Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Banned Asshat
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jan 2007 at 11:58 PM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 8th Jan 2007 at 6:37 AM. Reason: edited to clarify the title
add/clone new material definition (to a body mesh)?
I want to add a new or cloned material definition and txt image in SimPE to make my mesh with extra alpha's work.
Is there a tut. on how to do that?
I tried about every thing possible
Thnx so much
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 7th Jan 2007 at 12:06 AM
This tutorial isn't specifically about what you want to do but it does contain the steps needed to make a new material definition and texture: http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=103379

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Banned Asshat
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Jan 2007 at 12:10 AM Last edited by bLURR : 7th Jan 2007 at 12:19 AM.
Oh, thanks, gonna check it out

Thats a real old tut for objects.
They dont speak over if it has to belong to the same groups, fix intigrity etc....
Part-time Hermit
#4 Old 7th Jan 2007 at 6:00 AM
Even though it's old, it still applies. And it does tell you to Fix Integrity .
Banned Asshat
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Jan 2007 at 7:42 AM
just want to add a new or cloned material definition and i just dont get it right
*adjusted numoverrides
* added/made new material def
* added txt image's
*assigned them to correct group
*fiexed intigrity, etc etc etc
How many numoverrides can you have?
Scholar
#6 Old 7th Jan 2007 at 7:55 AM
Part-time Hermit
#7 Old 7th Jan 2007 at 8:36 AM
bLURR, what do you mean by numoverrides? Are you talking about Material Overrides? There is no limit (that I know of) how many MMATs you can have, but you can only have 2 recolorable subsets. First of all, are you trying to replace an existing Material Definition and texture to a subset, or adding a new subset with its own material and textures?
Banned Asshat
Original Poster
#8 Old 8th Jan 2007 at 3:17 AM Last edited by bLURR : 8th Jan 2007 at 3:41 AM.
ok, maybe its not even possible but this is wat i did:
Made a shortskirt as a bottom only using the files afbodyslip_brown and afbottommomtailered for the mesh
And its working fine, it has envcube(reflection) on the skirt and the boots.
But now i need just 1 extra MMat so i can make the skirt transparant, the legs normal and the boots reflective.
Im using bottom for the boots and alpha3 and alpha5 for the skirt and wanted to add just 1 extra for the legs..(i already tried to rename them diffrent, no succes)
So i increased the numoveride in my propertyset(cpf editor) from 3 to 4 and, added the 3 lines for the overideresourcekey, shape and subset and renamed them properly)
Cloned a excisting mmat and text image and renamed all properly, fixed intigrity etc etc.
but watever i try, i dont get it working

Thankyou Tornado, i read that tut cairfully and i dont think i have made any mistakes.
Thank you Bliss for your quick response and yes i want to add a mmat's and one text image ...
Part-time Hermit
#9 Old 8th Jan 2007 at 6:37 AM
Oh, this is about body meshes, that is a totally different area from objects and I'm not very knowledgeable in that. My subset adding tutorial will not work on that, I thought you were talking about objects when I suggested that. I'm moving this to the Bodyshop section.
Scholar
#10 Old 8th Jan 2007 at 8:12 AM
Here is how you do it to add a new part to a body mesh

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...1131#post631131

Notice also that you do not ever want to use "fix integrety" on a body mesh after the first time. If you do, it will un-link your mesh from the BodyShop recolor .package, and you will have to do that part all over again.

Since I have never seen a Maxis body mesh with more than three groups, it still might not work - 3 might be the maximum.
Banned Asshat
Original Poster
#11 Old 8th Jan 2007 at 10:12 AM
Thank you very much, both of you
Since i tried practily everything i think also 3 groups is the max here, but gonna give it another try.
Thnx again
Instructor
#12 Old 9th Jan 2007 at 12:51 PM
bLURR, if it appears that 3 groups is the maximum, you can regroup your alpha3 and alpha5 into one single alpha group so long as it's okay that they share the same texture. The result is the same as with alpha3 and alpha5, the material definition doesn't need other changes but you may have to set the opacity to 0xFFFFFFFF in the SHPE for the group that will support the alpha settings (um, if I remember well, I use the hulaskirt for that and the shape settings are already the right ones) .
This way you should be able to have a normal group, a reflective one and an alpha.
Now, be careful to keep a copy with separate layers, else further editing can get very painful

