Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Oct 2005 at 8:16 PM Last edited by Seilyne : 18th Oct 2005 at 8:24 PM.
Default New Accessory Mesh problem
Hello,

I have follow the WDS BriAnna tutorial, and the Dr.Pixel one, to create a new accessory MESH, i have begin to modify the bodyshop package with the source MESH package and until i modify the MESH itself, the bodyshop display it well. So i have made a bad manipulation but i don't find what.

I have follow the JWoods tutorial to, in the mesh manipulation chapter as the rest in for object creation. And i have the same result.

With my modified mesh the bodyshop don't display the accessory.

Is anybody could help me please ? Give me some idea or trail to follow ?

Thank in advance
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 19th Oct 2005 at 2:28 AM
There are many possible reasons why the new mesh would fail to show up.

I will list the ones I know of:

1} You must use a mesh editing format that allows bones and vertex assignments - this means NOT the .obj format. You can use either the .smd format, or Wes H's MilkShape plugins.

2} All the new vertices of your mesh must be assigned to a "bone" (or "joint")
Any un-assigned vertices will not show up.

3} Any new mesh parts must be combined back into the original mesh groups - in other words, if the mesh originally has two groups:

lens
frame

Your new mesh must also have only two groups, named:

lens
frame

They must also be in the same order on the group listing.

4} Any new parts must be correctly texture-mapped. If you are using Wes H's plugins, you MUST do the texture-mapping right in MilkShape, not in another UV_mapper because important information will be lost otherwise.
If there is an "alpha" exported by BodyShop along with your texture image, this must also be corrected to allow the new parts to show up.

========================================

If this all seems correct, can you say exactly how you did the editing?

What export/import method did you use, what 3d editor, etc.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Oct 2005 at 9:08 PM
Oh very big thanks Dr. Pixel, i check this list and repost here about, i mistake already in the first i use obj and when i have tried the plugins i have'nt texture in MilkShape, it's what i'll try in first tomorrow.

Thank you again , you save me (i hope).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th Oct 2005 at 5:22 PM Last edited by Seilyne : 20th Oct 2005 at 5:53 PM.
I succeed to show my mesh in BodyShop :baloons:

I import the mesh in SimPE by the import button of the plugin view in .txt, i have exported this .txt with the MilkShake ASCII export after textured well the mesh.
And that's right :o)

My problem comes from use .obj as export/import file, don't mesh in MS 3D, and i give my proper name to the parts of the mesh. (3 mistake /4 :haha: )

Big thanks again Dr.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 20th Oct 2005 at 5:48 PM
dr pxel
please tell me where are the face mesh files
i want to amke earrigns and use face as base
Scholar
#6 Old 20th Oct 2005 at 10:59 PM
Every Sim has their own face mesh - what you are really doing on the CAS section of BodyShop, or elese in the game, is creating a custom face mesh for the Sim.

So, if you want to have a face to use in your 3d Editor for positioning things, the easiest way is to create a Sim in BodyShop, and export it to the game.
Then open this .package file in SimPE, and find the GMDC file - that is the face mesh.

When you export your new Sim from BodyShop to the game, the Sim's file is put into your Saved Sims\ folder, with all numbers instead of a name on the .package - just look for the one with the newest date - that is the Sim you just created.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 21st Oct 2005 at 11:23 AM
Default tutorial
hi honey
thankyou for face help
do u know anywhere for a good glass making tutorial..
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Oct 2005 at 2:58 PM Last edited by Seilyne : 22nd Oct 2005 at 11:27 AM.
I have upload my work at : http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=98166

It display well in the bodyshop that's why i have do that, but now i have tested it in game and when the sims move, the mesh doesn't follow the body or the head. I'm hopeless

I've recover hope, the mesh is animated normally now

Edited : the thumbnails seem to correctly display now. It was because TS2 don't remade the thumbnail each time we change anything.

(Sorry for my occasionnaly poor english)

Seilyne alias Ephi
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 22nd Oct 2005 at 11:32 AM
I have a new question about new mesh accessory.

It seems that there are different types of accessory, i mean some accessory can be combined on a sim, but some other erase each other. Why ? Which and where is the parameter that enable the addition of several accessory, or make them of different type.

I've scan a while in the accessory file but the only parameter that is label 'type' is at the same value for 2 accessories that can be combined.

Seilyne alias Ephi
Scholar
#10 Old 22nd Oct 2005 at 1:49 PM Last edited by Dr Pixel : 5th Nov 2005 at 9:38 PM.
The secret is in the BodyShop .package (not in your accessory MESH .package)

Look at the Mesh Overlay XML file - at the bin number.

This determines how the accessory will replace each other.

The Sim can "wear" only one thing from each bin number.

Maxis Glasses is bin number : 0x0000000F

If your accessory has this same bin number, the glasses will come off when your accessory is put on.

So, change this bin number in your original BodyShop .package. Any number seems to work, but it is best to stay away from the lower numbers - some of those will cause your accessory to conflict with lipstick, makeup, etc. You only need to do thisr in the original BodyShop .package. When you use this to make more recolors, the bin number will be kept for them.

