Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 2:03 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default On Which Graphics Card Are You Playing Without A Problem?
Hello!
More than half a year ago I bought a new laptop with NVIDIA GTX 1060 graphics card and on Windows 10.
Of course TS2 went completely crazy and no matter what solution I tried, both here and on LeeFish, nothing stopped my crashing and pink flashing problems. I gave it months.
I now gave up on trying to make TS2 work on my new laptop and accept that it just will not. So I want to get another system on which I can play TS2 like in the good old days.

Could you tell me on which graphics card and windows version you play The Sims 2 without problems of extreme crashing and pink flashing textures?
Would be super helpful!

During my research I'm starting to understand that the problem is more with the new graphics card series (like GTX +1000) than it is with the Windows 10.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 5:55 PM Last edited by d_dgjdhh : 17th Sep 2018 at 1:25 AM.
I play The Sims 2 will all expansions & stuff packs**** (except for Happy Holiday) on:

Desktop
Edition: Windows 10 Professional
System Type: 64-Bit
Version: 1709
OS Build: 16299.665
Processor: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20 GHz
Storage Drive: Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD 500 GB
Installed RAM: 16 GB

Video Card (Dedicated)
GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 1080*
Texture Memory: 8 GB
Display Driver: v390.77
DirectX Runtime Version: 12.0**

Game
Type: CD Versions
Custom Content Installed: ~265 MB
Resolution: 1920 x 1200 pixels***
Mode: Windowed

*I don't have GeForce Experience installed. Never chose that option when installing the display drivers.
**I also installed "DirectX 9.0c End-User Runtimes June 2010" on my system PRIOR to installing The Sims 2.
***The resolution in windowed mode is actually around 1902 x 1156 pixels.
****After installing a disc of the game, I apply any applicable patch(es) PRIOR to installing the next disc.

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#3 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 8:16 PM
I suspect the issue is more Win10 than graphics cards per se.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 8:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by d_dgjdhh
I play The Sims 2 will all expansions (except for Happy Holiday) on:

Desktop
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Professional 64-Bit
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.20 GHz

Dedicated Video Card

*I don't have GeForce Experience installed. Never chose that option when installing the display drivers.
**I also installed "DirectX 9.0c End-User Runtimes June 2010" on my system PRIOR to installing The Sims 2.

We have very similar specs!
Have you had the crashes and pink flashing issues like many other simmers had who have GTX 1060 - 1080 and operating on Windows 10?
If not, then I'm even more confused about what causes these issues...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 8:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
I suspect the issue is more Win10 than graphics cards per se.

Yes! You might be right. After some talks I had with other simmers today I also discovered that it had more to do with Windows 10 than the video cards!
Some suggest that Windows 7 runs it without any problems.
But with a brand new laptop like mine, installing Windows 7 is a bit scary. I don't know if i7 processors support it or if I'll be find all the drivers I need that'll be compatible with anything lower than Windows 10.
Alchemist
#6 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 9:02 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 16th Sep 2018 at 3:48 PM.
I have UC with no Origin connection on a Lenovo W530, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, Intel i7-3840QM 2.80GHz, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2000M with 2GB memory using 4GB patch. I've never seen pink flashing. I get a little lag if I try to play very large lots or lots with more than 12-13 active sims.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 9:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xRedcrossx
Yes! You might be right. After some talks I had with other simmers today I also discovered that it had more to do with Windows 10 than the video cards!
Some suggest that Windows 7 runs it without any problems.
But with a brand new laptop like mine, installing Windows 7 is a bit scary. I don't know if i7 processors support it or if I'll be find all the drivers I need that'll be compatible with anything lower than Windows 10.

