Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Aug 2015 at 7:04 PM
Default Create fence "on-top" of wall
Can anyone point me to a tutorial to create fences "on-top" of walls? Much googling and no luck... I didn't think it was possible until I saw the pics in this build: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=542918 (there's some close-up shots that show a layered wall/fence setup using cfe; they're all the way at the end of all of the of the pics). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
#2 Old 11th Aug 2015 at 9:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pxljce
Can anyone point me to a tutorial to create fences "on-top" of walls? Much googling and no luck... I didn't think it was possible until I saw the pics in this build: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=542918 (there's some close-up shots that show a layered wall/fence setup using cfe; they're all the way at the end of all of the of the pics). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The creator of the build you refer to @tsyokawe is such a nice person, as well as being an awesome builder, that if you message her I am sure she will tell you herself.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 11th Aug 2015 at 10:07 PM
Hm. Maybe they used moveobjects on (the cheat) and built a wall in the same spot as a fence (or vice versa)? Or maybe (still using moveobjects on) they dragged a wall so it was in the same place as the fence (or vice versa, again). I don't know. I'd try messaging tsyokawe, the creator of that house. It looks like they were active just earlier today, so they might get back to you pretty quickly.

Hello, I'm Anna! :) I like playing violin, writing, and simming of course!
my tumblr - starblasted muffin
Scholar
#4 Old 11th Aug 2015 at 10:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pxljce

@pxljce

Last year, I posted a tutorial here , but that's only using a foundation. I've long since abandoned that technique.
It's actually quicker and easier, not to mention more accurate to use CFE.
If you can give me till tomorrow, I can make you a picture tutorial on how to combine two fences (or even a fence and a wall) using
CFE. :lovestruc
Mad Poster
#5 Old 12th Aug 2015 at 12:37 AM
I used to do this in sims2...unless this is totally diffrent?
This is not a wall, but just another fence. A brick fence. Thicker but shorter. The iron fence being taller, it looks like it is built on top, but is actually in, the brick fence.
I do not remember if moveobjects on is needed.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 12th Aug 2015 at 8:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tsyokawe
@pxljce

Last year, I posted a tutorial here , but that's only using a foundation. I've long since abandoned that technique.
It's actually quicker and easier, not to mention more accurate to use CFE.
If you can give me till tomorrow, I can make you a picture tutorial on how to combine two fences (or even a fence and a wall) using
CFE. :lovestruc

@tsyokawe
I'm happy just knowing it is possible but a brief tutorial, whenever you have time, would be awesome. I tried messing about with cfe, but nu-uh.

@Thranduil Oropherion @starryelliot
Turns out she is a very nice person and in future I'll contact the creator first. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

@Rosebine
I'm not sure moveobjects on would make a difference in this case (I did try it in combination with everything else I could think of and no luck).
Scholar
#7 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 7:43 PM Last edited by tsyokawe : 14th Aug 2015 at 1:27 PM.
@pxljce

The tutorial ended up a little more involved that I'd expected. I remembered too late that you wrote that you are a beginner with CFE.

I started the tutorial for Intermediates, actually. But what I've done is add a few spoiler buttons in the tutorial to review how to use CFE to lower a floor. It really won't be that difficult. If it comes across as difficult, then I'm not explaining it properly.
I'll need your help for that. If I'm not clear enough, be sure to ask questions, and I'll adjust the tutorial accordingly.

I suggest playing on an empty lot making single rows of different fencing.
Experiment with placing stairs versus single steps.

This should be relatively simple since you're not trying to make ramps or arcs.
This is just a matter of lowering a floor to a certain height so that it will match the height of your fence.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=562199

If you have any questions or need me to clarify some of my stuff there, go ahead and reply to its thread, or PM me if you prefer.

p.s. I'll add information regarding the use of cfe (to add 3D architectural exterior stuff) in this thread this evening or tomorrow.
I wrote it yesterday, and made screenshots but I've gotta go somewhere this afternoon.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th Aug 2015 at 6:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tsyokawe
@pxljce

The tutorial ended up a little more involved that I'd expected. I remembered too late that you wrote that you are a beginner with CFE.

I started the tutorial for Intermediates, actually. But what I've done is add a few spoiler buttons in the tutorial to review how to use CFE to lower a floor. It really won't be that difficult. If it comes across as difficult, then I'm not explaining it properly.
I'll need your help for that. If I'm not clear enough, be sure to ask questions, and I'll adjust the tutorial accordingly.

I suggest playing on an empty lot making single rows of different fencing.
Experiment with placing stairs versus single steps.

This should be relatively simple since you're not trying to make ramps or arcs.
This is just a matter of lowering a floor to a certain height so that it will match the height of your fence.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=562199

If you have any questions or need me to clarify some of my stuff there, go ahead and reply to its thread, or PM me if you prefer.

p.s. I'll add information regarding the use of cfe (to add 3D architectural exterior stuff) in this thread this evening or tomorrow.
I wrote it yesterday, and made screenshots but I've gotta go somewhere this afternoon.

Thank you so much I'll try it out a bit later and let you know how it went.