Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jan 2007 at 6:00 AM Last edited by tiggerypum : 2nd Jan 2007 at 7:36 PM.
Default Is Blender bodyshop meshing possible?
I am currently racking my brain for a way to make bodyshop meshes in Blender. I have a few concepts, but would like some advice before putting them into action. Here are my best ideas:

1. I've noticed that if I import a full body mesh into Blender, add a new mesh, then export all the meshes, the body mesh still works, but the new one does not. This leads me to believe that the body mesh retains its bones, but the new mesh isn't in the same mesh group, so it doesn't share the bones. If I could make the two meshes into a single mesh group, maybe the new mesh would work in conjuction with the original, by using the same bones.. This wouldn't be the best fix, but it would allow for some creations to work. The main problem with this is that the clothing would still have the old mesh underneath, so you would have to have a basic nude model ( no clothing added to it) this way you wouldn't have one shirt or pair of pants on top of another shirt or pair of pants.

2. Maybe it would be possible to make the bones into a seperate mesh by themselves, and make them visible through the use of a plugin.. Then you could just add a mesh ontop of them. Like you do in other games like oblivion.

3. And last but, not least make a plugin for blender. This is something I can't do, because I have no idea how to script in python.
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Jan 2007 at 10:45 AM
Blender CAN be used, with Meshtool and using these instructions: http://www.modthesims2.com/article.php?t=146551

#1) Sounds an awful lot like you're losing the original vertex number and order when you import the second mesh. That's why the second one works but the first one doesn't - if the numbering for the first mesh stops at 1500, then when you import the second one, it picks up at 1501, and therefore loses bone assignments.

#2) I'm not sure how Oblivion does it, but for Sims 2 you need to have multi-weighted vertices assigned to the bones that Sims 2 meshes use, in exactly the right place, and everything has to export in the right order.

#3) Probably possible - we have a beautiful plugin for Milkshape, but honestly, I'd recommend just using Milkshape, XSI Modtool, or 3DS Max for you at this point... you keep wanting to use Blender, and it's a great program for object meshing, but it's just not supported by the community for body meshing. To use a terrible metaphor, you're banging your head against a wall of a house with nobody inside. If you would like to use Blender, you may have to learn Python scripting, as the rest of the community is using other tools and doesn't really seem to be interested in creating any scripts for Blender.

We -do- however, have an amazing plugin for Milkshape which allows for multiple group support, multiple bone assignments including 4th bone assignments, full skeletal support, and lets you add and change and fiddle with things, limited only by your patience and imagination. I would seriously advise picking up Milkshape (which is very inexpensive) and Unimesh (which is free). We've got great support from the Milkshape developers and we're now a lot of Milkshape's user base. You can also get a lot of help in using it as many of the meshers here are quite familiar with it as it relates to body meshing.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Jan 2007 at 3:28 PM Last edited by mutants_r_us : 1st Jan 2007 at 3:35 PM.
I can't use milkshape, because of some registration glitch. I registered the program and 2 months later it stop wprking and said I tried to register it after it had expired. Then it said to run the application for two minutes so it could complete registration. I ran it for over an hour and still no rresponse. Frustrated, I uninstalled it, wiped it from the registry, and installed a new trial version and it still doesn't work. Also, I can't get blender models to work with meshtool, and everyone keeps telling me blender bodyshop meshing doesn't work. I would use wings 3d with hellborn's exploding mesh fix, but I know nothing about wings 3d.

Also, is it possible in any way to add points to a mesh in bodyshop. I just don' t see making the hellknight from doom by stretching out the points on a maxis mesh, or any other bodyshop mesh for that matter, as a feesible project.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 1st Jan 2007 at 5:03 PM
here are some wings tut's for ya, that is if you wanna try wings, thats what i use, and i was just about to ask the same thing about can you make clothes with wings, i dont know yet, but there are some tutorials on how to manuver wings.

A tut (Tutorial) on how to make a basic mesh using Wings 3D (read and download the tutorial at the bottom of the first post)

http://modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=104795

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
A tut (tutorial) on how to curve the meshed (read only after reading first link)

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=181948
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope these Wings 3D tutorials helped you. (that is only if you would like to try wings 3d out)

I'm now accepting requests for tables and chairs, i need pictures of it from all sides if you can, PM me and I'll see if i can make it
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#5 Old 2nd Jan 2007 at 2:26 AM
Wings 3D is of virtually no use if you want to work on body meshes.

Go get the free xsi modtool and register it and edit smd files with it, if you must go free.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd Jan 2007 at 6:35 AM Last edited by mutants_r_us : 2nd Jan 2007 at 7:43 AM.
to aura demolisher. thanks, I have been looking for some good tutorials on wings.

and to tiggerypum.... What? what is and xsi modtool... doesn't meshtool export smd files.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#7 Old 2nd Jan 2007 at 4:21 PM Last edited by tiggerypum : 2nd Jan 2007 at 4:31 PM.
meshtool exports rudimentary smd files, but I haven't heard that wings edits them. SimPE exports smd directly now (skankyboy's add on, it's included)

But blender doesn't support smd (at least not correctly that I've heard), nor wings. You need to use 3DS Max or XSI Modtool to edit the smd files.

XSI modtool is a cut down version of a full program. It has great documentation. There is a tutorial on site you can look at that has xsi modtool info -- SKIP the meshtool parts, use the SimPE SMD export and import instead. But it can give you a quick 'here's where things are' in xsi modtool to help you get going with it. It's free.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th Jan 2007 at 5:34 AM
Holy smokes. It's 30 Mb! That'll take forever on dial-up. Anyway, I think I know someone who can help me clear milkshape out of my computer'sregistry, so I can re-install it. I really hope we can do it. I want to make clothing so badly.

Go here for my more gory objects:

MY GORY SIMS 2 OBJECTS

MTS2 HACKED!!! - 0wn3d