Well, I went back to Win7 on my i7 machine. The game is running fine. Win7 is going to be supported for another year or so I think.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 16th Sep 2018 at 12:20 AM
I am on a Nvidea 1050 TI Windows 7 64 bit (I got 7 put on purposely), but I still can't say it's without issue as I now get infrequent pink flashing. I am finding I need to delete build thumbnails so I might start doing that before every load up since I can't predict when the pink flashing will start again. before this I had an absolute horror story with a Radeon card-and will never buy it for older games again.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#9 Old 16th Sep 2018 at 12:42 AM
Before I say what graphics card I play on now, here is what I played on (custom desktop) before-
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
I had all the games installed from disk and had a flashing pink mess that would clear up for a while
but always come back when I least expected it. Gave me bad dreams.
I got the Ultimate Collection and could not get it to work- it would seem to play OK but always crash or not save.
Sims 3 played fine, Sims 4 too, but who wants to play Sims 4? Not me.
I ended up buying a pre-made desktop just to play Sims 2 and the specs are pretty laughable compared to the custom built-
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
System Manufacturer: Acer
System Model: Aspire TC-885
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz (6 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Card name: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630
I installed from disk only up to Seasons.
I would be lying if I said the graphics are great- I have a lot of medium settings and no reflections on.
But the game runs like a top and I am enjoying the heck out of it!
Theorist
#10 Old 16th Sep 2018 at 1:07 AM
I play on a laptop (Acer), Windows 10, chipset no graphics card . I have the UC and it works pretty well. I have a cooling pad and keep it on when I play Sims 2 or 3 because this thing gets hot. I have 8 GBs Memory which made HUGE difference in game play. I don't often crash on Sims 2.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Undead Molten Llama
#11 Old 16th Sep 2018 at 1:28 AM
As of a few hours ago, I, like Jo, have a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti installed, and my Simming machine has 64-bit Windows 7 Pro on it. (It's a desktop, not a laptop, and it's an older model.) As of right now, it's running on the driver it came with, and I'm probably not going to update it, unless I run into problems, because I've found that the latest drivers just don't seem to like the game much. Or maybe that's just my computer, I dunno. In any case, so far, so good.

Pink flashing, however, is not really a function of your video card. Well, OK, it IS...but just getting a different/newer/better one isn't necessarily going to solve the problem. That being said, I've read that the flashing can be caused by a disagreement between the game and Win 10. IIRC, some folks had some issues with pinking after a Win 10 update a while back. IIRC, it also happened when EA pushed the update to the UC that removed SecuROM. But mostly? Pinking is just inherent to the game. It happens when your video card runs out of texture memory, plain and simple. This is NOT the same as running out of SYSTEM memory; the 4GB patch will not fix this, as it addresses utilizing 4GB of system memory rather than the 2GB that it's otherwise limited to. It's when the game runs out of the portion of your video card's memory that's dedicated to storing textures, specifically. The pink happens because the game doesn't handle this situation in the best of ways, and unfortunately this is not something that can be fixed; it's a function of the game's coding. When it runs out of texture memory, it just starts "forgetting" textures that have been loaded into the graphics card's texture memory. When you're at the max, it kicks out a texture (or 10...or 100) that it's already loaded in favor of loading new ones like, say, when you load a different lot, so the game has to dump all those associated textures SOMEWHERE. The textures that get kicked out in favor of new ones then flash pink when they were displaying just fine before.

There are two ways to "fix" this, though neither is an "ultimate fix;" there are limits in the game's coding, as I said. But the options are:

1) Reduce the amount of textures the game has to load in a given play session. This means playing smaller neighborhoods that are less heavily-decorated. This means maybe not hopping between lots as much you might like, which reduces the amount of textures the game has to load. This means perhaps not using a crapload of high-res CC in your neighborhoods. This would be things that have large, space-eating texture images. Which is things like, say, custom skies/horizons, objects converted from newer games, high-res neighborhood deco, higher-res default terrain replacements (like CuriousB's or any of the high-res ones I've made), and custom hairs.

