Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
#26 Old 26th Sep 2012 at 11:09 AM
Agreed. Most of the things we do, are for our own enjoyment and many times we think that our creations are super. When someone changes everything another way, we feel like a cockroach on hot soup.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 26th Sep 2012 at 6:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
like i said, best is to map them yourself.
Altho uvmappers have tons of map options it never comes out the way you want it.(IMO)
I find Blender freaking hard to understand and by the time i got it all figured it out they come with a new release were they changed interface and settings....
Also plugins are often no longer compatible so you need to update everything(happend to me twice so i gave up on it)
I only use a old version to bake my textures.

Wings 3d is probably the most popular(and free) and like Milkshape user friendly but i have no experience with it.
I can read and write with Milkshape and can create anything with it(but im used to it for 8 years now wich makes a diffrence) so its by far my favorite.
Paid 25 dollars at the time for it and it still works like a charme after all those years

Bloomsbase, I also find Blender almost incomprehensible. Maya is slightly easier, but still awful. Milkshape is the simplest, although sometimes it feels like trying to do brain surgery with a mallet. Ah, well. And the only reason I have Maya, the incredibly expensive program, is because of the freebie academic version given to students. If you didn't get it for free, I don't see why you'd want it unless you were going to work for Pixar or somesuch.
Sockpuppet
#28 Old 27th Sep 2012 at 9:01 AM
i just dont understand why they dont make a simple wizzard the first time you start these programs.
Do you want to make animations? No? Then we remove all the crap that comes with it
Do you want the Render options available? No? Then we remove all the crap that comes with it
How about all the Texture options? No? Then we remove all the crap that comes with it
Wat about UVmappin? No? Then we remove all the crap that comes with it
Field Researcher
#29 Old 27th Sep 2012 at 10:25 AM
Hahaha, but then the incredibly expensive program will be the same as Milkshape, lol! Blender folks ought to make the wizard, though. :P
Mad Poster
#30 Old 27th Sep 2012 at 10:34 AM
@Bloom and kithri: I used to find Blender completely incomprehensible, it's quirky, dense and non-user-friendly, but have now started to learn it because I very much want to do baking, animation, and 'soft selection', so I knuckled down and forced myself to learn, and what I'm finding very useful is Blender's online manual: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual - making and animating the Gingerbread Man in their 'Your First Animation' tutorial taught me a LOT, very recommended: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/D...Gingerbread_Man . There is also a good set of video tutorials here: http://gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html

Between the two of those sites, I'm finally finding Blender useable - I've just successfully baked a mesh, which I was never able to figure out before, and was pleased to learn the basics of animation by doing the Gingerbread man tutorial - still have to get to grips with soft selection, which looks useful for making hair. Hope you two will give Blender another try - I'm finding it very feature-rich compared to Milkshape (amazing for a free app) (although apparently, it originally was a commercial app). The way I look at it is that Milkshape is perfect for quick and straightforward work, and Blender is good for useful advanced features that Milkshape doesn't have.
Sockpuppet
#31 Old 27th Sep 2012 at 10:52 AM
yes, Blender is good for fast baking
Have a old version installed with CMO's plugin
Page 2 of 2