Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jan 2008 at 1:33 AM
Uploading clothes...question?
Ok, YES, I HAVE read the post here: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=148592

But I still have a question. I have a completely original mesh, with a completely original texture. I want to upload the mesh with the texture (duh, pardon me if I sound stupid) but I'm a bit confused. Can't I just upload the file from my d/l's folder? Pardon me if I sound stupid, but this is my first time uploading clothes.

"When life gives you lemons, see the lemons, feels the lemons, BE THE LEMONS!"

Take a look-see, hmm...? Go on, click them:
The Super Mario Project, Nintendorks Island-Celebrating 2 Years Online!
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 15th Jan 2008 at 1:42 AM
Yes, of course you can, if you've moved the recolour from SavedSims into Downloads, and put your mesh file into Downloads as well. You just don't want to upload the unfinished .package file from your My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Projects\(YourProjectName) folder because it won't work.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Jan 2008 at 1:37 AM
ok, this will take some thinking. I have to go sift now. Thanks!

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th Jan 2008 at 1:45 AM
Ok, I found all the meshes in the d/l's folder, but I have a recolor of one of them that I can't find there. But i know i have it in-game. Help?

retired moderator
#5 Old 15th Jan 2008 at 2:00 AM
Put it on a sim in Body Shop and package the sim to a sims2pack, then install the sims2pack to your desktop after unchecking everything but the clothes.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Jan 2008 at 2:06 AM
so simple, how did I miss it? :

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Jan 2008 at 2:58 AM Last edited by Rapsheba555 : 17th Jan 2008 at 10:26 PM.
Ok, there are 4 things in the package installer. see pic. Not sure what the top one is, the next one is my tester skin for this sim, the third is the recolor file, and I think the 4th is the mesh file. Which do I need to upload?

Edit: I can't remember, are Sims2Pack files allowed when uploading a full sim? I have a feeling I read somewhere that they aren't.
Screenshots

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Jan 2008 at 11:51 PM
anyone? Help?

Lab Assistant
#9 Old 24th Jan 2008 at 12:11 AM
No, Sims2 pack files aren't allowed for uploads. There's a link... can't remember exactly which, but part of the upload process tells what kind of files are allowed.

The parts that you want to upload are the mesh file and at least one recolor of the mesh. You need to zip them into either a .rar file or a .zip file (NOT both) They can be either separate zipped files or together.

You'll also need at least one in-game picture of a sim wearing the clothes. The rules about that are explained in the upload process too. Our moderators here are very good about explanations for what is required.

“Meddle not in the affairs of the dragon; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.”
-unknown
retired moderator
#10 Old 24th Jan 2008 at 4:40 AM
Yes, sims2pack files are allowed (and required) for full sim uploads, as well as lots/housing. For all other areas we want .package files. We don't want people uploading clothing as full sims though, but a .sims2pack is standard for a full sim upload.

Rapsheba, in that file the first file is your sim, second is the skintone, third is the clothing recolour, and the fourth should be your mesh. Uncheck all but those last two, install the file to your Desktop, and open the files in SimPE to be sure.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 31st Jan 2008 at 10:35 PM
So they ARE allowed, right? those last 2 posts conflict on that, but I'll take HP's word for it. Ok, that works. And if I want the whole sim uploaded, I just use the sims2packfile. Ok, thanks!

Lab Assistant
#12 Old 31st Jan 2008 at 11:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rapsheba555
Ok, I found all the meshes in the d/l's folder, but I have a recolor of one of them that I can't find there. But i know i have it in-game. Help?

I know I may be late to this party, but,

If you definitely know the recolour shows up in BodyShop, and the game, make another recolour package in BodyShop. Then just upload that one with the mesh.

Sorry, no more requests for the preg teens.
retired moderator
#13 Old 1st Feb 2008 at 12:04 AM
Rapsheba - .sims2packs are -required- for full sim and lot uploads. For all other types we want .package files.

t2suggas - That works, yes, but that degrades the graphics quality - sometimes a little, sometimes dramatically. Each generation of textures you make a project and import gets a little worse in quality, so it's much better to do the packing it on a sim method, which will find you the recolour you already have.

Lab Assistant
#14 Old 1st Feb 2008 at 7:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
t2suggas - That works, yes, but that degrades the graphics quality - sometimes a little, sometimes dramatically. Each generation of textures you make a project and import gets a little worse in quality, so it's much better to do the packing it on a sim method, which will find you the recolour you already have.

Thanks, HP.

That explains a lot, I didn't know about texture degradation. I know now why my first recolours are usually ok, but the second, third and so on, turn out pixelated.

I would expect then, that to get better textures, to export the original again, and not work out of the projects folder.

Sorry, no more requests for the preg teens.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 2nd Feb 2008 at 5:10 AM Last edited by Rapsheba555 : 2nd Feb 2008 at 5:27 AM.
ooookay, now I have another problem. *sighs tiredly* I need to post the poly counts on the mesh, but I can't find my saved backups, and I don't feel like extracting the mesh again. Is there an easier way, like another copy of the file in projects, or saved sims?

EDIT: Never mind. i just re-extracted them.

Banned Asshat
#16 Old 2nd Feb 2008 at 9:08 AM
when you extract the mesh with SimPE there is a box were you can view the mesh eh?
Left of it you can view how many groups the mesh contains and how they are named.
Above it you can view the polycount of the mesh.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 2nd Feb 2008 at 8:18 PM
ah, yeah, NOW I see that. *grumble* Thanks.