2) Force the game to use ALL of your video card's texture memory instead of just some of it. By default, the game will not do this! It was probably set that way to ease strain on the weaker video cards of the day, so as-is, it won't use all or even a majority of the texture memory and will start to pink instead. The easiest way to do this forcing is with the Graphics Rules maker. Or, if that doesn't work for you and/or you want to do it manually, look here: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthre...=41063#pid41063

But like I said, NEITHER of these is an "ultimate fix." If you cram a crapload of high-res stuff into a large, heavily-decorated neighborhood that has many, many lots, you will "pink out" eventually, and it will happen faster if you often bounce between lots. In short, it's inevitable, but the more texture memory you have, the longer you can stave it off. Doing one or the other (or both) things above will give you longer to play before it happens.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 16th Sep 2018 at 1:39 AM
I never had pink flashing before getting this new computer. Now I have had it about 4 times. I am of course on the 4gb patch along with everything else. Gummi said she deletes thumbnails and this stops it so I am going to do likewise.

The recent pink flashiness of doom was on a 1 by 2 lot and the next was a hood of downloaded and my own built CC free houses. So not lot size or CC.

I noticed before this while building that each catalogue section had to think. So only Maxis content, pause then open. After deleting the build thumbnail my next load up did not do this pause, and no pink flashing so I am taking that pause as an indication that the game was struggling.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Undead Molten Llama
#13 Old 16th Sep 2018 at 1:50 AM
Yep, the thumbnail file gets loaded into texture memory. All of the game's graphics do, including the graphics for the UI. Sometimes, for some reason, the thumbnails get bloated. Deleting them refreshes the cache and gets rid of the bloat, which can contribute to pink flashing. This is especially so if you have a lot of custom objects and/or (especially if you use CAS a lot in a play session) a lot of custom CAS stuff, which of course adds new thumbnails to the catalogs. Of course, this also means that, in-game, all the thumbnails have to reload because you dumped the cache that it otherwise uses. This can greatly slow down loading in your catalogs, which is annoying. I'm not sure I'd want to delete those caches often.

Pretty much, you want to do anything you are willing to do to reduce the amount of textures that get dumped into your texture memory AND you want to force the game to use all of your video card's texture memory.

To the OP: It's really not the kind of card that matters -- pretty much ANY card these days will run the game on highest settings with a good frame rate -- when it comes to the pink issue so much as the amount of memory it has. The more memory it has, the bigger the "chunk" of memory that's dedicated to textures. For instance, I went from a 2GB card to a 4GB one, mostly to get more texture memory because one neighborhood I play is chock-full of high-res CC and is heavily-built up. I could only play it for an hour or two before it'd start to pink. With the new video card installed, I've been playing it for about six hours now, and no pink yet. Also, the game outright crashing (as opposed to pink-flashing textures appearing, after which the game may or may not crash) is a different issue. Have you applied the 4GB patch to make the game Large Address Aware? If you haven't, that is the likeliest cause of the crashing. See the stickied thread at the top of this forum.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 16th Sep 2018 at 2:24 AM
You know before this on my old computer I had never deleted a single thumbnail. Not even once and I had that install for at least 6 years. It has to be something in the new set up causing it to bloat very quickly.

Mine was opposite, after deleting the build thumbnail my next playthrough was smooth and without a long pause. The game itself might have taken longer to load, but since moving to an SSD my load time has been cut by a third anyway. makes me wonder if it's the SSD's fault for this fast over bloat. I am also now on 4 core instead of 2 but I bought a faster CPU to compensate for that, but that is another difference.

OP deff use the 4GB patch, graphic rules and standby memory. Details in the sticky help thread.

~Call me Jo~
Undead Molten Llama
#15 Old 16th Sep 2018 at 2:39 AM
I've never had to delete thumbnails; my caches have never bloated. I did it once, though, thinking it might fix another issue. (It didn't, but it was worth a shot. ) After that, it took for-freakin'-EVER to load each "page" of the catalogs, and also each little window when I went to use the swatch tool to pick a different recolor for something took forever to load. Very annoying! But yeah, I'm still on an HDD, which probably doesn't help. An SSD is probably going to be this thing's next upgrade, even if I only load TS2-related stuff on it so's I don't have to totally wipe everything and reinstall Windows and all that. But for now...HDD.