Marvine and Beosboxboy at InSIMenator.net and Gay Sims Club 2
Banned Asshat
Original Poster
#13 Old 10th Jan 2007 at 12:37 AM Last edited by bLURR : 10th Jan 2007 at 12:43 AM.
Thnx Marvin, i think i did something similar.
Its now working with 2 alpha3 files wich are identical except 1 is inside layer and 1 outside, but your right, next step is to regroup them, uh but? Wat about the opacity then? if you regroup them you can only assigne 1 opacity value.(in milkshape that is)
Thank you very much
Alchemist
#14 Old 10th Jan 2007 at 1:04 AM
I was unaware of a 3 group limit, but I learn new stuff all the time.

I do know that you can make more than one group with the same name. I have seen hair meshes that have a 'hair' group, about five named 'hair_alpha5" and five named "hair_alpha3". This file loads and displays just fine.

While the opacity for all the alpha3 groups is set at 3, I don't know if that has to be so. Each group (as you see them in MilkShape and the game), regardless of name, has a place to store its own unique Opacity value. But I admit I never tried to give groups with the same name different opacities.

<* Wes *>
Banned Asshat
Original Poster
#15 Old 10th Jan 2007 at 1:14 AM Last edited by bLURR : 10th Jan 2007 at 1:29 AM.
My mistake, i rechecked the both alpha 3 files and there both opacity 3, so i better regroup them.
Normally its outside opacity 5 and inside opacity 3, but its working with both set to 3, im a happy man :P
Oh wait, both alpha3 groups have a fatmorph......gues i can regroup them too then, i must....
Instructor
#16 Old 10th Jan 2007 at 9:53 AM
The opacity for the hula skirt which is a single group is 1 in Milkshape, and both sides having the same opacity works fine with blend mode enabled so long as the inside layer is above the outside one in the groups tab before regrouping (so, not the original hula skirt of course given the way it's built, but the kind of alpha where the inside is a reversed duplicate of the outside).
I'm not sure if the opacity number has any importance apart from telling in which order different alpha groups should display - so, probably none when there is only one, and I don't think either that it needs to match the group name but it should still match the settings in the SHPE.
Now, if you have two alpha3 groups, in fact for the game it's a single one and won't cause any issue; so after all it may be a good way of keeping your alphas separate for further editing.
Um, so in conclusion, my advice would be to leave them as they are, I don't see anything wrong in the way you solved the issue, on the contrary!
Banned Asshat
Original Poster
#17 Old 10th Jan 2007 at 2:58 PM
oh, oke
But there's alot less confusion if i regroup them though, there are 8 groups now on that mesh, i already made some mistakes by editing the wrong one.
Got to check that hulaskirt out, i alway's use the afbodyslip but that one doesn't have bumpmappes enabled, i think
Thank you Marvine for your advice
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#18 Old 10th Jan 2007 at 6:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dr Pixel
Here is how you do it to add a new part to a body mesh

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...1131#post631131

Notice also that you do not ever want to use "fix integrety" on a body mesh after the first time. If you do, it will un-link your mesh from the BodyShop recolor .package, and you will have to do that part all over again.

Since I have never seen a Maxis body mesh with more than three groups, it still might not work - 3 might be the maximum.

Now this is an interesting piece of information that I was not aware of, glossed over, just didn't absorb (enter any other reasons for failure to notice this warning in the tutorial). Perhaps we could make a "How NOT to blow up your MESH" section, so new guys, like us, don't kill too many meshes.

Perhaps we can extract these vital pieces of information and put them in the wiki or something?

don't fix integrity after the first time ...
don't weld your seams.
don't blow up your mesh....
don't snap your front mesh add on to your back mesh add on and expect to color both sides or import it into the game... .

repeat after me,... "I LIKE starting over!" Sheesh! It's enough to make a teetotaler take up drinking!