jun 2018 at 4:41 AM
Made a copy of your post for future use, Don. Thank you!
#10 Old 15th Jun 2018 at 11:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ruffdog24
Kk, I'll move the sim into the art gallery house. Than move her out with Edit Town and leave her in the side panel, than convert and edit the art gallery.
That might be it, the fact that I moved the relics, gems and metals in last. Than sold the lot back to the town, without editing anything else.
No, it is actually not necessary to edit the lot afterwards.

The problem I see is rather that you bought the lot and then sold it again (through the Real Estate option on your Sim's phone, is my guess). This won't work. In order for objects from your inventory to stay you really have to convert the lot to a full residential lot, move the Sim in and then move it out after having made the changes and convert it back to community. The moving to the side panel I mentioned is to indicate that the decorator Sim must not be active while you convert the lot back, you could move it into another house but it must not be active. Otherwise the objects will still be connected to that household and might end up back in their family inventory.

I never do this in a running game, btw, and use a separate save for just this.

If you try to export a personally decorated community lot from a running game with the decorator Sim still active then there is another method. But it is very tedious and time consuming and requires the DebugEnabler mod from NRaas Industries. You will have to click on every single object that you placed from a Sim's inventory and select "SetLotOwner: Null" in order to sever the link between the object and your household. But as I said it is very time-consuming and you will lose every object that you forgot to unlink.
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 4:29 AM
Yes, I agree with Don Babilon that the sim needs to move into the house, as its only house, not a second home lot. Selling the lot back to the town will remove all the objects the sim placed. Move the sim out by using the "MOVE" interaction from a computer. Buy them a new house, and when they are gone, save the lot to the library.

@Don Babilon what do you mean by a running game? Do you mean the lot you want to save is the active household? I tried doing this your suggested way, from edit town, after a sim planted the garden. All the plants were removed from the lot and found, as seeds, in the original sim's inventory. It is a frustrating game at times.

New at Simszoo
#12 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 9:21 AM
By running game I mean a game you actively play and where, for example, you planted the community garden with the help of NRaas Tempest or decorated the gallery with relics from your personal inventory through the in-game "Donate" interaction. You can decorate community lots to a certain extend with items from your personal inventory when they are draggable, as you know. But once you enter these lots in Edit Town these objects will be moved into your family (as opposed to personal) inventory and if you export it, all planted plants are lost. This is because the game still treats these objects as being owned by your household and being merely "loaned" to the community lot.

DebugEnabler now has a function to transfer ownership to the community lot through the "SetLotOwner: Null" command; as an alternative there's also a console command in AwesomeMod with the same purpose, but I cannot remember its name anymore atm. (ETA: Now I remember it, the AM command is "chown", but it is very powerful and almost too efficient, so I don't recommend using it)
But as I said, with DebugEnabler you'd have to do this with every single object that you placed or planted. In the case of plants it has to be the soil object, I think.

It is much more convenient to do this by moving in and out again. I have a special Sim in my household bin for this purpose. She has mastered the gardening challenges and can plant cheese and steak plants and her inventory is full of high-value relics, special rewards, books you cannot buy in a home-world, masterful inventions, special merchant items (Pemmican, Sultan's Tabernacles, mummy snacks etc.), visa certificates, omniplant seeds and perfect produce samples and magic potions.
But I don't want her in my games, so I use a separate save for upgrading my community lots with her help and then import the upgraded one in my running game. That way, at least I have so far never lost anything during the export-import process.

I have next to no experience of what can happen if you do it in a running game via the move-in-and-move-out scenario that is available from a Sim's phone and then later export that lot to the bin. I just know that buying the lot as additional real estate and then selling it again after you're done decorating will not work very well with personal inventory items.

Sorry, I don't know what else I can say to clarify what I mean. It has always worked in my games and I don't know what others do differently when it doesn't work for them. So I cannot really determine what the decisive factor in this whole procedure really is.
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 1:11 AM
Thanks Don. This will require some more experiments. It would be great to have a list of, Do this/ Don't do that, for this common dilemma. Thank you for adding to our body of knowledge....again!

New at Simszoo
Space Pony
Original Poster
#14 Old 18th Jul 2018 at 2:54 PM
Sorry for the super long wait in reply, was on vacation than get back to a heat wave. Which after working in the heat all day left me not in the mood to sit at a computer.
Anyway doing what Don suggested worked!
Thought I messed up when I moved the sim out via the town edit tools. But it all worked out.
Thank you all for your help!