ANYWAY! I suspect the thumbnail-bloating might be an issue with newer processors. My Simming machine has a Core2Duo and so did its predecessor and before that I ran the game on single-core processors because multi-cores didn't exist. Basically, I want the closest I can get to a system like one the game was designed to run on, since I don't do anything on this machine other than TS2-related stuff and dinking around on the internet. And, like I said, my thumbnail cache has never bloated. But, I could be wrong about that, too. It just seems to me that the farther away your machine gets from the sort of machine the game was designed for, the more likely it is that screwy things will happen. I'd count bloating thumbnail caches as "screwy."

Mad Poster
#16 Old 16th Sep 2018 at 7:24 AM
Pink flashing is not something that happens in windows 10 only as far as I know - some systems seem to have more problems than others.

I believe that there are plenty of players using Windows 10 without problems anyway, especially the UC.

You also don't need to delete the thumbnails folder - just look inside and delete those which are very high.

I use the UC and after removing some CC a while ago, pink flashing actually stopped - but it only happened two or three times to my game before that over a long period.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 16th Sep 2018 at 7:41 AM
I'm on windows 7 so I don't think it's related to window version. My guess is it's the extra cores, that seems to be a big thing for this game since it was designed to run on 2 core machines.

I am deleting the build mode thumbnail because that's the mod that seems most affected by the pink flashing on mine.

~Call me Jo~
Undead Molten Llama
#18 Old 16th Sep 2018 at 2:10 PM Last edited by iCad : 16th Sep 2018 at 2:26 PM.
Operating system has nothing to do with pink flashing aside from, as I said, a Win10 update here and there sort of conflicting with the game -- probably affecting how it's processing textures -- which is usually fixed with the next Win10 update, which seems to happen, what? Every other hour or so? (Note: That is hyperbole, yes, but....God, I wouldn't touch that OS with a 99-and-a-half-foot pole. ) Pink flashing is a graphics issue, happening, as I said, when the game has eaten all of your video card's texture memory, which it does sooner than it should because it doesn't process textures in an ideal way, as I've said. Or rather, it DOES process them in a good way IF all of your game's graphics are low-res, which is what the game is designed to use. I'd say that about 98% of the textures that come with the game and its EPs/SPs are low-res, having texture images 512x512 pixels or smaller. The majority of them are (much) less than 256x256. Meaning, they don't take up much space in texture memory, when loaded in the game. So, instead of, say, dumping all the textures from one lot when you load another, the game keeps every graphic it ever loaded in a play session in the video card's texture memory. This is a GOOD thing in the sense that it makes for shorter load screens. It's a bad thing now ONLY because people are routinely using CC that is high-res, having texture images much larger than 256x256. I mean, the custom skies that (mostly) Lowedeus and I have made have textures that are either 2048x2048 or 4096x1024 pixels. Most custom horizons are 2048x2048. Most custom hairs are 1024x1024, and a lot of custom clothing is that size, too. Most textures for objects converted from TS3 or TS4 (games DESIGNED to be higher-res than TS2) are 1024x1024 and some are four times that, at 2048x2048. You dump all that in your game -- plus other things -- and yeah, your game is going to look really pretty...but the consequence of that is that your video card's texture memory is going to get eaten pretty damn fast. And, as I said, the game's programming is such that, once your video card's texture memory is eaten up, it starts randomly "forgetting" textures that it's got stored in there and putting in new ones instead. Which means pink flashing.