Here I show the bin number of some ear-rings I made. I used 0x0000D98C.

This will make the ear-rings replace only their own recolors (so the Sim will not wear two copys of this ear-ring at once). It will not replace galsses, or other accessories which have a different bin number.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 22nd Oct 2005 at 4:18 PM
Ok Dr. Pixel, i'll going to do that. Thank you one more time

Seilyne alias Ephi
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 24th Oct 2005 at 4:56 AM
Dr. Pixel, you are a genius...I don't know how you know as much as you do!
Thanks for all of the tips!

RabidAngel the Rabies Riddled Girl

You can check out more of my creations at www.simsconnection.com
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 2:15 PM
I tried that, Dr. Pixel, and it doesn't work.

I extracted from Bodyshop 19 pairs of Maxis Glasses, then Imported them back. Then I altered the bin(s) from 0x0000000F to 0x00009D8F(so it wouldn't match yours), but that didn't do it.

This made me wonder - perhaps I had, by freak chance, chosen a number that was not allowed, so I used yours(0x00009D8C), and the Accessories were STILL excluisive to themselves and would not mix n' match with anything else.

Can you tell me what I did wrong?

One thought has occured to me - should I have altered the .package file(in my Projects folder)BEFORE Importation, rather than ammending the .package file created after Importation?

I'm a little uncertain about WHICH .package file you mean when you say "the original".

Can you clarify that please?
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 11th Nov 2005 at 10:18 AM
Thraxwhirl,
Do not edit the .package file in your Project folder--edit the one by the same name in your Saved Sims folder. If you have more than one accessory that you want to alter, you'll have to edit all of the .package files--but once you edit the package files, any accessories "cloned" from those ones will automatically have the new bin number.

Also make sure that you change the bin number in ALL of the Mesh Overlay XMLs inside your .package file (all to the same bin!). Depending on how many age groups will be using your accessory, there will probably be more than one XML.

.:: Sim Chic ::.
New & Improved with tasty TS3 goodness!
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 14th Nov 2005 at 5:12 PM Last edited by sims2germany : 14th Nov 2005 at 5:45 PM.
Default Getting into the Meshing......
[QUOTE=Dr Pixel] Any new parts must be correctly texture-mapped. If you are using Wes H's plugins, you MUST do the texture-mapping right in MilkShape, not in another UV_mapper because important information will be lost otherwise.[QUOTE=Dr Pixel]

Hi, I appreciate ALL of the Manuals/Mini-Tutorials!!! Great work, and thank you ALL for sharing!
I have recently' deleted all of my prior Re-color files here on MTS2 due to my
new obsession to learn to MESH;(Skinning has gotten boring for me).

Please keep in mind that I am still learning this' - and keeping notes as I progress - I started out with a Hunka Auto Mesh, I like to start out HARD;(LOL!).
I followed the combigned material here on MTS2 - and I actually had a working Invisible Hunka with a buy cost of "0"...etc. JUST NO VISIBLE AUTO......I know it has to do with a poorly' made UV map - OR a problem with importing.(?)
I have attempted this 6 + times from scratch using the UVMapper Classic program with invisible Autos in all attemps.
I really just want to toss the UV mapper classic altogether and go the LithUnwrap Route - which I will try Tomorrow.
The problem is that LithUnwrap does not support .OBJ files....so, this' is my QUESTION and THEORY tonight.......

1)SimPe - Export .OBJ file

2.)MilkShape - Modify/Assign Textures,(Save to MS3D file for LithUnwrap)

3.)LithUnwrap - Tweak the UV Map using the Checker Map Technique 36.000/36.000,(Save/Overwrite to the original MS3D file)

4.)MilkShape - ReĀ°Import the "Tweaked" MS3D, (Save to .OBJ file Format)

5.)SimPe - Import the "New" .OBJ file and the "New" UV Map - using the DDS tools

I will try this Tomorrow and get back with you...........just thought I would run the Idea through the Mill first...............comments?

(I just realized, this' is probably the WRONG thread for this' post.......but Dr. Pixel rocks and so does the Sangria......My' Appologies Delphy)
Scholar
#16 Old 14th Nov 2005 at 8:53 PM
The problem with your car is that you are using the .obj file format - this will NOT work for a "boned" object that must be animated in the game, like the cars.

Instead use the .ms3dascii export/import of SimPE, or Wes H's MilkShape plugins - both of these do support "boned" objects.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 6:50 AM
Default Thank You
Quote: Originally posted by Dr Pixel
The problem with your car is that you are using the .obj file format - this will NOT work for a "boned" object that must be animated in the game, like the cars.

Instead use the .ms3dascii export/import of SimPE, or Wes H's MilkShape plugins - both of these do support "boned" objects.

Thank You! My' alternate Route didn't work either.....and LithUnwrap does support .OBJ file format but it still didn't work.
Time for ascII............