Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th May 2011 at 4:32 PM Last edited by murfee : 9th May 2011 at 3:09 PM.
Default Is there a DirectXMesh Equivalent for 3dsMax? [SOLVED]
In Milkshape, under Tools you can use the Direct X Mesh Tool to lower the polys on a mesh. I love that tool; it really shaves away unnecessary weight on a mesh! What I wanted to know was if 3dsMax has something similar, where I can just click and drag and miraculously get rid of 1000s of polys at a time, or something?

I ask, because I've got this .3ds mesh that I'm trying to import into Milkshape, but the .obj is not loading. I exported the .3ds file as an .obj file, but in Milkshape I get no reaction, so I opened the .obj file in 3dsMax and it shows up! So I suspect that there may be too many polygons for Milkshape to handle or something, because Milkshape does tend to freeze/crash on me if I try to load anything upwards of 10,000+ polys. So I wanted to shave it down in 3dsMax before putting it back into Milkshape.

Any tips or help or anything would be vastly appreciated! Thanks!
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 6th May 2011 at 11:13 PM
You have at least 2 modifiers to do this : MultiRes and Optimize. Eventually you may have a 3rd one, ProOptimizer.

The options and features of this modifiers are so extensive that I recommend a good research on the Max Help Files.
Sockpuppet
#3 Old 7th May 2011 at 10:54 PM
Milkshape is limited to either 60 or 65000 polygons, but 10000 shouldn't give any problems
http://www.pixel2life.com/forums/in...showtopic=22851
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th May 2011 at 2:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mesher
You have at least 2 modifiers to do this : MultiRes and Optimize. Eventually you may have a 3rd one, ProOptimizer.

The options and features of this modifiers are so extensive that I recommend a good research on the Max Help Files.

That is EXACTLY what I wanted to know! Yeah, I'm gonna have to read those help articles extensively, but Thank you SO much for telling me about those modifier thingies. The crazy thing is, I had opened that menu before, looking for something in the Mesh Editor that might help me, but since I didn 't know what anything was I just left it all alone! Thanks again!

Also, I don't know, I thought Milkshape COULD handle lots of polys at a time, too --it must be my computer, because even 3ds max slows down on me with heavy polys. I AM on a Vista laptop.