So: Pink flashing is, I'd say, about 95% the fault of the player, for making the game use a bunch of stuff the game was never meant to use. (Which is not some sort of accusation because I not only use high-res stuff, I deliberately make it! ) You can force the game to do things it was never meant to do, sure, and a video card with a crapload of texture memory will definitely "aid and abet" doing that forcing. It's a very flexible game that way. However, there are consequences of making the game do stuff it wasn't designed to do, and pink flashing is one of them. I'm sorry to keep going on about this, but...People need to be aware of this. A certain kind of video card ISN'T going to fix pink flashing. You "fix" it by being aware of what the hell you're doing when you download/install CC and then being very conscious of how you use the high-res stuff that you DO decide to download/install. People tend to worry -- as they should! -- about high-poly stuff, but that's only half the equation. Polycounts affect rendering time and power used, which contributes to physical strain on one's video card; texture size affects the amount of texture memory that gets eaten. They're two entirely different, but related, issues. Usually, higher-poly stuff tends to have higher-res textures as well because those look the prettiest, but it is VERY possible to have a low-poly object that is ultra-high-res. Custom skies are one of them, for instance.

As for processors...The Core2Duo and Core2Quad processors were developed while the game was in production, starting in 2006. (I researched this stuff when I bought my latest Simming computer, trying to find the best "fit" amongst what was still available for purchase.) The Core2Duo processor that my current Simming machine has is the "Wolfdale" version of that Duo processor, which was released in January of 2008, which is roughly the same time as the last quad-core was released. IIRC, Apartment Life and Mansions & Gardens were released toward the end of 2008 and then TS3 came out in 2009. So, the processor I currently have was high-end state-of-the-art at the END of the game's production. When the base game was released in 2004, multicore processors didn't exist and even at the end of production, when they did exist, the average computer user didn't have one because the average Dell or Gateway prebuilt machine that most people had wouldn't have had one. Rather, the game was designed for Pentium processors, specifically the Pentium 4, I believe, which was the most common processor of the time. Not multicore at all, but it's the processor that the game "likes." It'll also do well with Core2Duo/Quads, since they did at least exist during the game's production. The game has no real idea WTF to do with an i3/5/7/9 processor (or maybe it's the other way around, actually, that the processor doesn't know what to do with the game), but it'll gamely chug along on them nevertheless. The consequence of THAT, though, is that things are more likely to be screwy, with weird things happening when the game (or the processor) goes "Huh?" For instance, the game will often lag on such processors, unless you set it so that the game only uses one core. Which is why you see complaints like, "I've got this super-fancy-awesome gaming rig with an i9 processor and a crapload of system RAM and my super-old TS2 game lags...WHY????!?!???" Answer: With TS2, newer hardware is not necessarily better.

Anyway, this is why I specifically bought a machine that has the processor that it has. It has two pluses: It was very cheap (The entire machine cost ~ $100, though of course I put more money into certain upgrades -- more system RAM and better video cards, specifically.) and it runs TS2 really well, with no issues other than stuff I cause myself by making the game do stuff, graphics-wise, that it was never intended to do. Of course, it wouldn't be good at all if I played any newer games, but since the newest game I play is TS3 on occasion? It's perfect.

Test Subject
#19 Old 16th Sep 2018 at 9:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by d_dgjdhh
I play The Sims 2 will all expansions (except for Happy Holiday) on:

Desktop
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Professional 64-Bit
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.20 GHz

Dedicated Video Card

I'd really like to know what settings you're using with the 1080. I have a 1060 and am having trouble solving the flickering problem/grayed out smooth edges option.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#20 Old 16th Sep 2018 at 9:49 PM
I always have my graphics card control the antialiasing and anisotropic filtering. I find it gives better results visually to override the application settings.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 16th Sep 2018 at 10:03 PM
Look - some people don't like Windows 10 - but I have been extremely happy with it, and the updates are not that intrusive - Windows 10 is improving all the time.. No Windows update has had any effect on my game. None, zero, zilch.

I also use GForce Experience - no problems at all.

I started using UC when it came out and successfully moved it to Windows 10 when that was released (from 7, i think, and about a year or so later).

