Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd May 2009 at 7:17 PM
Coat Rack
Hi! I've made this coat rack, but it has to big problems. The first one is that the coat has an ugly dark line that I can't delete, and the second and worst is that the texture I made doesn't show up properly.

This is shows the actual texture.

This is the first object and mesh I do. Help please!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 2nd May 2009 at 8:20 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 2nd May 2009 at 8:53 PM.
Can you make a screenshot of the UV map? From your other thread (in CF) it seems like that is the issue, not the actual texture.

How does it look in Milkshape/Blender/Wings/whatever you use for meshing when you put the texture on it?

(You need to fix the shadows as well -- groundshadow and wallshadow --, in case you haven't seen that anyway =)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd May 2009 at 9:14 PM
Sorry, what you mean with a UV map screenshot?
I'm using wings3D. Also, I have noticed the shadows, but I don't know how to make them look like they must, you know what I mean.

PS: The UV map is the original maxis coat rack, I haven't changed it.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 2nd May 2009 at 9:33 PM
I just meant a screenshot of how your UV map is laid out.

From the thumbnail you posted in the other thread it looks like the correct texture is there, somewhere, but doesn't show up in-game .. one possible reason for that would be a weirdo UV map.

I have a feeling you skipped some of the basic tutorials. I can't tell about the Wings one, but I know that in the absolute beginner Blender tutorial (the "Start to Finish" one by JWoods), the subject of UV mapping is covered. Maybe you should go back and fill in the missing bits.

Re. the shadows, it looks like you imported all of the shadows (both meshes and textures) to your new object. If you don't plan on changing the coat very much, you'd only need one wallshadow though (for the wall it's hanging on), you can skip the groundshadow and the other walls since that coat wouldn't cast a shadow on those. Maybe the left wall, but the right one seems unnecessary.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd May 2009 at 10:22 PM
Ok, I'll do that with shadows.
That's what I did: I clone the object, I extract the .obj file and imported it in wings. Then I deleted the original rack and made a cube, I modified it until it looked like that one in the picture. I put the racks over the cube and then the coat. I exported as a .obj file and opened it with UV Mapper. I exported it just as it was, I didn't changed anything. Then I imported the .obj in SimPE and later create a new texture.
I hope I was clear. Thanks!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#6 Old 2nd May 2009 at 10:41 PM
I can't tell you whether your UVMapper activities make sense or not, since I don't use it. Maybe someone who does will come along and comment.

However, I don't think cloning a wall hanging object from a standing object is a good idea. You'd have to somehow teach it correct hanging behaviour, which can be a bit of a PITA.

Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd May 2009 at 10:43 PM
I thought that I have to change that, but I don't know how. Do you know if there's a tutorial or something here?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#8 Old 2nd May 2009 at 10:51 PM
There are plenty of tutorials. They're all in the menu, in Create.

http://www.modthesims2.com/wiki.php?title=MTS2:Create

Inventor
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd May 2009 at 11:16 PM
I know there's a lot of tutorials here, but wich is the correct? And as this is the first time I attempt to make an object, I feel a little lost with all those weird names. I think I should leave this object and start with something easier like chairs and couches... just for practice. What do you think?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#10 Old 2nd May 2009 at 11:48 PM
I'd do the "Start Here!" tutorial, and the ones specifically about Wings. I don't know those (I use blender myself, not Wings), but just from the titles it looks like there's at least one for every aspect (textures, meshes, UV mapping).

I believe a purely decorative object like this is a good place to start, actually. I can't think of any reason a chair would be easier .. if anything, it would be harder since the mesh is likely more complex and it also needs to fit exactly underneath a sim's butt. With this you have a lot more freedom regarding the shape of the mesh.

If you feel like it's too much at once, maybe do some recolours first. Or clone a Maxis object and just change it a little bit, in a way that doesn't involve placement or behaviour.

Inventor
Original Poster
#11 Old 3rd May 2009 at 4:47 AM
I'm going to download blender and see if I can handle it, and then start to make new objects. I need more practice before starting to upload. Thanks plasticbox!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#12 Old 3rd May 2009 at 11:27 AM
I'm not sure it's a good idea to switch from Wings to blender, unless you're very uncomfortable with Wings .. particularly since I think we have a lot more tutorials for Wings than for anything else. But, whatever floats your boat.

world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#13 Old 3rd May 2009 at 11:41 AM
Blender is a LOT more complicated and has a much higher learning curve. It's -very- powerful, but if you're having trouble with Wings, I don't think Blender's going to be any more user friendly - just the opposite. I've tried it several times, and every time I stare at all the buttons in confused horror, feeling like a chimp stuck behind the controls of a fighter plane.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#14 Old 3rd May 2009 at 11:59 AM
Agreed -- Blender is definitely not beginner friendly. The key bindings are clearly from outer space, and while it is made of win in many respects, those mostly have little bearing on making sim stuff.

Also, you don't seem to have a problem with Wings in the first place, so I don't really see why you want to switch at all. You will still have to do tutorials, and not only one of them. To me it looks like the basic problem is that you don't understand what you're doing -- using a different tool won't help you with that.

Inventor
Original Poster
#15 Old 3rd May 2009 at 9:30 PM
Well, I made a completely functional (and very simple) table with wings. I'm not uncomfortable with it, actually, is the only 3D tool I've understood. I never tried blender, so if you think is complicate for me, I'll not download it.
I do -barely- know what I'm doing, but I'm not understanding all the SimPE funcitons and components, etc. I've done lots of wings tutorials but I never could do a completely new object, just cloning maxis and tweaking them. I will start making decorative objects, those are statics and easy to modificate. My principal problem is with the uv mapping, but is just question of practice. I left the coat-rack, so you can delete the post or lock it if you want. Thanks!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#16 Old 3rd May 2009 at 11:53 PM
Sounds like a reasonable plan =).