The difference that I can see - I do have an older graphics card - a Nvidia GTX 650 - which I kept when I rebuilt my pc (between UC and Windows 10 somewhere), and since it still works, I am still using it - so maybe there may be a problem with better graphic cards, but I don't believe it is Windows 10 myself.
Scholar
#22 Old 16th Sep 2018 at 11:53 PM Last edited by d_dgjdhh : 17th Sep 2018 at 12:14 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Yukaizer
I'd really like to know what settings you're using with the 1080. I have a 1060 and am having trouble solving the flickering problem/grayed out smooth edges option.

I forgot to mention a few more things:
- I play the game on an M.2 SSD.
- I play in windowed mode
- I use the CD/DVD disc versions of the game (not Ultimate Collection)
- I don't have SecurRom installed (e.g. they've been removed)
- After installing a disc, I apply any application patch prior to installing the next expansion/stuff pack.
- Don't have that large amount of custom content installed (only around 270 MB worth)
- I manually edited the Graphics Rule.sgr files myself without using the Graphics Rule Maker (so that I can get the desired resolution I wanted).
- I manually edited the Video Cards.sgr files myself to show only my graphics card:

Here's what I have in windowed mode:

- I do get the issue with black shadow squares below a Sim when I set the Shadow setting to High. So instead, I keep it on Medium.
- I can set the Reflections to On, but I choose not to because I prefer it off (unless I'm talking pictures and want it on).
Screenshots

See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Scholar
#23 Old 17th Sep 2018 at 12:21 AM Last edited by d_dgjdhh : 17th Sep 2018 at 12:31 AM.
We have very similar specs!
Have you had the crashes and pink flashing issues like many other simmers had who have GTX 1060 - 1080 and operating on Windows 10?
If not, then I'm even more confused about what causes these issues...
No, I don't usually have pink flashing issues. I may have encountered it a couple of times in my several years of playing. It was because my computer was very hot internally (like during the summers).

However, I did, on occasion, have a message stating the game must terminate. It usually occurs when some Sim is calling the lot via the phone. I suspect whoever that Sim is has something missing from them. I don't know what it is, and never felt like investigating who it is.

@Justpetro

I agree, I don't think it's a Windows 10 issue. It's probably a combination of things, like custom content, the overheating of the computer, integrated graphics vs. dedicated graphics, multiple background tasks running alongside the game.

I also think that because a laptop's components are so closely furnished together, and the game is demanding on the CPU and GPU, the heating of the laptop will cause the game's graphics to not display properly. For desktops, maybe dust build up and lack of adequate fan ventilation is another cause for malfunctioning graphic displays of the game (overheating issue)?

Lab Assistant
#24 Old 17th Sep 2018 at 1:19 AM
I have never had crashing or pink flashes. I use the Ultimate Collection, no Origin, Securom removed. I altered the Graphic Rules and Video Card files by hand.

Specs
Windows 10 home
Intel i7-7700 4.20 Ghz (8CPU's)
Nvidia Gforce GTX 1060 6GB
Field Researcher
#25 Old 18th Sep 2018 at 11:54 PM
Hello!
More than half a year ago I bought a new laptop with NVIDIA GTX 1060 graphics card and on Windows 10.
Of course TS2 went completely crazy and no matter what solution I tried, both here and on LeeFish, nothing stopped my crashing and pink flashing problems. I gave it months.
I now gave up on trying to make TS2 work on my new laptop and accept that it just will not. So I want to get another system on which I can play TS2 like in the good old days.

Could you tell me on which graphics card and windows version you play The Sims 2 without problems of extreme crashing and pink flashing textures?
Would be super helpful!

During my research I'm starting to understand that the problem is more with the new graphics card series (like GTX +1000) than it is with the Windows 10.

Thanks!
Run your Sims on the HD graphics. The HD graphics, HD-4600 and up, will play Sims 2 just fine. If your processor is 7thGen, then you have HD-630, or 620 graphics, which will run The Sims 2, 3, and 4 just fine.
Right Click "Computer", Left click "Properties" locate "Device manager", and look under "Display adapters" to confirm your video.
Page 1 of 2